Old 30-01-2021, 09:15 PM
Startrek (Martin)

ZWOASI2600MC and ZWOASI2600MM

Just been reviewing the new 2600MM camera specs against my 2600MC and so far can’t see any major differences other than the absence of a Bayer matrix filter arrangement on the MM or maybe I’m missing something ??
Same physical size
Same connections
Same backlit sensor
Same cooler
Same performance specs according to the 4 graphs presented by ZWO
Same weight
Same, same, same
So my question is why is the MM $280 more expensive than the MC ( ZWO site ) Bintel don’t have the MM on their site as yet or at least it wasn’t there when I checked

I welcome comments from folk more familiar and experienced with cooled mono cameras than myself who’s only used cooled colour

Thanks
Old 30-01-2021, 09:36 PM
jahnpahwa (JP)

I don't think there will be a manufacturing cost to justify it. Mono has a big flexibility advantage, and I reckon people are willing to pay for that, so of course that is what's charged.

I'd be interested to know if the bayered sensors cost them more as inputs to production.
Old 30-01-2021, 09:59 PM
billdan (Bill)

Yes Mono camera's are more expensive than Colour. The sensor cost from Sony must be lot higher for Mono (less volume shipped out maybe).

I notice on the QHY site, the list price for the QHY294C is $999 and the QHY294M is $1299.
Old 31-01-2021, 07:23 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

I would imagine the mono sensor is a case of astro cam makers convincing Sony to make chips available without the bayer matrix. Low volume (Comparatively) special orders mean higher cost.
Old 31-01-2021, 09:46 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Yup, it’s the volume factor.

Sony will be pumping out conventional Bayer CFA and X-Trans (for Fujifilm) in relatively large quantities compared to those mono runs. I don’t have one yet, but we’re pretty lucky they got convinced to do a run without any CFA this time around, and you can bet they got convinced by $$$
Old 31-01-2021, 10:08 AM
gregbradley

I imagine that they have to remove the CFA but still put on the microlenses.
So that would be a mono version of the CFA as the microlenses are coloured with dye on the colour version.

Also I don't know how accurate this is but with the 294M its listed with a different sensor number by Sony. So perhaps they consider it a different sensor tweaked or not tweaked for mono. I presume the 2600 has the same sensor number?

We are lucky Sony is doing this so it must mean the astro business is large enough to warrant them doing a mono. This is the same sensor as used in the Fuji XT4.

Greg.