Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2012, 08:49 PM
ddastider (Dean)
ddnebula

Exclamation Advice on shipping damages, issues from USA or overseas

Hello all,

would anyone please tell a newbie, where to buy spare parts here or overseas for cracked plastic knobs, the blue cover on one side of the popular Vixen SXW mount head (hit by accompanied heavy counter weights in a twice as large the box size than needed !)

I paid $234 postage for normal delivery without extra on different types of insurance or priority options. I think everybody involved has duty of care.?!

Though i was told can take 2 weeks, I got within 5 working days- unbelievable !

It is visually obvious due to poor packing, rough handling or dropping while shipped from USA via USPS (lack of uncommon common sense!)

under such situations, Can I claim anything from USPS or sender at post office or seller- shop or private for preventable damage? I heard cheaper freight forwarders are even worse.

Kindly share what similar experiences you had and what you have done to solve the problems.

Many thanks for looking at the thread - hope, can help others.

NB I am waiting, now praying for my telescope ..
Old 04-08-2012, 09:43 PM
torana68 (Roger)

couple of things, who packed it? you didnt get insurance? was this Ebay? look up USPS and see what they say about damage
Old 05-08-2012, 12:04 AM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

Secondly was it purchased by credit card, and so covered by Australian law under Repudiation (Chargebacks) "goods not fit for sale". If the goods arrive to you in a state of not fit for sale - there are protections under Australian Laws - provided you bought them with a credit card (part of the Australian Banking Credit Card act).
Old 05-08-2012, 01:40 AM
Tandum (Robin)

Matt, you think that would apply to paypal purchases with a credit card? robin./

I recently bought 100 microscub cloths off ebay and they look like curtains cut into squares

Only cost $2.50 inc post from china. Damn cheap post ....
Old 05-08-2012, 07:59 AM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

I recently had something shipped and rather than pay insurance to the freight company, I rang my insurance company who said they'd cover the item, subject to my normal excess.

I was surprised, but as I had it in writing (email), I accepted it and saved myself a lot of dollars on insurance. Fortunately didn't need to use the insurance.

Your policy may vary.

DT
Old 05-08-2012, 11:08 AM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

To the best of my knowledge, the Credit Card act covers any payment by an Australian issued card (but I am not sure if the merchant or agent has to be Australian based, to be liable under Australian law).

You find out by contacting your Card issuer and saying "I have bought and received goods that are not fit for sale and wish to repudiate the sale and initiate a charge back to the merchant under the credit card act; may I have the forms to start the process" from there confirm with them you have tried to contact the merchant to seek relief (which wasn't forthcoming for whatever reason).
Old 07-08-2012, 09:56 PM
Rod771 (Rod)
Turn the lights off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTrap View Post
I recently had something shipped and rather than pay insurance to the freight company, I rang my insurance company who said they'd cover the item, subject to my normal excess.

I was surprised, but as I had it in writing (email), I accepted it and saved myself a lot of dollars on insurance. Fortunately didn't need to use the insurance.

Your policy may vary.

DT
Hi David

Sounds like a great way to go. What type of policy was the freight covered by? Home and contents

I am also looking at importing some equipment in soon
Old 07-08-2012, 10:41 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod771 View Post
Hi David

Sounds like a great way to go. What type of policy was the freight covered by? Home and contents

I am also looking at importing some equipment in soon
It was my home & contents policy. My insurer isn't a mainstream one - their cover is quite extensive, so I asked the specific question via my broker.

Please don't rely on my comments - check out your own policy.

DT