Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 25-05-2021, 09:42 PM
AnakChan (Sean)

At least in Japan, the FSQ85ED now comes as the EDP only. The Flattener 1.01x comes with it as default, although they do sell the 1.01x separately still.

I'm glad I got my pre-EDP and bought the 1.01x separately as I still have the 50.8 accessories included.

You can use something like this configuration with the Nagler which gives crazy wide views.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (DSC_3516.jpeg)
97.8 KB68 views
Old 25-05-2021, 10:19 PM
yoda776 (Matt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilso View Post
If you go through their system chart it specifies what adapters come with the scope as well.
I have been trying to go through this and can see a few adapters if I look at the person in Hong Kong he shows the parts that come with it and seems the CAA unit comes with it and looking at Claude's pictures and others from japan it seems this has a dual speed focuser as well?

I guess I wondered if I needed the 1.01x flattener or not and adapter.
Old 25-05-2021, 10:27 PM
yoda776 (Matt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post
At least in Japan, the FSQ85ED now comes as the EDP only. The Flattener 1.01x comes with it as default, although they do sell the 1.01x separately still.

I'm glad I got my pre-EDP and bought the 1.01x separately as I still have the 50.8 accessories included.

You can use something like this configuration with the Nagler which gives crazy wide views.
I know Claude from AEC sells the FSQ85-EDX so I am not entirely sure of the the field flattener status - presume it does not come with one and need to get one? Also it comes with a dual speed focuser by default? I know they do not come with finder scope or bracket. I have seen your posts on CloudyNights I think with the flattener and adapter.

Nice setup you have there AnakChan - I have a 31mm T5 Nagler as well so that is good to know it fits. I like crazy wide views especially if looking at ETA Carinae. I also have a T2 and T5 Nagler 20mm EPs, 2.5, 5, 9, 13mm and 26mm Naglers which I am sure should do well too. I have a Pentax HR 2.0 eyepiece I bought when I was in Japan in 2019 and it is a nice EP especially on the moon - the detail is amazing. I do have a Televue 40mm widefield I am not sure how that would go. i often wondered how goo the Pentax EPs are with Taks - I presume they do quite well.
Old 25-05-2021, 10:30 PM
yoda776 (Matt)

Quote:
Hi Matt,
Reading through the Fsq-85edp Japan website you linked to they quoted

“ With the release of the FSQ-85EDP, the conventional FSQ-85ED with 50.8 adapter specifications will be discontinued.”

So no 2” adapters come with the scope for visual I think, hence the P for photo.
In any case I use mine with Baader Clicklock visual back and diagonal anyway.
You’ll have to remove the CAA ring for this 2” set up to come to focus though.

Enjoy
The 'P' part makes some logical sense to me. I know Claude sells the EDX version so hoping that has the 2" adapter. What part number is the Baader Clicklock visual back adapter?
Old 26-05-2021, 04:58 PM
Wilso

Baader visual back , you should also be able to use it on the Tsa-120 if it has the m72 thread. Add a little bit of graphite powder to the thread so not to cause any grief when undoing.
Baader #2956272 part no. with Clicklock

Last edited by Wilso; 26-05-2021 at 05:52 PM.
Old 26-05-2021, 07:08 PM
UniPol
I Prefer Refractors

It seems that Tak are now supplying an FSQ-106EDP as well as the FSQ-85EDP. Both models are basically unchanged optically since their inception, Tak just re-design the visual backs with new or existing adaptors. The following links pertain to the current Tak FSQ offerings :
https://www.takahashijapan.com/ct-ne...106edp-mc.html and https://www.takahashijapan.com/ct-ne...fsq-85edp.html

I've attached some pics of my FSQ-85, if you purchase the current FSQ-85EDP it is easily converted to accept 2" eyepieces with the addition of the Tak 2" screw in adaptor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (FSQ-85 - 6.jpg)
203.8 KB59 views
Click for full-size image (DSC00012 - 2.jpg)
166.7 KB61 views
Click for full-size image (DSC00014 - 2.jpg)
193.5 KB47 views
Old 26-05-2021, 10:36 PM
yoda776 (Matt)

Quote:
Baader visual back , you should also be able to use it on the Tsa-120 if it has the m72 thread. Add a little bit of graphite powder to the thread so not to cause any grief when undoing.
Baader #2956272 part no. with Clicklock
Thanks Wilso for the advice and would be great if the the Baader visual back actually worked for both scopes. Only wish Tak parts were cross compatible ... they seem to know how to sell their gear for maximum sales!
Old 26-05-2021, 10:50 PM
yoda776 (Matt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniPol View Post
It seems that Tak are now supplying an FSQ-106EDP as well as the FSQ-85EDP. Both models are basically unchanged optically since their inception, Tak just re-design the visual backs with new or existing adaptors. The following links pertain to the current Tak FSQ offerings :
https://www.takahashijapan.com/ct-ne...106edp-mc.html and https://www.takahashijapan.com/ct-ne...fsq-85edp.html

I've attached some pics of my FSQ-85, if you purchase the current FSQ-85EDP it is easily converted to accept 2" eyepieces with the addition of the Tak 2" screw in adaptor.
Nice pics there UniPol of your FSQ85 ... I have asked Claude from AEC if the EDP is available for Australia as he still advertises the EDX version and a couple of queries. He is checking with Tak Japan. I did not the article was from 2017. I am not sure I am that fussed as long as I know whether I need the flattener or not and what I should have visually (and perhaps for imaging).

I read on Cloudynights somewhere that the different regions may have had different models. All I know is hardly anyone wishes to give in and sell their FSQ85! Sort of speaks for itself.

What adapters do you typically receive with the FSQ85?
Old 26-05-2021, 10:52 PM
yoda776 (Matt)

BTW the TSA120 arrived today ...the cloud decided to pay a visit and almost felt like not bothering with the eclipse but managed to shoot off a few photos. Seems to hold true ... get a scope arrive and the weather determines it needs to extract payment in the form of cloudy nights!

Photos of scopes to come.
Old 26-05-2021, 11:08 PM
astro-smart (Dale)

I have a TAK FSQ 106ED running at F8 with 1.6X multiplier.. I like this setup pretty well for about 900mm targets...
Old 27-05-2021, 09:13 PM
yoda776 (Matt)

Hi Dale, Nice scope and once considered this option, but unfortunately for me a little pricey and having the TSA120 and perhaps the FSQ85-EDX seems more logical for my pathway.
Old 27-05-2021, 09:24 PM
yoda776 (Matt)

I finally opened up the boxes ... like a new car smell, but smells like telescope packing Sat there admiring the 'art work' and decided a current family photo was in order.

Notably one of the kids is missing ... (FSQ85-EDX although working towards ordering) Sounds like more items will be on sale in the future!

The FS60Q has been taken for a spin and interesting to note when the telescope optics are better how you can arrive at a different opinion about your eyepieces and why the hype around more expensive and / or top of the line eyepieces (i.e. keep the glass in the system at the highest quality and you observe something special). Still comes down to seeing of the night (or day if terrestrial), what your setup is and how good your eyesight is. Hoping to get my eyes to take in some good photons viewing through the family set.

Tak Mewlon - Deep sky and planets
TSA120 - at the moment flat out viewing, but considering imaging as a possible option
FS60Q - great views of the moon, terrestrial, could go widefield

The FSQ85-EDX would probably round things out with more of a widefield balance.

Oddly enough the Meade ED80 5000 series is like a comfortable old shoe and I just use it.

Trying now to reconcile which scopes will stay as I am back to too many again. Any recommendations based on the scopes in my signature are welcome.

Enjoy the family photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20210527_204506.jpg)
172.1 KB102 views
Click for full-size image (20210527_204706.jpg)
168.7 KB79 views
Click for full-size image (20210527_210209.jpg)
159.3 KB68 views
Click for full-size image (20210527_210230.jpg)
179.8 KB69 views
Old 27-05-2021, 09:38 PM
yoda776 (Matt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda776 View Post
Nice pics there UniPol of your FSQ85 ... I have asked Claude from AEC if the EDP is available for Australia as he still advertises the EDX version and a couple of queries. He is checking with Tak Japan. I did not the article was from 2017. I am not sure I am that fussed as long as I know whether I need the flattener or not and what I should have visually (and perhaps for imaging).

I read on Cloudynights somewhere that the different regions may have had different models. All I know is hardly anyone wishes to give in and sell their FSQ85! Sort of speaks for itself.

What adapters do you typically receive with the FSQ85?
Feedback on the EDP is it is the Japanese only version, so the EDX is it. Guessing if you went to a store like Kyoei Osaka online you might be able to grab an EDP version that way, if that option takes your fancy. Gone with the EDX version.

Noted with the TSA120 having unboxed it that the screws for the finder are ridiculously short, so might need a trip to the hardware store for some compatible cap head screws. That was a bit of poor form considering the cost of the scope. The screws to hold the dew shield are excellent. Focuser will need a bit of movement to get it into the rhythm. Thanks to a fellow astronomer I have a 7 x 50 Tak finder for the TSA120 scope.

The dovetail on the Mewlon really makes you feel the scope is 'plug and play' more so than the TSA120 while is straight OTA and no finder. Now to find those notes on installing the Moonlite focuser!
Old 28-05-2021, 09:19 AM
UniPol
I Prefer Refractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda776 View Post

Noted with the TSA120 having unboxed it that the screws for the finder are ridiculously short, so might need a trip to the hardware store for some compatible cap head screws. That was a bit of poor form considering the cost of the scope.
Matt, the cap screws supplied are short for good reason as the tapped holes for the finder bracket in the focuser body go all the way through to the focuser tube. Generally speaking the depth of a fastener should be at least two times its nominal diameter however the finderscope is very light and is not subject to any great forces. I've seen quite a few damaged focuser tubes over the years because people use screws that are too long.
Old 28-05-2021, 01:28 PM
yoda776 (Matt)

Point taken UniPol. The issue is the screws do not even go through the findwr to connect with the scope at all. That for me is bad. Inunderstand not making them long, but the screws i received are unusable to attacha finder. Considering the price of a screw or two they could have had something long enough to accommodate a finder bracket a d not foul the focuser tube.

Appreciate the thought and will keep in mind as i do not wish to damage the new scopes.
Old 29-05-2021, 09:55 AM
UniPol
I Prefer Refractors

I meant to ask Matt, are the screws you are talking about Phillips head perchance? Tak usually fit them with their scopes to plug up the finder mounting holes and if you buy a new finder it comes with 2 x cap screws and 2 x washers in a sealed plastic bag.
Old 29-05-2021, 11:06 AM
GUS.K (Ivan)

I had the same screws for the finder on my new FC100, I replaced with SS M5 12mm long Allen head bolts from Bunnings.
Old 29-05-2021, 12:48 PM
yoda776 (Matt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUS.K View Post
I had the same screws for the finder on my new FC100, I replaced with SS M5 12mm long Allen head bolts from Bunnings.
Yep just grabbed the same myself the M5 cap head bolts you can tighten with an allen key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniPol View Post
I meant to ask Matt, are the screws you are talking about Phillips head perchance? Tak usually fit them with their scopes to plug up the finder mounting holes and if you buy a new finder it comes with 2 x cap screws and 2 x washers in a sealed plastic bag.
Well there is an "ah ha" moment for me. That would be the reason. They just provided philips head versions to plug thw holes. Guess that makes sense. Thanks UniPol. Not used to buying a new Takahashi the tak finders a re bit pricey so have been lucky to get a couple of secondhand ones 6x30 and a 7 x 50. Had some M5s with the 6 x30 when i purchased the FS60q secondhand.

Mystery solved!