Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 06-01-2010, 11:29 PM
rogerg (Roger)

I originally thought it wasn't worth me putting in the details since my observations have been so minor, but seeing all the replies now I probably should..

Name: Roger Groom
Type of Program: Occultations & Comet observations
Number of observations per year: 4
Observations submitted to (eg CBAT): Not sure what to put here. Observations have been for specific requests from astronomers. Not submitted to a central database.
How many years interested in astronomy: 15
Achievements: Name on a couple of papers as a person who contributed data.
Scope Used: 12" LX200 Classic
Mount Used: LX200
Camera (if applicable) used: SBIG ST7-ME (mono)
Old 08-01-2010, 08:04 AM
PeterM

Terry,

This thread is really exciting as well as interesting. I'm sure that Mike and the mods have noted the potential value of this thread to both members and the community as a whole.

It clearly shows that amateurs have, can and still do, even with today's super technologies, make valuable contributions to the science of Astronomy. The replies so far (and I know there are more i.e Astrojunk who regularly undertakes scientific reporting) should be inspirational to those who may be thinking about contributing to one of the many avenues available.

We all know that there is a wealth of knowledge on Ice In Space, we now have a condensed, clearer indication of what others are doing. This is extremely valuable and should not disappear down the list of threads.

I propose that this thread should be the start of a new section in Ice In Space (IIS members contributing to the Science?) that would allow for members to at a glance see who is doing what or at least bookmarked so that those wanting to make a start in one of the areas know where to start.

Thoughts on this?

PeterM.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:53 AM
CometGuy

Thanks Peter,

It is certainly very interesting to see what people are up to. I was thinking of contacting the moderators to see if we get this turned into a sticky thread if there was further interest. For the time being I'll give it an occassional "bump".

I know there are plenty of other members out there...calling astrojunk, bird(what a find that was!), David Higgins, loomberah (although I think is really more a pro), etc, etc
Old 11-01-2010, 12:08 PM
Greg Bock (Greg Bock)

Amateurs Conducting Scientific Astronomy Programs

Name: Greg Bock

Type of Program: Supernova search program known as the “3S (Snapshot Supernova Search) Program” which operated between 2004 and 2007, now to be re-developed and operated again in 2010 in conjunction with the BOSS team.

Number of observations per year:
The following stats apply to the “3S Program” at Bannockburn Observatory 2004 to end 2007 inclusive.

My stats only counting the ST8 images. (I used an MX516 between 31 August 2000, and 9 March 2004 with no record of how many I took)
No. galaxies on my list = 403, all classed as spirals

2004 – 21/2 to 31/12 = 1478
2005 – 19/1 to 24/12 = 3672
2006 – 9/1 to 23/11 = 2166 (numbers reduced once I commenced working with Sicame and had to travel alot, and also upgraded the 10” Meade to a 12” Meade which cost some time)
2007 – 29/3 to 29/11 = 1884.(No SN search images in January and February while I was side tracked with colour imaging with the Canon 350D thru the MN61, and observatory closed when we moved house mid December 2007)

2008 – 2009, no observatory at home in Windaroo. Instead, much colour imaging done at Leyburn each available month. ‘Leyburn Dusty Downs’ observatory first light night on 25 April 2009.

Total “3S Program” supernova search images taken for 4 years = 9,200 images, at an av. per month for Feb 2004 to Nov 2007 is 200. (9200/46)

During those 4 years, the ST8 recorded 27,684 images, of which 9,200 were kept as part of SN searching, others were for colour images, test images, just playing around, etc

Observations submitted to (eg CBAT): None as a discoverer. However, I have searched for SN since the late 80’s in various ways, but have also assisted a number of principal investigators and discoverers with post discovery confirmation work to confirm and publish a number of SN suspects going back to the early 2000’s. This includes discoveries by Bob Evans, Peter Marples, and Stuart Parker available from CBAT.

How many years interested in astronomy: 45
Achievements: just personal ones involving imaging, building various scopes, and lotsa astro-fun with mates at Leyburn and other dark sky sites in south east Qld with the BAS and SAS over the last 23 years.

Scope Used: For the “3S Program”, 10” and 12” LX200’s in Bannockburn Observatory, 14” LX200R ready to go at new Windaroo Observatory early 2010. For colour imaging at “Leyburn Dusty Downs”, mainly use a 6”F6 Intes MN61.

Mount Used: Meade LX200GPs, and Losmandy Gemini G8, Losmandy G11.

Camera (if applicable) used: “3S Program” - ST8, colour images taken with a Canon 350D unmodded.

As of January 2010, Windaroo Observatory is under construction (very slow) and will include a Meade 14” LX200R on a Losmandy G11 for continuation of the “3S Program” with the BOSS team. Hope to be operational early 2010.

Greg Bock
BackyardObservatorySupernova Search
Windaroo, Qld. Halfway between Brisbane and the Gold Coast.
Life is too short for a small telescope.
Old 13-01-2010, 09:22 PM
CometGuy

Stats updated with Greg and Rogers details.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (stats.gif)
43.1 KB35 views
Old 20-01-2010, 07:54 AM
PeterM

The stats certainly paint an interesting picture.

The amateur with an SCT type scope on GEM with Monochrome CCD is certainly equipped well enough to make significant discoveries/contributions. Just add the desire and motivation and this "How to and Who to contact" thread, and the numbers could swell. The $ cost is also very affordable. As a starter a used SCT 8inch OTA ($500ish?) on a used EQ5 pro ($900 ish??) with say a used ST7 / Starlight Xpress SXVM7 / even a Canon 350d-400D ($500-$1000) all up say $2500 (used) seems a good investment to start such a project.

PeterM.
Old 21-01-2010, 05:46 PM
PeterM

Rather interesting to see where your contributions to the science can end up.

The Astronomers Telegram (no ATEL2389) reports that Russell & Inmler (NASA/CRESST/GSFC) using the Swift X Ray telescope made observations of Stuart Parkers Supernova discovery SN2009mk (in ESO293-34) noting an X ray point source was detected consistent with the optical position of the SN.
This was followed with a lot of science jargon that is obviously of value to someone, but the point is made, amateurs can and do make real contributions even today to the science of Astronomy, and that professionals do use these contributions in many various ways.
PeterM.

Last edited by PeterM; 21-01-2010 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:19 AM
PeterM

Time for a bump on this one and a special request to the mods that this be placed under the new science section as a sticky along with Avandonks recent thread "Who you going to call".

I see both these threads as just as important as having the sticky to the hundreds of astro suppliers out there. They contain a great wealth of "been there done that" knowledge that I know some here would appreciate.

A very recent situation comes to mind in that an unknown object was found in images taken by IIS members, not knowing who to contact initially they sent a discovery advice to CBAT. Through various means they eventually contacted Astroron and then myself and with assistance of Greg Bock were able to identify what that object was in the image. They have indicated having access to a list like this would have been very valuable indeed.

PeterM.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:07 PM
binofied

This is both my info and an invitation to the right person. I think I am posting to a group already suited to having the equipment and skills needed to do well calibrated, guided exposures of a given star and enjoy science work.

For three years now I have been involved in a pro-am collaboration, doing extra solar planet searching, using gravitational microlensing. We managed one discovery each season that I have been involved. Since only about 400 planets have been discovered to date (using any methods) and I have been part of four of those. As an "amateur" I have had input, to part of a collaboration, for one percent of all know extra solar planets!

We have a large number of us involved in New Zealand (Auckland here) but very few in Australia. The issue is this. We need light curves from one star, with as much 24hr worldwide saturation coverage as possible, over about a five day period. However when it’s cloudy here in New Zealand or Tasmania or Perth where we have a few observers already we have large gaps in the light curve. This makes it much harder or impossible for the Pro’s to decipher the information to figure out if there is a planet or to be able to constrain the mass, distances etc of the planet.

To contribute you would need to be able to do a all of the following;

Have a commitment to several overnights of imaging in a row as an event unfolds. Two nights are a minimum for data to be useful.
Have a 10” or larger telescope that can be used at a moments notice
Be able to take a series of five minute guided exposures
Be competent at image calibration (flats, darks)
Have a B&W preferably cooled CCD camera.
Have enough internet bandwidth to upload about 30Mb zip file at the end of the night
Be able to find a given RA Dec using pinpoint or other plate solving method

If you’re interested in more information because you think you could honestly contribute to this exciting research please get in touch with me.

David Moorhouse
acrux@orcon.net.nz
0064 274 819 089 (mobile)

Oh yeah my other details for this list

Name: David Moorhouse
Type of Program: Extra Solar Planet hunting
Number of observations per year: about 130 hours of five minute exposures
Observations submitted to (eg CBAT): Ohio State University, uFun collaboration
How many years interested in astronomy: 10
Achievements: Discovered four planets, built 16” binoculars
Scope Used: Celestron C14
Mount Used: Celestron C14 with Byers upgrade
Camera (if applicable) used: SBIG ST7
Old 12-04-2010, 10:14 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

I support the call to have an 'amateur astronomer conducting science' forum. Apart from all the good reasons already presented it would be a great inspiration to those of us on the periphery (perhaps the very edge of the periphery) of amateur science. It is a great inspiration to read what the 'big boys' are doing and with what equipment. It makes you think even you can do it. Even reading the bump this morning has had me out tonight planning which trees to lop so I can see the sky from home and do some planned scientific obs.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:21 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

I was away on my travels when this thread was first posted

Name: Ron Knight
Type of Program:Supernova searching
Number of observations per year:now about 50, but in the past many hundreds
Observations submitted to (eg CBAT):1
How many years interested in astronomy:40
Achievements:Non as such but missed a supernova in NGC 1448 discovered by Bob Evens by 12 hours
Scope Used:8" SCT, 16" Truss Newtonian
Mount Used:Fork, Dobsonian
Camera (if applicable) used: Non.

I was involved in a visual Supernova search group convened by Dr In Wilson for about eight years using both my 8"and 16" scopes,and made hundreds of observations over that time.
I have let it laps due to travel and weather but hope to restart again in the near future.
I also think a separate thread would help to generate an amateur, professional collaboration.