Old 09-10-2012, 12:22 PM
mPtr (Michael)

Smile Need some advice

Hi Guys,

I'm still a beginner when to comes to astronomy (on and off for about a year now), but the times I do pull out my telescope and view the heavens, I'm always amazed. I remember seeing the rings of Saturn for the first time, I felt like I had won the lottery.

Lately I've been considering about getting into some basic astrophotography but I am not 100% sure what equipment I should get. At the moment I have a Celestron Nexstar 4se as my telescope and a Olympus OM-D E-M5 camera. My plan is to try and combine the two but I'm not sure if the correct T-rings/adapters are a available to make this possible. I've had a look on a few sites but could not see a Celestron branded t-ring for my camera.

The other idea I have been playing around with is getting the vixen polarie star tracker as it looks like it could be a good start in astrophotography.

At the end of the day, what I am trying to do is take some photos of the moon, stary sky and possibly photos of Saturn and Jupiter (although I would image these would be very small).

If someone could provide some advice or point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciated it.

Thanks.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:00 PM
loki78 (Jon)
Look Up!

Firstly, welcome to IIS and dark art of astrophotography!

I could see heaps of Olympus T Rings just when googling 'olympus t ring' so unless yours needs a specific type you shouldn't have too much trouble. I didn't notice any locally so you might have to get from a place overseas. The other option to start with is afocally which is holding or ideally mounting the camera with a lens up against the eyepiece on the telescope. You would be surprised with how good a shots can come from this, especially of the moon to start you out. If you go the prime focus and T ring option and don't want to ship overseas, try calling/emailing some more local astro stores. They may have the part but not advertise it or may be able to get it in for you.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:01 PM
loki78 (Jon)
Look Up!

This thread might get moved by Mike or one of the moderators to the beginners equipment section so if so, don't think it was deleted, just moved
Old 10-10-2012, 09:21 AM
mPtr (Michael)

Thanks for the assistance Jon.