Old 10-11-2021, 10:00 PM
Drac0 (Mark)

EQm-35 Pro & USB

Been using an EQM-35 Pro for a while now, the older version without the USB (or power light) on the control box. Been using it happily with the adapter direct to the laptop no problem. But got a new one today with the USB on the box and for the life of me I cannot get it to connect using just the USB. Is there something I'm missing? Do I need to find a special driver? Does it even work that way?

Can connect to the handset port with the adapter and through the handset using pc-direct perfectly fine but the USB has me totally stumped. It's not important, I will just keep using the adapter if required, but really curious about getting the USB going.

Cheers,
Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (EQ35_contoller.jpg)
196.1 KB191 views
Old 11-11-2021, 06:15 AM
JA

Hi Mark,

Perhaps the port has to be enabled in software or initialisation steps or the other PC port disabled or communication mode changed.

Best
JA
Old 11-11-2021, 07:37 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Mark,
EQMOD supports the EQM-35 pro mount , I just checked the EQMOD website
You may be able to connect your mount direct to a laptop with a USB2A to USB2B cable ( max 5m )
Then you could use Stellarium to navigate , Goto , track , guide etc....(I’ve used EQMOD and Stellarium for years with both a HEQ5 and EQ6-R mounts )

Does your mount have a USB2B port ( printer type USB port ) ?

Martin
Old 11-11-2021, 08:03 AM
Drac0 (Mark)

Quote:
Perhaps the port has to be enabled in software or initialisation steps or the other PC port disabled or communication mode changed.

Best
JA
Maybe, but there is a definite lack of information out there about it.
Quote:
Mark,
You may be able to connect your mount direct to a laptop with a USB2A to USB2B cable ( max 5m )
Then you could use Stellarium to navigate , Goto , track , guide etc....(I’ve used EQMOD and Stellarium for years with both a HEQ5 and EQ6-R mounts )

Martin
I have no problems using it with EQMOD using either the adapter or through the handset - it has the USB2B port but I just can't get it working when using that and I can't figure out why. Not important, I may figure it out eventually.

Cheers.
Old 11-11-2021, 08:12 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Mark,

Martin
I’ve just had a look at your mount and it looks like it doesn’t have a USB connection on the motor control box , only the hand controller RJ45 port so you can remove the hand controller and replace it with an EQ Direct cable to your laptop and then control the mount from your laptop using EQMOD and your preferred planetarium or Nav software ( I use Stellarium)
I have the full procedure for EQMOD EQ Direct and Stellarium to control your mount
Let me know on all of the above
PS: You will not be using any of the Skywatcher apps or software to achieve the above method of control

Martin
Old 11-11-2021, 08:42 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drac0 View Post
Maybe, but there is a definite lack of information out there about it.

I have no problems using it with EQMOD using either the adapter or through the handset - it has the USB2B port but I just can't get it working when using that and I can't figure out why. Not important, I may figure it out eventually.

Cheers.
What baud rate are you using in the USB driver ?
If using a USB cable connection baud rate should be 115200
If using an EQ cable connection baud rate is 9600
Make sure you change it in device manager ( USB port ) as well as the Ascom window of EQMOD
I have 2 x EQ6-R mounts , one in Sydney ( USB2B connection) and one on the South Coast ( EQ connection with Shoestring cable ) I have to change baud rates when I’m at each site
I’ll attach my EQMOD and Stellarium procedures anyway
These replace the handcontroller ( handcontroller removed )
Cheers
Martin
Old 11-11-2021, 09:10 AM
Startrek (Martin)

FYI
Attached is an article from EQMOD about using the PC Direct mode of control of Skywatcher mounts
I went EQ Direct from the beginning
Cheers
Martin
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Skywatcher Mounts EQMOD PC Direct or EQ Direct.pdf (38.2 KB, 280 views)
Old 11-11-2021, 10:10 AM
Drac0 (Mark)

Quote:
I’ve just had a look at your mount and it looks like it doesn’t have a USB connection on the motor control box
The older versions didn't have the USB, the current versions do.
Quote:
What baud rate are you using in the USB driver ?
If using a USB cable connection baud rate should be 115200
If using an EQ cable connection baud rate is 9600
Make sure you change it in device manager ( USB port ) as well as the Ascom window of EQMOD
THAT FIXED IT!!!!
Changing the baud rate in EQMOD to 115200 got it working via the USB. Never thought about needing to change it there as it worked fine at 9600 with the connection through the EQ cable connection.

Thank you very much Martin! BTW - where on the South Coast is your away from Sydney setup if you don't mind me asking? I'm in Nowra.

Thank you again!
Mark
Old 11-11-2021, 11:05 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
The older versions didn't have the USB, the current versions do.

THAT FIXED IT!!!!
Changing the baud rate in EQMOD to 115200 got it working via the USB. Never thought about needing to change it there as it worked fine at 9600 with the connection through the EQ cable connection.

Thank you very much Martin! BTW - where on the South Coast is your away from Sydney setup if you don't mind me asking? I'm in Nowra.

Thank you again!
Mark
Mark,
Great news !!
Glad it’s now connected
My retirement getaway is at Narrawallee ( Bortle 3 skies ) and really nice considerate neighbours not like in Sydney where sky is Bortle 7/8 (which I can deal with) but inconsiderate neighbours leaving their backyard flood lights and side lights and garden lights , you name it blasting my house and yard all night ( on both sides ) Why ? For the life of me I don’t know. I suppose they have rights, but seriously a gross waist of energy not to mention trying to get to sleep even with your blinds down. There’s these devices called time switches and movement sensors , been around for decades, have they heard of them ??
End of Whinging !!!!
Glad to be of help
Clear Skies
Martin
Old 11-11-2021, 11:50 AM
Drac0 (Mark)

Narrawallee- nice, but you do need to lock yourself away during holiday season.

Take care & thanks AGAIN!
Old 11-11-2021, 12:10 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Narrawallee- nice, but you do need to lock yourself away during holiday season.

Take care & thanks AGAIN!
I have 5 kids and 4 grandkids that come down during school holidays and Xmas etc... so can’t lock ourselves away too much
These little towns can’t survive without holiday makers and visitors, all part of the deal, I never complain

Hope we get some better weather soon

All the best !!