Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 06-05-2022, 07:10 PM
bojan
amateur

Upgrade from W'7 to W'10.. strange thing happened

For some reason I decided to for it.. and I am still not sure if this was the good idea.

My Lenovo G570 was running w'7 Home edition sort of OK, with some issues..
After upgrade, all looked well, all apps were still there and working OK as far as I could see..
But today, there was a new pending upgrade offered, and I went for it.

First, after quite some spend in "configuring Windows", my login password was consistently refused as "incorrect".
So I powered the lap down and ON again.
This time password was accepted, but I couldn't recognize my own lap..

Familiar task bar content disappeared, to be replaced with only cpiple of apps..
Some icons/shortcuts from old login were still on the desktop, but some of them refused to work and some apps wanted to be re-installed..

Almost as if the system allocated new user with old password?
What happened here?

I am not panicking because this lap was not used a lot, but I still have some applications without original installation disks.. not to mention passwords in Firefox (all gone), as well as email app (Thunderbird, all my all emails are also gone).

Any ideas what caused this?
Thanks in advance!
Bojan
Old 07-05-2022, 04:30 AM
bojan
amateur

After 3rd manual power up.. everything seem to be OK as before ???
Except I still can't change the screen brightness... buttons are changing bar indicators, but actual brightness stays around the middle position..

Last edited by bojan; 07-05-2022 at 04:51 AM.
Old 07-05-2022, 04:51 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

checked to see what display driver is being used?
Old 07-05-2022, 05:32 AM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mura_gadi View Post
checked to see what display driver is being used?
System says "the best driver already used".
Old 07-05-2022, 05:55 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

When you click on start - Under the icons on the right of the pop up window there may be a slide bar for brightness. Otherwise - Settings - System - Display.

If your monitor came with a CD-ROM, web address etc to download drivers, you might have to reinstall them again.

*Due the nature of some web browsers to burn images into old monitors with the white trim on the apps display bar, controlling brightness is a real bugbear!
Old 07-05-2022, 06:53 AM
floyd_2 (Dean)

I guess it's possible that your laptop doesn't have all drivers available to support Windows 10. We have one like that. It's one of those ones where you can remove the screen and the screen becomes an android tablet leaving the base as a Windows machine that you can plug an HDMI monitor into. We tried upgrading it to Windows 10, and that functionality was impossible to get going. It turned out that the driver only supported Windows 8 and no higher. So back to Windows 8 we went, and we suffer that operating system on that machine to this day.

Take a look on the Lenovo website to see if you can find the drivers for your machine and see what OS they support. There might still be a chance. Windows will probably be using a generic driver. If you find the right driver for Win10 on the Lenovo site, try installing it.
Old 07-05-2022, 09:13 AM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd_2 View Post
Take a look on the Lenovo website to see if you can find the drivers for your machine and see what OS they support. There might still be a chance. Windows will probably be using a generic driver. If you find the right driver for Win10 on the Lenovo site, try installing it.

Already, did that, package refuses to install (it seems it is for w'7 only ?).
This also means there are no battery power saving settings (previously functional in w'7).
The only thing I can say about this, I was warned.

Before installing w'10, the installer app mentioned there may be display driver issues. For some reason I hoped the issue was solved in the meantime (laptop is from 2011).