Old 04-05-2022, 02:50 PM
Sconesbie (Scott)

Photography to tabet

Hi everyone. It's been a long time since I've been outside with my scope. I've found another hobby in woodturning and it's taken some of my time away from looking at the sky.

That said, I still enjoy the sky. I just need to get back out.

Is it possible to get some sort of camera for my scope (10" collapsible dob) to put into the eyepiece holder that hooks up to a cable of some description to go to either an iPad or tablet to capture the image? Therefore the image from the scope to camera is displayed on the tablet and the ability to record the image on the tablet screen?
Old 04-05-2022, 02:59 PM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Eaa

The process of attaching a digital camera to a telescope instead of an eyepiece and then directly viewing on a screen of some kind is often called EAA or Electronically Assisted Astronomy.

Though why a cable when you can cast/wi-fi from most cameras?

*If you had a very large very fast scope and 4k wireless transmission, the focuser automated for changing objects, EAA on a -8degree night holds a lot of appeal. Check YT for what you might see with a 10" with a similar camera.

Last edited by mura_gadi; 04-05-2022 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-05-2022, 04:22 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

+1 EAA
I originally used an analog camera that just stacked on a small 5 or 7" screen. But, I don't think they are available any more and it wasn't great.

Could you go to cheap laptop? Get sharpcap to live stack. It's like $10-15 per year. It can stack, stretch etc on the fly.You won't need a cooled camera as you will be using short subs (less than 10-20sec). I mainly used an asi224mc but you'd need to check sensor sizes for the objects you want to look at.

There's a forum devoted to EAA on cloudynights, but not here unfortunately.