Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-04-2022, 06:03 PM
AdamJL

NEW: Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer GTi

New mini EQ mount from Sky-Watcher.
5kg payload. Mount is 2.6kg. Counterweight is 2.2kg.

edit: cleaned up the thread with multiple YT reviews and links for purchase.

Video reviews:

Trevor Jones (AstroBackyard)
Nico Carver (Nebula Photos)
Alyn Wallace (this guy doesn't do deep sky as much, so a few things/comments were a bit basic)

Aussies:
Joel Stafford (The Tired Photographer)
Steven Morris (and first light video, and using it with NINA
Dylan O'Donnell (brief mention)

And Official Sky-Watcher Australia video (looks like Steven Morris got that job!)

$1,049 from your store of choice. $50 off RRP for now.

Sidereal
AstroAnarchy
Bintel

edit: a few more stores, some a touch cheaper than the majors above:

Camera Warehouse ($1,048)
Binocentral ($1,099.. i.e. no discount)
Diamonds Camera ($1,039, cheapest so far)

Last edited by AdamJL; 25-04-2022 at 03:35 PM.
Old 19-04-2022, 09:38 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Looks like a winner to me, Synta will be getting flogged with orders from around the globe so expect long lead times if you want one
They’ve modeled the design from their extensive EQ range of mounts but in a miniature compact light weight portable version
I think it runs on A4 batteries in 2 cartridges but does it have a power port to run off a single larger battery ?
Just a lovely little mount !!!
Old 19-04-2022, 10:18 PM
AdamJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Looks like a winner to me, Synta will be getting flogged with orders from around the globe so expect long lead times if you want one
They’ve modeled the design from their extensive EQ range of mounts but in a miniature compact light weight portable version
I think it runs on A4 batteries in 2 cartridges but does it have a power port to run off a single larger battery ?
Just a lovely little mount !!!
Hi Martin

Yes, it can run from external 12V power. It has a 2.1mm 12V power port, hand controller port, autoguiding port, and USB-B port for PC access.

I think the 5kg weight limit could have been improved, but we'll see if it can be pushed further like the AZ-GTI can.
Old 19-04-2022, 10:30 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
Hi Martin

Yes, it can run from external 12V power. It has a 2.1mm 12V power port, hand controller port, autoguiding port, and USB-B port for PC access.

I think the 5kg weight limit could have been improved, but we'll see if it can be pushed further like the AZ-GTI can.
Hi Adam,

I'd be curious to know your thoughts or any links etc, to how far the AZ-GTI can be pushed.

Best
JA
Old 19-04-2022, 11:01 PM
AdamJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
Hi Adam,

I'd be curious to know your thoughts or any links etc, to how far the AZ-GTI can be pushed.

Best
JA
Hi JA

I've just been following the (very long!) thread on CN on the mount, and have seen a few people go over the 5kg limit with good results.

here's the thread:
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5...to-wifi-mount/

Thing is, the AZ-GTI has a lot of variation from mount to mount so it's a bit of a lottery. You can "tune it" but that's no guarantee of success
Old 19-04-2022, 11:16 PM
JA

Thx Adam, I'll have a read.

Best
JA

EDIT: From CN thread for our reference here, some example payloads over 5kg limit...
- Used with a Tak 100 and other accessories at ~20% over payload limit , so ~6kg
- NP101IS, dovetails, diagonal, Telrad, and EP 14 lbs, so 6.3kg worked OK some vibration slewing
- "I had no problem using the AWB OneSky (15lbs / 6.8kg) to image M51 for 5 minutes."
- from <= page 30 in 130 page thread

Last edited by JA; 20-04-2022 at 12:10 AM.
Old 20-04-2022, 04:11 PM
AdamJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
Thx Adam, I'll have a read.

Best
JA

EDIT: From CN thread for our reference here, some example payloads over 5kg limit...
- Used with a Tak 100 and other accessories at ~20% over payload limit , so ~6kg
- NP101IS, dovetails, diagonal, Telrad, and EP 14 lbs, so 6.3kg worked OK some vibration slewing
- "I had no problem using the AWB OneSky (15lbs / 6.8kg) to image M51 for 5 minutes."
- from <= page 30 in 130 page thread
Excellent. You really can push that little gem if you get a good copy. Not everyone gets good copies though!
It does give me confidence that I can use 5kg on this newer mount. The Mrs has given approval for it to be purchased
Old 22-04-2022, 10:15 AM
AdamJL

Pre-ordered. Let's see how this goes...
Old 22-04-2022, 11:23 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

I don’t subscribe to the hyperbole from the YouTubers, but I’m curious as to how the mount differs from an AZ-GTi on a wedge.

The AZ-GTi can be quite an effective travel rig, mine seems to guide quite well, at least within my expectations.

For the extra $$ I’d hope the new mount has a more sophisticated drivetrain…
Old 22-04-2022, 01:40 PM
AdamJL

The AZ-GTI is a lottery in terms of being able to be used effectively as an EQ mount. There are some great samples out there and there are some not-so-great. This new mount also has a larger RA gear which should mean a sturdier travel through the cycle.

I like the size of the AZ-GTI to be honest, but also excited to be getting a proper mini EQ mount
Old 30-05-2022, 10:22 PM
JA

Here is a StarAdventurer GTi - Youtube review - from Highpoint Scientific...

Best
JA

Last edited by JA; 01-06-2022 at 09:45 AM.
Old 31-05-2022, 08:49 PM
Icearcher (Chris)

If the quality of the mount in the highpoint review carries over to the wider community then this is going to be one awesome bit of kit.

15 minutes guided exposures is amazing for such a cheap bit of kit.

Im even happier I place an order for one.
Old 31-05-2022, 09:35 PM
AstroViking (Steve)

I think that if I was just starting out in this hobby, a mount like this is what I'd want. Light, simple to operate, can carry a reasonable payload and with go-to capability.
Old 31-05-2022, 11:17 PM
Drac0 (Mark)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroViking View Post
I think that if I was just starting out in this hobby, a mount like this is what I'd want. Light, simple to operate, can carry a reasonable payload and with go-to capability.
Too true Steve - would have made the first real venture into astro a lot more enjoyable.
Old 01-06-2022, 09:12 AM
djsmyth88 (Dan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
Hi Martin

Agreed, kind of surprised they didn't boost the payload capacity beyond the Star Adventurer - but looks like a great piece of kit nonetheless.
Old 02-06-2022, 09:03 AM
Crater101 (Warren)
Mostly Harmless

As someone who has been a visual observer for a while, I've pre ordered on of these from Testar

https://www.testar.com.au/

to see how I go. Dipping my toe into the waters of astrophotogaphy after seeing much of the fine work on this site.

It DOES seem that there are good copies and bad copies, as far as production goes, from what I've read. I'll keep you posted.
Old 02-06-2022, 04:42 PM
gregbradley

That link shows all the Testar stocked products. Which one were you specifically referring to? The new Skywatcher Adventurer GTi?

Greg.
Old 02-06-2022, 04:44 PM
gregbradley

A Redcat 71 would be a good match for this mount. Also a William Optics 81mm would be good and a light ZWO or QHY camera.

Greg.
Old 02-06-2022, 05:11 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
A Redcat 71 would be a good match for this mount. Also a William Optics 81mm would be good and a light ZWO or QHY camera.

Greg.
Hi Greg,

In the Highpoint Scientific review I linked earlier it shows the StarAdverturer GTi mount used with a Redcat51 (250mm fL) and Apertura (430mm fL) scopes with a ZWO 294mm and achieving very good unguided and guided results considering those focal lengths equate to an equivalent field of view as that from ~470mm and 800mm focal lengths on Full-Frame. That equates to an image scale of 3.8 arcseconds/pixel (on the 250mm fL) and 2.2 arcseconds/pixel (on the 430mm fL), whilst still producing round stars for respectably long unguided and guided exposures. Very handy for such a mount for travel, etc..

I'm looking forward to getting one of these mounts. For me, compared with the SW AZ-GTi I've used, the best part is that everything on the StarAdverturer GTi is integrated and more robust: especially the integrated wedge with its fine latitude and altitude adjustments, counterbalance shaft, etc.

Best
JA

Last edited by JA; 03-06-2022 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-06-2022, 05:55 PM
AdamJL

There are quite a few new portable mounts now. Obviously there are new and existing harmonic mounts. Very expensive, but very portable, and iOptron have recently joined the party.
SkyWatcher aren't anywhere near it I don't think, based off some comments on a recent podcast.

But there's also what appears to be competitor to the venerable SkyWatcher AZ-GTI from iOptron.

It's even lighter than the subject model of this thread, but carries the same capacity. Looks pretty interesting:

https://www.testar.com.au/collection...-az-goto-mount
https://www.testar.com.au/collection...-goto-w-ipolar
https://www.testar.com.au/collection...-az-goto-mount