Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions

Old 05-08-2022, 08:10 PM
m11 (Mel)

I found the Explorer Scientific range good value for the money. I think alot of these eyepiece like other companies have gone up in price recently though.

I like the Pentax xw10 but they are not cheapest.

I viewed with a fellow stargazer who had the APM xwa eyepiece range and they would really sharp across the field of view, great for deep sky and planetary viewing as well. I think Astronomics have something similar in their Astro-tech xwa range as well.
Old 10-08-2022, 08:42 PM
gdrabs (Graham)

Another vote for Pentax XW 10mm. Great eyepiece.
Old 15-08-2022, 04:06 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG Hybrid View Post
The Pentax 10mm XW is brilliant on all targets. Also, doesn't need a coma corrector. Stars are pin point at the edge in my 12". Truth be told the Delos line of eyepieces are too. But you can get a Pentax XW10 for about $200 AU cheaper from a US online retailer. You can even get them from Amazon AU.
I own boxes full of premium eyepieces including Ethos, Delos, Panoptics, Naglers T4, T5 and T6, Pentax XW's, Pentax XF.

The 10mm Pentax XW is one of the absolute very best eyepieces ever made, at any price, in any era.

Somthing else to consider is the 8.5mm Pentax XF. It's a lot cheaper than a lot of other premium eyepieces, it is Japanese made with long eye relief and a 60 deg AFOV. It's a hidden gem at its price point. Not quite a Pentax XW but very good and 1/2 the price. It's a clear step up from the $100 Chinese eyepieces. Avoid the 12mm Pentax XF. A case of not all focal lengths in a series being equal.

Cheers
John B