Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 01-08-2022, 07:31 PM
Stephane

TS-Optics GPU vs Skywatcher Quattro

Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a new coma corrector. I currently have the Baader MPCC mkIII which just isn’t working for me. Others here also agree that it does an okay job, just not fantastic.

I have been recommended the TS-Optics GPU. However after doing a bit of research it appears that the Skywatcher Quattro Coma Corrector is exactly the same (except for a removable ring on the TSGPU that is not removable on the Skywatcher), both produced in the same factory, although the Skywatcher is up to $100 cheaper. I found that information here, here, and here.

Does anyone have any additional information on whether or not they are the same? If so, is the TSGPU removable ring useful?

Many thanks,
Stéphane
Old 01-08-2022, 08:48 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephane View Post
Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a new coma corrector. I currently have the Baader MPCC mkIII which just isn’t working for me. Others here also agree that it does an okay job, just not fantastic.

I have been recommended the TS-Optics GPU. However after doing a bit of research it appears that the Skywatcher Quattro Coma Corrector is exactly the same (except for a removable ring on the TSGPU that is not removable on the Skywatcher), both produced in the same factory, although the Skywatcher is up to $100 cheaper. I found that information here, here, and here.

Does anyone have any additional information on whether or not they are the same? If so, is the TSGPU removable ring useful?

Many thanks,
Stéphane
Stephane,
The SW Quattro was designed specifically for f3.5 to f4 focal ratios to complement their Quattro range of black diamond premium Imaging newts that came out in 2019
The TS GPU is designed for f4 to f6 focal ratio’s and they work beautifully on f5 and f6 , I have the photos to prove it.
Please speak to Diego at Sidereal Trading and he will definitely recommend the TS GPU CC with brass sleeve. The brass sleeve definitely reduces tilt or slop in your focuser. I could never get my Baader Mk3 to sit square, the TS GPU solved the issue
By all means get other folk to comment on their experiences with f5 newts and coma correctors. The TS GPU CC immediately solved my issues , a quality piece of optics !!
Cheers
Martin
Old 01-08-2022, 09:05 PM
Stephane

Martin, thank you for replying. Could you please clarify “tilt or slop in (the) focuser”, and your trouble getting the Baader mpcc to sit square? Are you talking about mouvement within the focuser? I am having trouble with this, especially since getting the heavier asi2600. That camera in the cheap focuser isn’t the best combination.
Old 01-08-2022, 09:48 PM
Startrek (Martin)

The TS GPU is a beast of a Coma corrector , solid and well designed / manufactured, quality gear. It’s 106mm long and once inserted ends up sticking out the end of your focuser tube by 5mm or so ( it doesn’t obstruct the optical path in any of my newts )
Once installed you can tell straight away it sits nice and solid and square in the GSO 2” focuser and that brass sleeve ensures the thumb screws and clamps really lock it all up tight with no movement.
The Baader is much smaller and not designed for the heavier 2600 series camera at 730gms . Their more designed for DSLR’s at 450 to 500gms

Yes I agree the 40mm long GSO focusers are on the budget end , however all of mine work fine with my custom fitted EAF
You can upgrade to the GSO heavy duty 50mm long focuser but they seem stiffer and the in and out focus travel is not as smooth as the 40mm version

The best move I made last year was to re orientate my Newt so the focuser is facing down at the front , instead of facing up at 45 degrees to the sky
Focuser works better , resulted in removing one counter weight , better balance , much better guiding , a win win ….

Cheers
Martin
Old 04-08-2022, 07:09 PM
Stephane

Thanks Martin, I bought the GPU today. Results pending. I’m looking forward to seeing what my stars look like in the corners, and hopefully there might be a little less mouvement in the focuser too.
Old 04-08-2022, 10:30 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

That's good to know about the TS GPU Martin.

Worst thing about the Baader is that it sits poorly in the focuser and is prone to wobble.
Old 05-08-2022, 07:28 AM
SB (Chris)

Hi Stephane
Might also be worth looking at the Baader Clicklock for the Newt. I have been looking at a reflector setup for some time and think it could have potential to hold equipment comfortably without wobble. Also I was looking at SHARPSTAR 2” Coma Corrector that appears to be similar to the SW CC. I’ve not used these BTW. Both products at Testar.

SB.
Old 05-08-2022, 09:32 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Stephane
Some photos of my little 6” Newt with zWO2600MC Camera, ZWO filter drawer and TS Optics GPU coma corrector

Solid as a rock !!

No tilt or movement

I can hold the camera move it from side to side , up an down and no wiggle at all

Note the end of the TS GPU only protrudes into the OTA by 5mm ( about the height of the focuser nuts

Also it’s best to place your L Extreme into a ZWO filter drawer , safer , less chance of Vignetting and it’s prone to dust and moisture if it’s screwed on the end of the TS GPU inside the OTA

Cheers
Martin

PS Above is the same for my 8” f5 and 10” f5 CF Newts
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (98B5EC82-2267-40D9-9F62-1B0D0C58E830.jpg)
191.3 KB46 views
Click for full-size image (3F1B524C-49D5-4390-A190-6C1505FEC9F3.jpg)
195.2 KB49 views
Click for full-size image (594D6560-85DA-4774-9E4C-454D3AD39698.jpg)
186.9 KB53 views
Click for full-size image (16328F99-998A-4380-BC7D-C63763FE4286.jpg)
188.4 KB44 views
Old 14-08-2022, 10:34 PM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

I have Skywatcher one, and if i will buy more Newt to use both then i might buy same again, or maybe i will buy that of TS Optics one as long i don't go very fast.