Old 11-11-2020, 11:29 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

SharpCap and QHYCCD PoleMaster

I have been using a QHY5IILM for guiding generally and also to run SharpCap - I have to setup and pull down every night I want some photons so a fresh PA is required.

I am struggling with neighbours' trees and finding that finding the SCP is getting harder. So I decided to switch to a QHYCCD PoleMaster. These fit into the front of the mount in the hole where a polar scope would usually look through. The RA axis.

I found it initially difficult to find Sigma Octantis in the PoleMaster because it was a few degrees off. And I am operating in a town environment where light pollution is plentiful. So it was difficult to use it straight up.

I therefore decided to use SharpCap again. Well, blow me down, SharpCap recognised the PoleMaster camera and so I used it as the SharpCap camera insteal of the old trusty QHYIILM. And wow, it was an instant hit. It found more stars, plate solved almost instantly and was a breeze to operate with SharpCap.

Then, chuffed with that little bit of success, I thought I'd see what the correlation was between the PoleMaster software result and the SharpCap result. They should have been more or less identical.

I was surrised to find they were not. Well not exactly anyway. But only a poofteenth different.

So a win-win all 'round.

Peter
Old 11-11-2020, 11:33 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

I use both sharpcap and polemaster software for polar alignment. Sharpcap first then polemaster. I now get 10 minute guided subs on a 5 inch refractor no problems. Round stars every sub.
Old 11-11-2020, 12:48 PM
VPAstro (Andrew and Cam)

Yep, same here. I use Sharpcap with the Polemaster camera, and then check it with the Polemaster software. I actually think Sharpcap is more accurate than the Polemaster software but it might just be a feeling.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:18 PM
rbronca

I'm also in the Sharpcap then Polemaster club.
Old 11-11-2020, 08:58 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

If you are having difficulty finding Sigma Oct. do a long exposure thru Pole master camera in its spot (5 mins set gain to 0) using Sharpcap and the star trails will indicate where to move the mount to get Sigma Oct in frame...the trails will show you where CSP is surprisingly well...if you have your main scope properly parked a long exposure thru it gives a good indication where CSP is...assuming you dont have too bad cone error.
Alex
Old 12-11-2020, 03:12 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
If you are having difficulty finding Sigma Oct. do a long exposure thru Pole master camera in its spot (5 mins set gain to 0) using Sharpcap and the star trails will indicate where to move the mount to get Sigma Oct in frame...the trails will show you where CSP is surprisingly well...if you have your main scope properly parked a long exposure thru it gives a good indication where CSP is...assuming you dont have too bad cone error.
Alex
Another hint is to orient the PoleMaster camera so the USB port is facing east (or is that west) so the image you get onscreen is realistic rather than flipped 90 or 180 degrees.

Peter
Old 12-11-2020, 05:25 AM
AstroApprentice (Jason)

Me too! I also use Sharpcap with PM camera to get me in the ballpark, then PM software to fine tune alignment - works well for me at new sites.
Old 12-11-2020, 06:57 PM
byronpaul (Paul)

I'm a member of Polemaster camera with Sharpcap software for Polar Alignment club

The Polemaster camera is always mounted if a quick Polar Alignment check is required.

Don't use the Polemaster software at all these days as I don't find there a need to use it, and Sharpcap is just so damn quick and accurate.

Gone are the days of trying to find the Pole, Drift Align or use many of the other software tools.

Paul
Old 13-11-2020, 06:26 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

It would be interesting to see if the PM could be used as a guidescope/camera combination. I haven't come across an.y ASCOM drivers for it though. Anyone?
Peter
Old 13-11-2020, 07:12 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

nope it can't be used for any other purpose.
Old 15-11-2020, 11:11 AM
AdamJL

I didn't know Sharpcap could use the PoleMaster. That's great to know. I don't mind the PoleMaster software, but it's a bit finicky at times. Haven't tried Sharpcap at all, so let's see how much faster it is (I can usually align with PoleMaster software in 5-10mins, with help from Stellarium)