Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21-04-2021, 08:46 PM
Muzfox (Murray)

Running Chicken with OSC

Only got 2.5 hours of data so far but had a go with what I had trying a few new techniques. Figure I've been at this over 12 months now so time to graduate from being a beginner

The main aim for me at the moment is pulling getting as much nebulosity from the target as possible, so far I think my processing is getting there.

Using Pixinsight the main change I've made is using Masked Stretch to go non-linear and then separating the channels, ditching Blue channel and creating a new blue from the red and green. Then using LRGB combination with Red as L and R, Blue into Green and Green into Blue, I'm getting really great results. Saw this on a youtube vid and was super impressed. More data needed now.

Skywatcher 72ED with 071MC Pro and L-Extreme filter. I plan to get upwards of another 10 hours by Sunday fingers crossed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (RunningChicken.jpg)
190.6 KB69 views
Old 21-04-2021, 09:11 PM
John W (John Wilkinson)

Very impressive Murray - almost looks 3D in the centre. Well done.
Cheers, John W.
Old 22-04-2021, 09:44 AM
CoolhandJo (Paul)

Very nice.
Old 22-04-2021, 12:31 PM
PKay (Peter)

Quite an interesting result Murray.
I have never seen such from an OSC camera.

Very tricky processing by the sound of it.

Well done
Old 22-04-2021, 01:01 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzfox View Post
Using Pixinsight the main change I've made is using Masked Stretch to go non-linear and then separating the channels, ditching Blue channel and creating a new blue from the red and green. Then using LRGB combination with Red as L and R, Blue into Green and Green into Blue, I'm getting really great results.
That one's new to me. Is that he chaotic palette?
Old 22-04-2021, 01:58 PM
Muzfox (Murray)

Lol I think cooked chicken pallet heh. The L-Extreme puts the HA into the red channel and the O3 into the Green. The blue is mainly just remnants and quite noisy, you don't really want it. So chuck the blue, and create a new synthetic one made up of 60% red + 40% green using pixel math in Pixinsight. As the green is 03 you end up putting it into Blue with the LRGB combination process. Colours come out mainly orange with light blue on the O3 if you have balanced the channels well. From there it's curves to bring out the colours fully.
Old 22-04-2021, 02:28 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzfox View Post
Lol I think cooked chicken pallet heh. The L-Extreme puts the HA into the red channel and the O3 into the Green. The blue is mainly just remnants and quite noisy, you don't really want it. So chuck the blue, and create a new synthetic one made up of 60% red + 40% green using pixel math in Pixinsight. As the green is 03 you end up putting it into Blue with the LRGB combination process. Colours come out mainly orange with light blue on the O3 if you have balanced the channels well. From there it's curves to bring out the colours fully.
Sounds about right. Ha is 656nm just above red and Oiii is turquoise at 500nm so it's both blue and green as it overlaps. The filter being duo band you could use the Ha (red) Ha/Oiii(50/50 green) and Oiii (blue) so you end up with a bicolor which is essentially the same as shooting Ha and Oiii separately. That should give you better contrast, details and less posterization.

Or you can pick the real colors next to the bandpass from Young's spectrum (attached) in PS with the eyedropper and look for the HSL values then blend the Hue/Saturation layers as screen in your stack. Then you should get accurate distribution of all the colors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (line_emission.jpg)
102.6 KB15 views
Click for full-size image (corrected_spectrum.jpg)
59.4 KB18 views
Old 23-04-2021, 11:57 AM
rustigsmed (Russell)

nice one Murray, interesting colour result from a OSC.

Cheers

Russ