Old 10-10-2014, 05:59 PM
kkara4 (Krishan)

Help With Manual Stacking Photoshop

Hello All

I am doing manual stacking in photoshop using 3 images loaded into their own layers. Ive had no problem aligning them, but using tutorials online, they say to go Layer - smart object - stack mode -mean.

So I do that and the stack mode icon shows up, but it does absolutely nothing? Am i supposed to do something more? Flatten image does nothing?

Here are screenshots proving it is doing nothing (just opened up main layer picture in a new tab and zoomed into same spot).

My photoshop version is CS6, and I am using DNG files since for some reason I cant get Canon 5D MK III CR2 files to open directly in photoshop.

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1b8ca77a.jpg

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3447bec3.jpg
Old 13-10-2014, 12:46 PM
kosh

I'm assuming you are stacking to reduce noise,
Have you tried stacking via file>scripts>statistics and choosing mean, adding your files and check "attemp to automatically align" ?

Reading raw files on a mac is done by Adobe camera raw I think, if you are on PC you may need an additional plug-in to read the cr2 files directly.this is just a guess though. Hope I was some help.

Goran.
Old 13-10-2014, 12:56 PM
kkara4 (Krishan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosh View Post
I'm assuming you are stacking to reduce noise,
Have you tried stacking via file>scripts>statistics and choosing mean, adding your files and check "attemp to automatically align" ?

Reading raw files on a mac is done by Adobe camera raw I think, if you are on PC you may need an additional plug-in to read the cr2 files directly.this is just a guess though. Hope I was some help.

Goran.
Thanks for the reply Goran.

I actually figured it out and it is very easy to manually stack images in photoshop. Auto-align does all sorts of nasty things if your exposures arent nearly the same, or if there is large exposure difference across the subject.

My mistake was not selecting all the layers, creating a smart object (which then combines the layers similar to flattening) and THEN selecting smart object > stack mode - mean.

This was extremely effective, I couldnt believe the difference, stacking only 3 frames together. Aligning was done manually using difference mode and free transform to move as needed.

PA error gave no issue with field rotation which is what I expected, so it was simply the drift that meant I had to align the frames.

I then used the denoising processing option in Astraimage 4, to nearly eliminate the noise without destruction of detail. I feel I was only able to achieve this due to lack of fine detail in the first place, but nevertheless I was very impressed.

Astraimage likes to crash though with big TIFFs .

Anyway all sorted now .

Tonight I will compile my pre-totality, totality and post-totality 2-3 image stacks