Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 24-07-2021, 11:45 PM
Stonius (Markus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
There shouldn't be an apostrophe.

My pet hates are "exactly right"; something can't be inexactly right can it,
it is simply either right or wrong.
The other is the use, which is becoming prevalent among the younger generation, of the Americanism "gotten".
raymo

It makes me wince how Americans overuse the word 'right', as in; 'I'll be right back', 'It's right there', 'I wrote it right on the page'. None of those sentences are made clearer by the inclusion of the word 'right'.

And then there's the old 'I could care less' as oppose to 'I couldn't care less', or worse 'I could of cared less'

And the fact that 'literally' can literally now be taken to mean 'figuratively'.

And then the trashy new ones made up by instagram babies, like 'on fleek'.

On the one hand, I know that language has to evolve, but man, it feels like from a language point of view, we're crawling back into the ocean.

Markus
Old 24-07-2021, 11:56 PM
JA

I think that since the corporate name of McDonald's includes an apostrophe, implying perhaps McDonald's restaurant or McDonald's Australia, that simply Macca's, although slang, is not inappropriate. Just sayin'.....

Best
JA
Old 24-07-2021, 11:59 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I gave up on using the English language years ago cause it was too frustrating. I actually have tried to adopt the latest butchery...plus once being exact was really my work...and I have retired...one of my greatest pleasures is using "got" and saying "me and my friends"... In fact anything that breaks a rule...and of course plenty of full stops...I cant beat them so I have gone over to the dark side...etc etc etc
OMG ... Mmmmm...no I just can not use it other than to place it here using the tips of my fingers...honestly how I have not attacked people with my walking frame for using OMG ... reminder to self ...dont let anything upset you and embrace things that annoy you...OMG I feel better.
Alex
Old 25-07-2021, 12:06 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
I was referring to the apostrophe in Macca's, and I am guessing that theodog was too.
raymo
If Macca's is the contraction of McDonalds, then the apostrophe stays
Old 25-07-2021, 03:59 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
If Macca's is the contraction of McDonalds, then the apostrophe stays
It's a relatively small point, with a tail...however for those who call the place Maccas I suspect the word may be complete, however possibly in a situation where, possessive case would be used, one could expect the addition a another "s" and a"' ' " in the reverse order or maybe not . Perhaps seek out a patron with a cap on backwards for clarification and dont forget to address him as "bro".
Alex
Old 25-07-2021, 05:42 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Hello,

"Always in the last place you look...", well yes it is... did you expect me to keep looking in other places after I had found it?

That one gets my goat a little.

Steve
Ps. I rather liked the reply from the Hells Angels in regards to what you could do with your apostrophe suggestion... Well as told by Spicks and Specks the other night anyway.

Last edited by mura_gadi; 25-07-2021 at 06:03 AM.
Old 25-07-2021, 06:27 AM
vlazg (George)

My pet hate when paying for something…
That’ll only be $10
My usual reply is
Only $10, that’s cheap.what about only $8
Old 25-07-2021, 06:41 AM
leon

What about the NT population and some QLD residents who use the word "BUT" after their sentence when speaking to you.

eg: It sure is a wild and windy day but.

Leon
Old 25-07-2021, 07:37 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Leon I developed the "but" habbit when I was a kid and it drove my parents bats ...they were very particular that everything was perfect so it was quiet an affront...

Then there is the reply that answers "Yes , no, such and such"

As well as.....
I have said it a million times...I bet you haven't.

I hate exaggeration I have said that a billion times

I dont let things upset me or concern me as once they would. I found it is not worth it and as there are some seven billion people on the planet the odds are some wont think the same way you do and you just need to tolerate these folk who are clearly in the wrong.

The view I had to embrace for the sake of my sanity in respect to the English language was it is a form of communication and really so long as someone can communicate their meaning what else matters...I do find that folk who will use one word when a sentence is required tiresome because so often they do not effectively communicate what they intend to, and that can be time wasting as you need to ask for clarification and here dont make the mistake to say "pardon" as they will repeat their one word as if you failed to hear, so it is necessary to ask "what do you mean?"

I dont like it when folk mumble and talk fast in an unclear manner and when you ask "what did you say?" They accuse you of going deaf..I dont bother saying I have better hearing than my dogs ( well when they were alive and my hearing remains exceptional) but say I couldn't quiet hear over the background noise

AND so often folk say one thing and mean something very different to your understanding of the word so being conscious if how their words fit the context is helpful.
Alex
Old 25-07-2021, 11:07 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

How about “Avoid it like the plague” - given how little effort so many people are making to avoid an actual plague!
Old 25-07-2021, 11:40 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

I also struggle when someone is asked a question and they reply "yeah, nah "
but some also say "nah, yeah" . Which is it??!! Agree? Disagree?
Old 25-07-2021, 11:59 AM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
I also struggle when someone is asked a question and they reply "yeah, nah "
but some also say "nah, yeah" . Which is it??!! Agree? Disagree?
I would take it as a "definite maybe" from a non-commital /uncertain person.

Best
JA
Old 25-07-2021, 12:10 PM
Stonius (Markus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
I gave up on using the English language years ago cause it was too frustrating...plus once being exact was really my work...and I have retired...
Alex

Were you in publishing? I've got a bunch of friends in that game.

Markus
Old 25-07-2021, 12:38 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonius View Post
Were you in publishing? I've got a bunch of friends in that game.

Markus
No law which demanded an unbelievable precission. I did things like draft the Memorandum of Articles and Association for companies being formed, the most notable being a certain firework company who now opperates world wide ( whether they still opperate under my original M&A I dont know but the way I drafted them they probably could) Usually one can rely on having a set of precedents which you more or less change only the name on the cover..say a development company or finance company all the same as the previous development or finance company that you had previously incorporated..easy...but as this was the first fireworks company I could not find a precedent and so had to draft the lot..its like writing a book on what the company is entitled to engage in..so lines starting with..to manufacture, aquire, supply, produce in part or whole etc etc etc etc..fireworks and any associated materials including but not limited to fuzes explosive powders etcetcetc I cant remember specifically but think of that for a 100 odd pages and no room for error. If you dont say they can import stuff well they cant..you have to cover everything....and in the legal game you have others , the boss or others who really are just waiting for you to make a mistake..I never made one if you can believe that..sends you a bit funny after years of being perfect.

Then as a clerk in the Attorney Generals to take the hand written notes made by the Judge and re write them so as to be able to print out the formal orders of the court and also to check similar draughted by others doing similar...
You just cant stuff up the orders of the court.

And so these days I enjoy being like anyone else in the pub and not thinking about being respectful to the English language in the least...quarter Irish helps. Some would carry it on, the skill I mean, but I am happy to leave it way behind...imagine if I came here picking everyone up on everything they perhaps got technically wrong or jumped on spelling..
Its not something to take pride in as far as I am concerned.
Thanks for the opportunity of getting that off my chest.
Alex
Old 25-07-2021, 01:00 PM
Stonius (Markus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Thanks for the opportunity of getting that off my chest.
Alex

Thanks for sharing. It's interesting to hear. I've not had much to do with the law (on either the right side or wrong side of it) so the workings of the legal system are foreign to me.

Markus
Old 25-07-2021, 01:01 PM
Pepper (Steve)

All you guys “need to have a teaspoon of concrete”

hate that one.

Last edited by RB; 25-07-2021 at 01:12 PM. Reason: profanity deleted, see TOS
Old 25-07-2021, 01:45 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Thanks for sharing. It's interesting to hear. I've not had much to do with the law (on either the right side or wrong side of it) so the workings of the legal system are foreign to me.

Markus
Lived in the residence behind the court house when young, played with the police Sargent's son in the lock up if unoccupied and would take own own finger prints...spent many hours study and doing homework sitting where the magistrate sat in the court room and later when my father became a magistrate learnt everything from him telling what he did at work that day...so for me...most of my life.
Alex
Old 25-07-2021, 02:39 PM
Stonius (Markus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
All you guys “need to have a teaspoon of concrete”

hate that one.

Never come across that one. Does it mean they should 'take a dose of reality?'.

Markus
Old 26-07-2021, 11:54 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Never come across that one. Does it mean they should 'take a dose of reality?'.

Markus
Not quite, the full expression is "take a cup of concrete and harden up" Designed to have go at people who are sensitive "snowflakes" <---- not a fan of that expression eiehter
Old 26-07-2021, 01:07 PM
Astronovice (Calvin)

Nothing is ever twice any more, always “two times” grrrr.