Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-01-2009, 07:49 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

Old data that I could never process properly.

Hey guys and gals..

These two images were taken back in mid october, however due to my processing knowledge I just couldnt get an image I was happy with out of them... Now after months of clouds, and millions of repro's and reading on processing techniques.. Here they are.. Still, nothing fantastic, but data that I've not posted before is better than another repro of M42 data (that im currently working on!! LOL!)

Here we have:
NGC2516 - an Open Cluster in Carina.
5x300sec. QHY8 + M102

NGC2070 - The Tarantula Nebula (unfortunately I had to compress this to 60% quality to get it to forum size..)
6x300sec. QHY8 + M102

Both images were taken on the first night that I got guiding working properly.. In all honesty I should have gone for 10 minute subs...

Both targets were moderately low to the horizon in the south/south east, where most of my light pollution comes from. Processing was pretty extensive to remove some horrible gradients, but that said, I am happy to post these two images now..

Cheers.
Alex.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NGC2516.jpg)
199.2 KB47 views
Click for full-size image (NGC2070_60%qual.jpg)
198.0 KB56 views
Old 17-01-2009, 07:54 PM
TrevorW

Not bad Alex 2070 will be my next project

Cheers
Old 17-01-2009, 08:18 PM
jase (Jason)

Nice repro with old data, but new knowledge Alex. It is an ongoing quest to out do ourselves. Without it, we'd never improve. Good colour balance in both images. Despite what many believe, clusters are quite challenging to process. Sure we aren't talking about major differences in dynamic range here, but managing the stellar profile is critical to ensuring stars maintain rich colours and an aesthetic image.

http://www.rc-astro.com/resources/ta...StarColors.htm - worth reviewing.
Old 17-01-2009, 08:27 PM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Just think Alex....a hyperstar lens and those pics would've been had in less than 1/2 the time. Probably would've looked better too!!.
Old 17-01-2009, 08:58 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

heh.. $2k later

Jase - Cheers for the link, very helpful.. I've been playing with luminance layering using my QHY8.. I've had mixed results... but I've always noticed that by adjusting the opacity of the lum the resulting stellar profile is much more pleasing....

The shot of 2516 could probably do with a repro keeping the stellar profiles in mind, although I think it was shot during my earlier days with the QHY8 and I had my gain/offset at something like 50/110 or the like.. so the profiles might have been clipped from the get go.. I'll have another look at the raw data and get a feel for what can be done...

Cheers guys..
Alex.
Old 17-01-2009, 09:09 PM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Smile

Buy a lotto ticket
Old 17-01-2009, 09:14 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

lol!! works for some!

My list of priorities actually sees the SCT reach the end of its usefulness to me in about 1.5 ~ 2 years.. Providing everything goes to plan. (winning lotto would make the plan take place in about a month if I won 1st or 2nd div..)
Old 18-01-2009, 01:07 AM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Smile

Yep....win Div 1 this Tuesday ($15M) or Thursday ($10M) and you'll be able to get any sized scope you wanted....within reason, of course

You could certainly fork out for a 1metre (40") class scope with all the goodies and have plenty left over
Old 18-01-2009, 01:28 AM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

i dont plan on anything that big mate...

With that kind of money, I'd go with a 20" CDK on a Paramount as the permanent setup, with an AP1200GTO + 12.5" CDK as the semi-portable rig... grab and go - AP Mach1 GTO + FSQ106 good dreams they are...

The plan to see out my SCT should I not win lotto, is the middle rig.. the 12.5" CDK on the AP1200GTO... Im on the AP1200GTO wait list at the moment...
Old 18-01-2009, 01:48 AM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

I've always wanted a big scope to do research work, plus to have fun with as well. My dream scope is a 40" OGS RC rig, or one of the same size made by DFM. Although, if RCOS could make a 40", I'd be happy with them. I'd be using it primarily in planet searching (mainly transiting planets), NEO tracking, spectroscopy work and taking piccies, of course. A few supernova searches thrown into the mix wouldn't hurt either. I'd probably have a 6 or 7" Tak mounted piggyback on the main scope, for guiding and as an extra piccie rig.

In lieu of a scope of that size, I'd be happy with a 24" RCOS with the goodies added on. My 8" LX90 would be my grab n' go.
Old 19-01-2009, 06:22 PM
atalas

Alex,don't know what you did before but they sure are looking great now mate!
Old 19-01-2009, 06:37 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

Thanks Louie, I've never posted the data before as I just couldnt get the gradients out no matter what I did, I couldnt get the stellar profiles right in 2516.. and most of all, I couldnt get the couple of surrounding nebulas out in the 2070 shot...

As I said im really happy to have been able to get anything out of these shots..
Old 19-01-2009, 07:54 PM
peeb61 (Paul)
Always looking up

Very nice Alex,
Just love the Tarantula widefield!
Sometimes you never know what you find in them.

Paul
Old 19-01-2009, 10:32 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Nice work Alex. Looking forward to seeing more from you once the clouds oblige.