Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Celestial and Astronomical Events

Old 16-02-2013, 09:58 PM
pdthomas23 (Peter)

Re: 2012 DA14

I had what I regard as a successful morning observing from my brother-in-law's place a bit north of Kyneton in central Vic.
I'd decided to go north on the strength of 7timer and Skippy Sky predictions that the sky would be clear and a bit more transparent than Melbourne. I've also realised that I haven't used the scope in the backyard since we built our new garage and it just wasn't looking good for access to the right parts of the sky.
I also wanted to see comet Lemmon from a darker site.
Arrived up there about midnight and observed until 6 am.
Didn't start looking for 2012 DA14 until a bit after 3 am. I initially picked it up at 3:30 as it movd into the area where I'd made more detailed charts.
I lost it again soon after when I paused to send a text to say I'd found it.
Followed it, with the occasional loss of contact through until dawn.
Lost it for the last time around 6 am when the sky was brightening and I didn't have many other references. I went to readjust the scope in a different way and couldn't pick it up again.
I had also been checking the finder towards the end and I believe I did spot it there.
Quite a problem with dew until the wind changed at 5 am and brought some noticeably warmer air.
Also had my look at comet Lemmon in the earlier part of the night. Made a nice pair with 47 Tuc, looking like twins either side of a star in binoculars.

Peter Thomas
Oakleigh
Old 18-02-2013, 06:48 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

I took two test shots around 02:00 to evaluate my camera settings and also try to locate DA14 with a 50mm lens to make sure I had correct data for its location. Both shots ended up overexposed but DA14 was in both of them, where expected as a VERY faint trail (actually wasn't expecting to be able to capture it at all that early).

Spent some time inside checking the photos, working out optimal settings, spraying on aerogard, setting up the mozzie lantern then headed back out side to see clouds. They came in fast and just got thicker and thicker. Come 06:00 its getting too light, I gave up any hope of a gap appearing and went back to bed.

At least getting up much earlier and taking some test shots gave me something.