Old 25-11-2021, 09:23 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

No Baffles

What effect would a Refractor 's performance have, if the tube had no ' baffles '

( I'm taking about my ill fated 76mm Royal Astro )

Am going to get a tube made up...but there will be no ' baffles ' ( that's the only way I can get a new tube )

Col

Last edited by FlashDrive; 25-11-2021 at 09:51 PM.
Old 25-11-2021, 09:45 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Tele Vue scopes have no baffles, just the black 'sandpaper' in the tube.
Old 25-11-2021, 09:51 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonH View Post
Tele Vue scopes have no baffles, just the black 'sandpaper' in the tube.
Thanks Morton ...I feel better now ...
Old 26-11-2021, 07:09 AM
Jethro777 (Jethro)

You might experiment with some flat black paint, I've always wondered how something like Black 2.0 would go for baffling.
Also, there is excellent Japanese black flocking material available that is automatically adhesive. Just a pain getting that in a long thin tube.
Old 26-11-2021, 09:51 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Hello,

Maybe think alone the lines of an insert to make your life easier if you want it baffled.

Get one of the really thin flexible chopping boards mats, they will roll up without creasing and cost about $5 from BigW etc.

Paint it black and add your baffles while its out and laying flat. Then just rollup and insert into the tube, if you use your ID x Pi you should get a good fit...

I'd just give the mat a little flex after painting to check its not going to flake badly on rolling. Otherwise you might want to add an elastic compound to the paint.

Steve
Ps. If the spacer around the lens goes out to around 100mm+ you can use a opti-ply for your tubing. The opti-ply is suitable for marine use, the flexi-ply I haven't checked for glue types.

Last edited by mura_gadi; 26-11-2021 at 10:26 AM.
Old 26-11-2021, 01:24 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDrive View Post
What effect would a Refractor 's performance have, if the tube had no ' baffles '

( I'm taking about my ill fated 76mm Royal Astro )

Am going to get a tube made up...but there will be no ' baffles ' ( that's the only way I can get a new tube )

Col
You may well see a reduction in image contrast without baffles. The image would appear a little more washed out, not as emphatically black and as a result it would make the image appear slightly less sharp to the eye, especially if used in an area with significant stray / off axis light around.

From what I recall of seeing your damaged tube, it was only the threaded end that was damaged. If that is indeed the case then you could have the threaded end cut away and have a new threaded end made as either an internal or externally fitted collar with an external thread to suit and thereby maintain the use of the existing baffled tube.

Best
JA

Last edited by JA; 26-11-2021 at 02:57 PM.