A rain forest like no other

Just in our backyard

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/im...-like-no-other
Old 25-11-2021, 11:05 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
A wonderful place, still fighting to keep the land developers at bay.
Cheers
Old 25-11-2021, 11:07 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroron View Post
A wonderful place, still fighting to keep the land developers at bay.
Cheers
I'm trying to plan a road trip with my daughter to go check it out. Would winter be the best time of year to be around that area?
Old 25-11-2021, 01:24 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
I'm trying to plan a road trip with my daughter to go check it out. Would winter be the best time of year to be around that area?
Yes, as you are just about guaranteed not to get flooded in if you're going by road,plus of course it is a tad less humid.
The tropics can spring some surprises though.
Cheers
Old 25-11-2021, 01:43 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroron View Post
Yes, as you are just about guaranteed not to get flooded in if you're going by road,plus of course it is a tad less humid.
The tropics can spring some surprises though.
Cheers
Thanks for the tip. I figured if I go via Moree, Roma, Emerald to Townsville the roads should be ok for my little i20? then take it from there if need be hire something beefier to go offroad to Daintree. I have no idea what roads are like up there so mostly guessing at this stage.
Old 25-11-2021, 02:48 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. I figured if I go via Moree, Roma, Emerald to Townsville the roads should be ok for my little i20? then take it from there if need be hire something beefier to go offroad to Daintree. I have no idea what roads are like up there so mostly guessing at this stage.
Do a bit of googleing,there's lots of info available.
Cheers
Old 26-11-2021, 03:17 PM
Astronovice (Calvin)

Visiting the Daintree

Hi Marc,

Best months are July to September. Magic temperature every day but as Ron said the tropics can spring surprises, only in the form of rain though in those months.

Road information at https://www.daintreeinfo.com/info/Self-Drive/

Lots of things to do and see, including boat trips on the Daintree river to observe local flora and fauna, especially the crocodiles!

Calvin
Old 26-11-2021, 08:01 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Marc, Daintree has sealed road as far as Cape Tribulation.

We did the trip a few years back and got caught in a winter rain event on the way back the inland route. Had to take some serious diversions north of Emerald because roads were flooded.

Undara Lava tubes and Age of Dinosaurs around Winton are worth a visit if there’s any interest in the long way around

Just remember that inland it can be bitterly cold in winter, as you’ll know from AstroFest…
Old 30-11-2021, 12:52 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronovice View Post
Hi Marc,

Best months are July to September. Magic temperature every day but as Ron said the tropics can spring surprises, only in the form of rain though in those months.

Road information at https://www.daintreeinfo.com/info/Self-Drive/

Lots of things to do and see, including boat trips on the Daintree river to observe local flora and fauna, especially the crocodiles!

Calvin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
Marc, Daintree has sealed road as far as Cape Tribulation.

We did the trip a few years back and got caught in a winter rain event on the way back the inland route. Had to take some serious diversions north of Emerald because roads were flooded.

Undara Lava tubes and Age of Dinosaurs around Winton are worth a visit if there’s any interest in the long way around

Just remember that inland it can be bitterly cold in winter, as you’ll know from AstroFest…
Thanks guys. Good tips. I'll do a bit more googling and plan accordingly with other nearby activities. Sounds like I might have to take more time off.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:35 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

Sounds like a great trip Marc , lightning ridge is worth a look heading north if you havnt been before and can swing it , Roma to Emerald guess you would be stopping at canarvon gorge amazing part of the country.

Some cattle on the roads here and there heading to Emerald driving dawn or dusk and a big slab of black angus standing in the middle of the hwy in the dark keeps you alert.

Fuel is available in most of the smaller towns though one place we stopped had run out sunday afternoon and wasnt getting the next delivery until early monday morning... I think it was 120 klms or so to the next town very few people on the road and not one house to be seen.
Old 02-12-2021, 09:47 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamL View Post
Sounds like a great trip Marc , lightning ridge is worth a look heading north if you havnt been before and can swing it , Roma to Emerald guess you would be stopping at canarvon gorge amazing part of the country.

Some cattle on the roads here and there heading to Emerald driving dawn or dusk and a big slab of black angus standing in the middle of the hwy in the dark keeps you alert.

Fuel is available in most of the smaller towns though one place we stopped had run out sunday afternoon and wasnt getting the next delivery until early monday morning... I think it was 120 klms or so to the next town very few people on the road and not one house to be seen.
Thanks Graham. Canarvon looks like a great spot. Will add it to the list.
Old 02-12-2021, 10:39 AM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Marc,

Add this to your list of must do's if you head up our way...

https://www.discoverthedaintree.com/aerial-walkway/

There is a bit of a 'foody' trail up on the Tablelands, couple of dairies, local cheeses, coffee plantations & tea plantation..

Tons & tons of things to do & see up here mate... give us a yell if your stopping in Cairns, maybe catchup for a beverage or two & if the skies are nice, maybe some stargazing...

Cheers

Carlton
Old 02-12-2021, 04:14 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
Marc,

Add this to your list of must do's if you head up our way...

https://www.discoverthedaintree.com/aerial-walkway/

There is a bit of a 'foody' trail up on the Tablelands, couple of dairies, local cheeses, coffee plantations & tea plantation..

Tons & tons of things to do & see up here mate... give us a yell if your stopping in Cairns, maybe catchup for a beverage or two & if the skies are nice, maybe some stargazing...

Cheers

Carlton
Sounds like a plan mate. Will definitely catch up.