Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space

Old 10-05-2021, 06:42 AM
Robert_T
aiming for 2nd Halley's

The Praying Mantis Nebula

I rarely "see" the objects that nebula are named for (running chicken what's that all about ;-0)... NGC6357 here I see is variously named the Lobster Nebula, War and Peace, or Madokami nebula ... but to me it so obviously resembles a Praying Mantis that it will forever be that to me.

Higher res astrobin version
https://astrob.in/t7y7v0/C/

This SHO process is Ha heavy and taken over 4 nights with lots lost to cloud and resulting unstable guiding, keeping around 14.5hours worth of subs.

Stacked and pre-processed in APP and separately using the S, H and O channels from APP unstretched recombined and processed in Startools. I merged these two approaches in PS, but this image here owes far more to the APP process than what came from Startools which I am still building competence in - easy to get a decent result harder, for me, to get an excellent result.

Increasingly I find I'm getting best results combining in APP and doing gradient correction, star colour calibration and HSL selective colouration in APP then importing as TIF direct to PS and using the atronomy tools plug ins and selective masking for further targeted curves adjustment, colouration, saturation and sharpening.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (LobsterNebcombine-SHO-image-mod-lpc-cbg-SC-St3_LR.jpg)
202.1 KB71 views
Old 11-05-2021, 11:02 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Pretty cool. Lots of details around the field. You've also resolved the core cluster and spire nicely.
Old 12-05-2021, 05:15 AM
Robert_T
aiming for 2nd Halley's

thanks Marc, i'd like to go deeper still, but I think I've hit soemthing a plateau in my processing so will be working on that more in the immediaste future.