Old 26-01-2022, 09:05 AM
EpickCrom (Joe)
Epick Crom

Puppis Greatest Hits

Hi fellow Astronomers! Last night I took a relaxing tour of the best open star clusters in Puppis. What a beautiful, rich constellation this is, open clusters abound. Here are my highlights using my 10 inch dobsonian reflector:

CR 135: Wide cluster centred on Ahadi( Pi Puppis). Stars above Ahadi form an arrow shape. Nice double star HD 57194 situated between NV Puppis and V2 Puppis.

NGC 2451: Bright and scattered cluster centred around the orange star c Puppis. Mostly bright blue stars contrast pleasingly with orange c Puppis.

NGC 2477: Dense and rich. Amazing sight at low power, resembles a manta ray! Very rich, resembles a loose globular cluster. A showpiece object!

NGC 2546: Rather large open cluster, rich in the centre. A beautiful asterism within this cluster resembles a human figure! It's located at the bottom of the cluster (Newtonian view).

M 46: Rich and compressed. Beautiful. Planetary nebula NGC 2438 is located on the outskirts of this nice cluster

M 47: Big, bright and bold! Interesting star patterns in this cluster. One feature that blew me away was a chain of stars streaming from M47 to near by open cluster NGC 2423. Wow really beautiful. It's as if there is a star chain linking these two clusters together.

M 93. Another wonderful cluster! Rich and glorious at low powers. Adding to the scene was near by open cluster NGC 2448, which has a Y shape. Just stunning!

We are really lucky here in the southern hemisphere to have this wonderful constellation. It's a joy to visually observe the multitude of open cluster in Puppis as well it's other deep sky objects. Have a go at it next clear skies you get!

Joe
Old 26-01-2022, 11:42 AM
gaseous (Patrick)

Thanks Joe, nice report. Your enthusiasm is infectious.
Old 26-01-2022, 11:54 AM
EpickCrom (Joe)
Epick Crom

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseous View Post
Thanks Joe, nice report. Your enthusiasm is infectious.
Thanks Patrick. Yeah astronomy is a passion for me! Wishing you clear skies mate!
Old 26-01-2022, 12:48 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

Cheers. Unlikely in Brisbane at the moment, but I'm glad someone's getting out under the stars.
Old 26-01-2022, 02:15 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Enjoyed reading your report, it is nice to just browse around an area or a constellation and take of the sights therein. Puppis being on the band of the Milky Way is rich in clusters and a few planetary nebulae so it's not hard to find things of interest.
Old 26-01-2022, 02:19 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

Thanks for your report, Joe. An enjoyable read. I am inspired to re-visit Puppis.
Old 26-01-2022, 04:29 PM
EpickCrom (Joe)
Epick Crom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine View Post
Enjoyed reading your report, it is nice to just browse around an area or a constellation and take of the sights therein. Puppis being on the band of the Milky Way is rich in clusters and a few planetary nebulae so it's not hard to find things of interest.
Thanks Jeff. NGC 2298 is a nice globular cluster to view in Puppis
Old 26-01-2022, 04:32 PM
EpickCrom (Joe)
Epick Crom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinderboxsky View Post
Thanks for your report, Joe. An enjoyable read. I am inspired to re-visit Puppis.
G'Day Steve, hope you get a look at Puppis to revisit some friends
Old 26-01-2022, 10:38 PM
Zubenel (Wes)
Awe and Wonder

AHH Yes. The Clusters of Puppis. Now there is a reason to get out the 10" !! Thanks for the reminder
Old 26-01-2022, 11:46 PM
EpickCrom (Joe)
Epick Crom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubenel View Post
AHH Yes. The Clusters of Puppis. Now there is a reason to get out the 10" !! Thanks for the reminder
You are welcome Wes, enjoy the sights of Puppis!