Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-02-2012, 03:39 PM
dluth

Ordering components from overseas

Given the strength of the $A - for so many products (clothes, DVDs, books) it seems to be way cheaper at the moment to order stuff from online retailers from the US or Europe. Is it the case with telecope equipment - eg. filters, eyepieces etc? If so, can anyone point me to any reliable sites? I've had a reasonable look but the sites I found don't ship to Australia.
Old 27-02-2012, 04:32 PM
scagman (John)

Hi dluth,

I have purchased a few items from the US and it does work out cheaper.
Some companies wont ship certain brands OS due to restrictions from the manufacturer. In these cases I use a freight forwarding company in the US and they ship to me. I use Shipito.com but there are lots of others. I catch with this option is if the freight company is in california u will be charged the state tax.

Places to buy from include optcorp.com, www.bhphotovideo.com to name a few.

Regards
Old 28-02-2012, 01:06 PM
NeilW

Hi dluth,

USA is certainly cheaper sometimes, but their postage can be very expensive. For instance, adding the shipping on to TeleVue eyepieces from B&H make them dearer than you can buy them locally.
Old 18-03-2012, 07:52 AM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

I have just received some explore scientific eyepieces from OPT in California.Filled out the order and 7 days later arrived on my doorstep! Nice and easy. Postage was $65. From what I understand customs allow packages under $1K without paying tax here in Oz.
Old 22-03-2012, 08:50 AM
Jules76 (Julian)
I just point it at stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilW View Post
Hi dluth,

USA is certainly cheaper sometimes, but their postage can be very expensive. For instance, adding the shipping on to TeleVue eyepieces from B&H make them dearer than you can buy them locally.
In those cases you can sometimes find going through a freight forwarder works out cheaper. It must be because they get volume discounts from couriers compared to retail shops.

I ended up ordering a padded case for my Celestron 8SE from OPT Telescopes through the PriceUSA service, because OPT's freight was ridicolous. They wanted nearly $500 via UPS Expedited (it was too large for USPS) which I tried to argue was excessive (it only cost me just over $250 via UPS for my 8SE in a similar sized box via PriceUSA) to no avail. Ended up getting PriceUSA to order it and the freight cost half what OPT wanted to charge.

This probably only applies to large bulky items but it's worth investigating if you think the retailer's freight charge is excessive.
Old 22-03-2012, 07:21 PM
Keltik (Trevor)
Canis Major, Canis Minor

I've ordered a 127mm objective lens from SurplusShed.com and a focuser from Moonlite.com and in both cases, the product definitely didn't have an equivalent for sale in Australia, and the shipping was fairly reasonable. The parts were very good, too.
Old 22-03-2012, 08:55 PM
Louwai (Bryan)
SDM Convert

I buy from OPT, Starlight Instruments, Kendrick, Lumicon, Island Eyepiece & Telescope, ADM Accessories, Telegizmos, Stellarcat, etc. Have never had a problem.
My most recent purchase was from ADM. 3 dovetail bars + a camera mount & c/weights was $45 shipping from Canada & took 8 days deliviered to my door.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:06 PM
Peg6330 (Peggy)

I am using the shipitto freight forwarding service. I have found them to be fast and efficent so far. cost is 8.50US for the handling and whatever method you want to choose for posting the article. Many of the manufacturers will not allow US companies to sell directly to Australia. I bought a filter for 54US and with postage and handling will come to a grand total of $79 US. this same item sells for $199 aust without postage included!!!!
Old 05-05-2012, 07:10 AM
cjamo9 (Clinton)

just recently bought a cubepro from opt. $517 inc $118 postage, got here quick but its got a burnt out chip in the hand control. no quick email response to getting a replacement either. starting to wish id paid the extra $300 and got it in oz.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:00 PM
scagman (John)

I had a problem with a camera I puchased thru Opt. When I emailed them they got back to me straight away. I did have to send the unit back to them at my expense thro. and the return freight back again.
Good luck give'em a day or 2 and I think they will get back to you.

Regards
Old 07-05-2012, 04:25 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

Ive ordered plenty of stuff though the internet, and in most cases its actually faster to come from over seas than it does to send something from one side of au to the other... go figure!

Irrispective of if you buy it from overseas or interstate if there is a issue with the item your going to have to send it back so i ask what is the difference?
Old 09-05-2012, 05:28 PM
GeoffW1 (Geoff)

Price difference but in the other direction

Hi,

I was reading with interest about export to the USA of the big Holden Caprice, and sale there as a cop car, both plain and marked. It isn't for sale new to the public but examples have already appeared there for sale used.

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...117-19swj.html

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/a...509-1yc9h.html

After export and police-type mods it is quoted at US$31000 new there. The 6.0L auto equivalent sells new here for A$63000-70000, with the luxury fittings still on it.

The volume isn't large, and the A$ hasn't been at $0.50 for a while , so I wonder if they are selling at cost or something? No doubt GM USA wants to be in that market.

Cheers
Old 10-05-2012, 05:15 PM
Darth Wader (Wade)
Chronic aperture fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagman View Post
Places to buy from include optcorp.com, www.bhphotovideo.com to name a few.
I definitely second this. I have ordered from both with no fuss. The eyepiece I ordered from B&H Photo arrived in Sydney just 4 days after I placed the order.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:52 PM
k16charger

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ory_Kit_5.html

Good price works out to be approx 200 posted to aus.

Worth it?
Old 13-05-2012, 04:25 AM
JB80 (Jarrod)
Aussie abroad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dluth View Post
Given the strength of the $A - for so many products (clothes, DVDs, books) it seems to be way cheaper at the moment to order stuff from online retailers from the US or Europe.

Hmm, I'm not sure how bad astro prices are back home but surely they can't be as bad as the European market.

Basically if something is $500USD over here it's £500. The difference is huge at times. And the real kicker here is when you order something from the US because its cheaper they then hit you with a heap of customs fees and import tax which brings the cost back up to what you would pay anyway.

If you don't have added fees then the US would be a top option.