Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2022, 05:22 PM
Rod-AR127 (Rod)

Time to get serious.

With my AR-127L achro about as good as it's ever going to be with a new focuser and relatively clean optics it's time to get my polar alignment under control.
My Exos2 EQ5 mount had been languishing in the shed for some years and the polar scope had what looked like crazing over at least one part of it's optics.
Being a sewing machine mechanic by trade I'm used to and enjoy working with small and delicate parts so l stripped the entire polar scope out of the mount, cleaned everything and reassembled. Not tested on the night sky yet but it's now clear to see through. I still don't understand how the heck the mount dials affect the polar scope, l think the little picture of the four stars printed on the lens is supposed to rotate, but it doesn't. Plus all instructions I've read don't fully correspond to what's on my mount. Edit
Was reminded by Martin's SCP stick in the dirt drawing, tomorrows task.
So all that is an ongoing learning curve.
I bought a pier extension for the mount as well, no more laying on the concrete. Just need to tweak or replace finder scope still.

Not content to just look at planet's l have gone and bought an Evostar ED72,
I have an older but good quality Olympus EM-5 digital camera and the T-ring adaptor is on it's way to a local camera shop for me to try before l buy. The guy at the shop new exactly what my camera is and had already ordered the T-ring before l called. Fate.

So all this leaves me with one last hurdle.
And for that l have enlisted my brother to build an RA motor drive for the EQ5 from the CN DIY article a few years back.

My intention is to do EAA on my laptop with a proper EAA camera in the future for the ED72 and the normal camera on my 127 for planets.

This should keep me busy for a while.
Don't tell Mrs AR127L!

Last edited by Rod-AR127; 11-08-2022 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-08-2022, 08:10 PM
AstroViking (Steve)

Another ED72 owner!

I'm looking forward to seeing how your imaging progresses.

Cheers,
V
Old 11-08-2022, 08:42 PM
Rod-AR127 (Rod)

It will be a long time before l get anything respectable to look at.
I did go up to the local skate park on the hill and set up a small tripod and binoculars today with an inclinometer,
Andromeda Galaxy will be visible above the tree's at 2am.
I however will be in bed, off work sick so no astronomy now the clouds have gone.
Old 12-08-2022, 06:19 PM
Rod-AR127 (Rod)

I performed the stick in the dirt SCP calculation today at 12:21:57. Now l have black paint on the pavers and fence we'll see tonight how close l got.
Have not been able to see the close by star grouping the last two nights with binoculars. Very poor seeing conditions.

Edit. 19:40 hrs. Bit of cloud about. I'm exactly 20° left of B Car on the 180° line. Still searching for my group of four stars to put me close. Edit. I'm about 15° low, more cloud, walk away and revisit in a bit, patience grasshopper.
Edit. BINGO! Close enough for visual, quite cloudy now.

Last edited by Rod-AR127; 12-08-2022 at 10:09 PM.
Old 28-08-2022, 03:40 PM
Rod-AR127 (Rod)

Basically my polar scope is crap and there is too much light pollution to see Octans. I have given up on PA from my house without some electronic aid.
The ED72 is great, looks like a goto mount in the very near future and l can just aim the AR127 in the same general direction on the mandraulic mount for the very faint stuff.
Old 28-08-2022, 06:34 PM
floyd_2 (Dean)

If you’re heading down the EAA path and want to polar align, take a look at SharpCap Pro when the time comes. It has a pretty decent polar align routine that uses your camera and plate solving to get you aligned. You do need a view of the SCP though, but it beats using a polar scope and only takes a few minutes.
Old 28-08-2022, 07:51 PM
Rod-AR127 (Rod)

I have a fantastic view of the entire southern sky, until they build apartments next door which they will.
It's even facing away from the city but I've only spied Octans once in the past few months.
I've got my marks in the concrete for my tripod done with celestial noon, it's more than adequate for observational viewing, just frustrated the heck out of me not being able to practice PA when l set up. I'm probably looking straight at them but just lack the experience to recognise them.
Looking ok here for viewing tonight, could be a 2am trip up the street to the park for Andromeda, or bed.
Clear skies