Old 17-01-2022, 02:40 PM
raymo

I'm confused; where was bigotry displayed in this thread? Oh, maybe McGowan displayed some; I didn't get a chance to watch the video.
raymo

Last edited by raymo; 17-01-2022 at 02:42 PM. Reason: more text
Old 17-01-2022, 03:08 PM
Hodur (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
I'm confused; where was bigotry displayed in this thread? Oh, maybe McGowan displayed some; I didn't get a chance to watch the video.
raymo
Bigotry is most often connected with religious belief, ironically it most evident in everyday belief.
My point (inspired by Russell) give all belief statements equal standing, until proven otherwise.
This approach opens discussions of all subject, the only caveat, as grown adults we should be polite and courteous at all times. The moderators should focus on civility and respectful discussion rather than the subject of those discussions, nothing should be off limits provided the language used is polite, respectful, inclusive and courteous.
Old 17-01-2022, 03:34 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodur View Post
Bigotry is most often connected with religious belief, ironically it most evident in everyday belief.
My point (inspired by Russell) give all belief statements equal standing, until proven otherwise.
This approach opens discussions of all subject, the only caveat, as grown adults we should be polite and courteous at all times. The moderators should focus on civility and respectful discussion rather than the subject of those discussions, nothing should be off limits provided the language used is polite, respectful, inclusive and courteous.
So you missed the moderator's warning earlier in this thread? this is the point usually where they lock it because one persists with irrelevance
Old 17-01-2022, 03:43 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Getting back to the point of my post.... I am curious to know if any other
IIS'ers have contracted COVID.

Were you vaccinated? How were YOUR symptoms? (i.e. hard to really know how Aunty Doris felt
when she came down it)
Old 17-01-2022, 04:06 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
Getting back to the point of my post.... I am curious to know if any other
IIS'ers have contracted COVID.

Were you vaccinated? How were YOUR symptoms? (i.e. hard to really know how Aunty Doris felt
when she came down it)

I'm on ignore obviously

As I said, yes, twice - first time pre-vaxx early 2021 - NIL symptoms apart from a very mild headache (never get headaches, so I noticed this)

Second time more noticeable (post-double jab - Nov '21), with dry cough, nasal congestion and diarrhea. Lasted 5 days - last 2 days barely noticeable symptoms. Symptom onset was rapid, and symptom decline was just as rapid. Didn't even warrant concern in the least - was just keen to get back to work! I've had worse allergic reactions.

Post-infection residuals - NIL.
Old 17-01-2022, 04:22 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
I'm on ignore obviously

As I said, yes, twice - first time pre-vaxx early 2021 - NIL symptoms apart from a very mild headache (never get headaches, so I noticed this)

Second time more noticeable (post-double jab - Nov '21), with dry cough, nasal congestion and diarrhea. Lasted 5 days - last 2 days barely noticeable symptoms. Symptom onset was rapid, and symptom decline was just as rapid. Didn't even warrant concern in the least - was just keen to get back to work! I've had worse allergic reactions.

Post-infection residuals - NIL.
Sorry I was not ignoring you. I thought your previous response didn't require any commentary from me.

In any event...Bravo Lewis. Interesting that your first round (sans vaccine) was less severe than round two.
Old 17-01-2022, 04:37 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Sorry I was not ignoring you. I thought your previous response didn't require any commentary from me.

In any event...Bravo Lewis. Interesting that your first round (sans vaccine) was less severe than round two.
Depends on the variant, Alpha strain was nasty, Delta strain was even nastier
Old 18-01-2022, 09:56 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

And now…

Keep jabbing till you can jab no more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (EC43E1ED-5B14-4FA8-84C0-4EEAF7C40001.jpg)
60.7 KB111 views
Old 18-01-2022, 09:59 AM
AdamJL

I've no problem getting jabbed every year if that's what's needed. We do the same for the flu shot. Some other vaccines take longer to wear off, but they still wear off and you need to get it again.

It's not like they're breaking into my house, trashing it, peeing on the furniture, then stealing all my telescope gear.

It's just a little needle
Old 18-01-2022, 10:36 AM
raymo

Bravo!!!
raymo
Old 18-01-2022, 10:37 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Getting your annual Corona virus jab I expect will be like getting a Tetanus booster
...something you really should keep on top of.

BTW...My GP described Tetanus as being able to give you muscle spasms severe enough to snap bones.

Didn't sound like fun.

Funny how few doubt the wisdom of getting jabbed against this and other "old world" diseases such as Polio, Small Pox, etc...yet take exception to Astra/Pfizer/Moderna jabs.
Old 18-01-2022, 03:39 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:

BTW...My GP described Tetanus as being able to give you muscle spasms severe enough to snap bones.
I reckon you'd have stopped breathing before that happens.
Old 19-01-2022, 05:53 AM
leon

That is a very good point Peter, never actually looked at it like that, I'm ready for my booster any day now.

Leon
Old 19-01-2022, 07:34 AM
Zuts

This is anecdotal from my work. At least 5 developers in teams I work with and their families have had Covid in the last two weeks. None of them took more than 4 days off work and the worst hit only had severe headaches.

Still, Kyrgios said it hit him like a hammer and people are winding up in hospital/ICU so YMMV.
Old 19-01-2022, 09:15 AM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:
Getting your annual Corona virus jab I expect will be like getting a Tetanus booster
...something you really should keep on top of.

Didn't sound like fun.

Funny how few doubt the wisdom of getting jabbed against this and other "old world" diseases such as Polio, Small Pox, etc...yet take exception to Astra/Pfizer/Moderna jabs.
And how many people are actually vaccinated against old world diseases? these shots were recommended to travelers but never mandated like the COVID Vaccine. Never has there been a mistrust of Governments and organizations as we are seeing today .. just look at the US. Everything is a conspiracy today. People would rather follow unverified information on social media and suspect websites than what is presented by Government agencies.

Government poor wishy washy presentation of information hasn't helped. I am still confused about when to go for the Booster shot.

A bit of history.. I remember when we deployed troops to the Middle East as part of Gulf War 1 (Desert Storm of Desert Shield). Some serving Defence members had to be sent back home for refusing the Anthrax vaccination.
Old 19-01-2022, 10:04 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

I reckon we're doing excellent in Oz. To date we've got 80% double vaxed and 20% boosted. That's the whole population. Sure you'll always get a very vocal minority with their own opinion but when/if they get sick and end up through the system needing treatment the odds that they'll be vaccinated are pretty high so eventually we'll be good. All we need to do now is go through the pockets of unvaccinated world wide and get vaccines where needed so we minimize the number of people getting sick altogether and avoid more nasty variants in the future.
Old 19-01-2022, 10:27 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Tucker View Post
And how many people are actually vaccinated against old world diseases? ........
In Australia a remarkably high number...Dept of Health indicates about 95% are vaccinated against: hepatitis B, diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, Haemophilus influenzae type b, polio, measles, mumps and rubella, pneumococcal, varicella and meningococcal C

When Qantas still actually flew, rather than code shared, around the world I recall taking the option of being jabbed/boosted for *everything*.

Getting the dreaded Lurgi while in some Bombay (as it was called then) hotel
would not have been my idea of fun.
Old 19-01-2022, 10:51 AM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:
In Australia a remarkably high number...Dept of Health indicates about 95% are vaccinated against: hepatitis B, diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, Haemophilus influenzae type b, polio, measles, mumps and rubella, pneumococcal, varicella and meningococcal C

When Qantas still actually flew, rather than code shared, around the world I recall taking the option of being jabbed/boosted for *everything*.

Getting the dreaded Lurgi while in some Bombay (as it was called then) hotel
would not have been my idea of fun.
Notice TB wasn't on the list. I wonder how many people have had or even considered a booster for TB. I remember getting the TB shot in school and when I was in the RAAF they did this skin reaction test for TB to see if the inoculation was still effective .. I ended up requiring a booster.
Old 19-01-2022, 12:48 PM
AdamJL

sometimes vaccines are required for specific parts of the world as well, that aren't required here.
e.g. when I lived in the UK, we decided to backpack South America for a while, and I had to get a Yellow Fever vaccine or I couldn't travel.

which, btw, made me very very very sick. In addition, I still remember walking down a street in the UK, and then suddenly I was 300m from where I last recalled. I'd crossed roads in that period as well and had no recollection.
Decided to sit out a few hours at a coffee store so I wouldn't walk anywhere and do something stupid.
Old 19-01-2022, 12:59 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
In addition, I still remember walking down a street in the UK, and then suddenly I was 300m from where I last recalled. I'd crossed roads in that period as well and had no recollection.
Decided to sit out a few hours at a coffee store so I wouldn't walk anywhere and do something stupid.
You didn't pop in any of those "limitless" pills by any chance did you?