Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space

Old 08-06-2021, 05:31 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
...just out of interest, do I recall you are a judge on A-Bin though?...if so, how does that work?

Mike
Pretty good by the look of it.
Old 08-06-2021, 05:37 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Very nice Andy, it has a lot more 3D depth than most of the lobster images on the inter webs
Old 08-06-2021, 05:56 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
...just out of interest, do I recall you are a judge on A-Bin though?...if so, how does that work?

Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Pretty good by the look of it.
Hi Mike & Marc, no conspiracies there - here's how the IOTD three tiered system works...

1) Submissions
120 or so submitters get a random selection of images delivered to them in a queue each day, from which they can nominate up to three images for review. (If they don't believe any are worthy they don't have to nominate all three.) If three or more submitters independently vote for the same image it then appears in the reviewers queue and gets a Bronze star.

2) Reviews
64 reviewers independently work through their daily submitted queues, and again can nominate two or three images for judging. Again if three reviewers select the same ige it goes into the judges queue, and gets a silver star and. ‘Top Pick’.

3) Judging
8 Judges can independently select up to two images per week from their queues, and no more that two in a day. IOTD's get a gold star.
Judges cannot select their own work!

The team is made up of Astrophotographers all over the world, and to my knowledge, none of us have ever physically met one another! So no bias exists.

Full details of the process here ... https://welcome.astrobin.com/iotd

Frankly, I was surprised (and delighted) to get this far, probably shoulda bunged it in the Malins...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
Very nice Andy, it has a lot more 3D depth than most of the lobster images on the inter webs
Thanks Col - I was happy with this result! (at last, after a few failed attempts)

Last edited by Andy01; 08-06-2021 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-06-2021, 06:01 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
Hi Mike & Marc, no conspiracies there - here's how the IOTD three tiered system works...

1) Submissions
20 or so submitters get a random selection of images delivered to them in a queue each day, from which they can nominate up to three images for review. (If they don't believe any are worthy they don't have to nominate all three.) If three or more submitters independently vote for the same image it then appears in the reviewers queue and gets a Bronze star.

2) Reviews
A dozen reviewers independently work through their daily submitted queues, and again can nominate two or three images for judging. Again if three reviewers select the same ige it goes into the judges queue, and gets a silver star.

3) Judging
8 Judges can independently select up to two images per week from their queues, and no more that two in a day. IOTD's get a gold star.
Judges cannot select their own work!

The team is made up of Astrophotographer all over the world, and to my knowledge, none of us have ever physically met one another! So no bias exists.

Frankly, I was surprised (and delighted) to get this far, probably shoulda bunged it in the Malins...

Thanks Col - I was happy with this result! (at last, after a few failed attempts)

so far on Astrobin 3 bronze 3 silver, Where's my gold???

Last edited by Nikolas; 08-06-2021 at 08:02 PM.
Old 08-06-2021, 07:56 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Ah ok, I see, thanks for that, as I said, was just curious

Mike
Old 14-06-2021, 07:01 PM
Decimus (Richard)

Wow, Andy. Yet another superb image. This is the best image of the Lobster I have ever seen. Congrats!