Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography

Old 07-06-2021, 06:54 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswhin63 View Post
It is interesting that the default Wipe sliders are the ones causing my horizontal bars, always in the same location on all DSS stacks that I create.

It has taken me a while to assess where my bars were coming from. As mentioned earlier, I am still at the earlier stages of using StarTools so there may be a workaround or something else that I am doing.

Going to try a few more images I have done in the past, but the latest in this thread is the best improvement I have had. The original image shown in the first post of this thread is so dark as to hide the bars. I will process another one of the same level and add it to this thread later.
Malcolm,
DSLR’s as you are probably aware are notorious for creating all types of noise in your images especially pushing lots of long subs between 3 to 5 minute or longer which is asking for trouble
Fixed pattern noise ( like banding ) can be reduced by dithering, if fact dithering is a must for long exposure AP using a DSLR where the sensor electronics can reach temperatures of 18 to 20 degrees in Winter and up to 30 to 35 degrees in Summer depending on your location.
Maybe reduce your sub lengths to 1.5 to 2 minutes and see if there is any improvement after dithering every sub or every 2nd sub ( more subs the better to improve SNR ) Ive imaged with my 600D for 4 years ( now using a cooled OSC ZWOASI2600MC ) and dithered every sub for exposures 60 sec to 5 minutes , made a huge difference to noise in the image
Also check your settings in DSS to ensure they are set to the Bayer matrix of your camera and what Startools requires which is clean linear untouched data from DSS ( Startools has a guide for prerequisites using DSS as your stacker )
Being a modded DSLR I suspect you have set a custom white balance ?
Sweet spot for dynamic range on the 450D is ISO 400 ( folk have had mixed results with ISO 800 )
Startools can and does remove all types of gradient but it has its limit too
Good luck with future images
Cheers
Martin
Old 08-06-2021, 10:29 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Malcolm,
DSLR’s as you are probably aware are notorious for creating all types of noise in your images especially pushing lots of long subs between 3 to 5 minute or longer which is asking for trouble
Fixed pattern noise ( like banding ) can be reduced by dithering, if fact dithering is a must for long exposure AP using a DSLR where the sensor electronics can reach temperatures of 18 to 20 degrees in Winter and up to 30 to 35 degrees in Summer depending on your location.
Cheers
Martin
I dither every frame, I found the best-using PHD2 as a spiral instead of random, although I only just recently started using the Ekos inbuilt guiding with multi-star (not on this image). It is nice to get it working on a single package. PHD2 has been brilliant for me in many years, but I see just as good results from the Ekos internal guide.