Old 28-12-2005, 07:33 PM
CometGuy

Alert for Lightening Sprites in Brisbane

Just a heads up note to say there is a line of severe storms 200km South of Brisbane moving north-east and there is good potential to capture lightening sprites from these storms for people located in SE QLD. Given that it is partly clear, expect to seem them around 20-30 degrees up in the South to south-east. Ideal cameras is sensitive BW video cameras + wide angle lens. As I have shown a modified DSLR + fast wide angle lens will capture them (try sequences of 10sec exposures @ ISO1600).

Have a look at the Grafton Radar:

http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/IDR283.shtml

Good Luck
Terry
Old 28-12-2005, 08:41 PM
CometGuy

Just saw bright red sprite with naked eye...unbelievable! Way brighter than LMC. At AZ 130 and 10 degrees elevation (lower than I thought).

Terry
Old 28-12-2005, 09:14 PM
h0ughy (David)

I hope you get some excellent pictures
Old 29-12-2005, 08:17 AM
CometGuy

Houghy,

The sprite I saw should have been in the bottom left of the frame, however the 300D was between shots (clearing its image buffer!) when it occured - I got nothing. Cloud came in a little later and there we 2 lines of storms last night. There will be plenty more opportunities - I reckon we have been averaging 1 storm every third night since October!

Terry
Old 29-12-2005, 10:35 AM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

Keep chasing them!

Amazing how common these things really are yet not so long ago were never known to exist. It's like a whole new world has been discovered!

I need the storms to be SE to E to N for me to see them due to many trees and powerlines in other directions.

Unfortunately while my video camera is portable, the computer it has to be connected to is not (for interval capture) so I'm limited there as well.
Old 29-12-2005, 12:12 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometGuy
Houghy,

The sprite I saw should have been in the bottom left of the frame, however the 300D was between shots (clearing its image buffer!) when it occured - I got nothing. Cloud came in a little later and there we 2 lines of storms last night. There will be plenty more opportunities - I reckon we have been averaging 1 storm every third night since October!

Terry

always the way
Old 29-12-2005, 04:39 PM
vash (Ashley)

Don't think I saw any sprites, but last night I was driving through a large storm on the gold coast.
I didn't manage any good lightning shots, half my tripod is in the shed, the other half was in my room, not going out in the rain.
Old 30-12-2005, 07:48 AM
CometGuy

As Kevin says its a whole new world. What is suprising me is that sprites can actually be quite bright - the last one I saw had a clear red colour and was similiar in brightness to a moderately bright auroral arc. There seems to be quite a range of brightnesses and they are very brief.

I am hoping to get I high resolution colour image of one, if I can..

Terry