Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2021, 07:21 AM
Hemi

Pegasus Ultimate power box v2

Thought I might share my latest acquisition…
I’ve recently setup a dual telescope rig. Side by side on an AZEQ6. Having flitted from AZ to EQ about a hundred times these last few years, I decided AZ was for me. I think it’s the best setup for visual and EAA. Especially in a small pod, where eq can get you into some cramped positions.

Anyway, i also kept flitting between my Es102 and c925/c11. Hence the dual setup (for visual). Anyway power/data to all that (focusers +- cameras) and computer, led to a most unsightly and snaggable mess of cables. Which I’ve attempted to solve with the UPBv2.

Pictures of iteration 1 attached.
Worked Ok over 2 nights. One issue I have had is under powering the Az eq6, leading to the dreaded whining, slow slewing, stopping, erratic behaviors. (One occasion). My copy of the mount has run best on 15v, not possible with the UPBv2. I’m assured by Evans at Pegasus that it should power 10 of these mounts in theory! I’m trying a 12v 12.5A supply tonight, as opposed to a 15v 5a that I’ve been using for a while without issue.

Otherwise I can’t fault the UPBv2 so far in its early use. It’s a very small and well made little unit, and the windows software to run and monitor it all is excellent, and very well polished.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (B83B316A-4AFB-4F38-8238-F02D27620AC2.jpeg)
123.5 KB113 views
Click for full-size image (D1DD0D00-A95C-4EC8-8EB3-F4A47B0138EA.jpeg)
85.8 KB77 views
Click for full-size image (3AF3903E-2716-4836-92CC-2C5D8FC93B0D.jpeg)
124.5 KB83 views
Old 06-06-2021, 09:51 AM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

I got one recently as well and I have to agree it's well polished. Works well in both Windows and Linux. I've got NUC mounted on it and it powers it nicely, plus the USB ports work well for my somewhat finicky ASI2600MM.

I do like the monitoring software so you can see what port is drawing how much power.

I've yet to hook up the dew heater as the strap I've got has a different plug to what the UPBv2 accepts.
Old 06-06-2021, 04:11 PM
JimsShed (Jim)

I recently got the Pocket Powerbox Micro for my AZEQ6 and NUC setup. It's one of the most convenient and useful devices that I didn't realise I needed until I got one. Quality is superd and included software is great too.
Old 07-06-2021, 05:49 PM
NeilW

I've had the UPB2 for some time now. Expensive, but it's made everything so much easier. Cabling is neat, and everything runs beautifully with NINA.
Old 09-06-2021, 08:30 PM
toc (Tim)

What is the advantage of this over a rigrunner (or clone) and powered USB hub? seems very pricey.
Old 09-06-2021, 09:21 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

You'd probably be better off looking at the product specs page for the full details of what it provides. I haven't used a rigrunner, so I can't comment to that, but it's so far beyond a powered USB hub that it's no comparison.
Old 09-06-2021, 11:03 PM
Hemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazjen View Post
You'd probably be better off looking at the product specs page for the full details of what it provides. I haven't used a rigrunner, so I can't comment to that, but it's so far beyond a powered USB hub that it's no comparison.
You can get all the functionality of the UPB2 with separate power/usb/dew/focuser control/environment sensor gizmos but it will be a bit more messy, more cables, more attaching to somewhere, more risk of cable snags. My research suggested that the price would be similar (or more) for similar functionality. Eg software switchable powered (industrial grade?) 7 port usb 3.1.

Software switchable and adjustable power 12v x6. With V/W/Amps read out and history.

Etc, good info on the manufacturers website.

Software is really good.
Old 10-06-2021, 01:04 AM
toc (Tim)

I think for remote imaging the switchable USB ports would be a really excellent feature.

I guess I already have a dew heater and focuser and the rigrunner provides separate fused power delivery so Im not tempted, BUT if you had none of these things I can see it would be a good way to go.

Software looks great.
Old 10-06-2021, 11:15 AM
Wilsil (Wilco)

I am using the PPBA and it works great.
Less cables running from the mount to my laptop.
Old 13-06-2021, 01:06 PM
xthestreams (Paul)
photon disrupter

Totally agree, I now have two and they never leave the OTA they “run’. Having started with a RigRunner (with USB power built in) the difference if night and day.

Each power, USB and dew/fan controller port can be individually switched on and off, full power consumption and atmospheric monitoring (humidity, temp and I believe pressure), built in motor controller for focuser (works great with a Moonlite) and the USB hub itself is bulletproof USB2 and USB3

The only criticisms I can make is that;
There’s only one temp sensor, I’d like to see 3 (ambient, primary and secondary) so I can replicate the capabilities of the PlaneWave Delta-T
- they don’t make a rack mount or DIN rail for controlling the rest of the observatory!

Expensive, but by the time you add up everything they do, you’ve made your money back.