#1  
Old 27-12-2013, 09:46 AM
Saturn%5's Avatar
Saturn%5 (Graeme)
Registered User

Saturn%5 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Launceston
Posts: 758
Canon or Nikon Advice please

Hi Peeps
Just about to buy myself a new slr and not having a good camera,I have picked 2 i like, Canon 600d or Nikon d5200 as i have no accessories for either i am not bound to any brand yet.

So any thoughts on what you would buy out of these 2 ?

Use light astro work night scapes and general family and some critter pics.

Would love to hear you thoughts

cheers

Graeme.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 27-12-2013, 10:32 AM
gregbradley's Avatar
gregbradley
Registered User

gregbradley is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 16,936
I would get Sony A7 rather than either of those. Currently the technological marvel of the camera world. You get full frame and excellent high ISO low noise performance and enter the world of any lens works on it with the cheap and plentiful adapters (except a few wide angle rangefinder style lenses). The overall package will be cheaper. Autofocus is good but the DSLRs will have better autofocus for fast moving subjects.

Wide angle "legacy" lenses are:

Olympus 20 and 21mm
Canon FD 20mm F2.8
Minolta Rokkor 20mm F2.8
Leica Elmarit R 28mm F2.8 V2
Zeiss Contax Yashica 28mm F2.8 or 21mm.
Canon nFD 20mm.

You can get beautiful older lenses that are fast, metal construction and aperture ring for peanuts compared to Canikon new prices and the look they give I find generally more appealling than the current crop of digital lenses that tend to only emphasis sharpness as the main criteria of performance.

A7 has tilt screen, smartphone remote, wifi, the best EVF, the best LCD, apps you can download including lens compensation, time lapse. All in a small lightweight package that will not overload the Polarie.

I imagine a lot may be prejudiced against Sony as being a bit of a clumsy camera maker but they kicked a goal with these models.

The new Zeiss lenses coming out for them (only 3 available now) are superb lenses. The FE35 2.8 has been described as the best in its class.
Bokeh may not be best but sharpness, colour, rendering is superb.

I also am finding the colour out of these Sony's is the best I have gotten except perhaps my Fuji XE1. Auto white balance works really well for nightscapes as well which is handy (not that important but handy).

Canon do not have a hot wide angle lens at this time. Nikon has the 14-24 but its huge and heavy. They have the 18-35 which is much cheaper, smaller, takes filters and apparently very sharp. The only complaint I have read about that lens is a dullness to the images but that could easily have been the photographer's ineptitude.

Samyang 24mm F1.4 is still one of the better wide angle lenses around. There is also the Samyang 14mm. There is a Samyang 14mm cinema version which may be better (not sure). But there are plenty of 24mm lenses as above that are quite cheap (under $300 most of them and some under $150). The Rokkor 24mm F2.8 is quite good enough and I think would produce some nice nightscapes. I think I paid $162 for it or less. I''ll test it and post.

As far as between Nikon and Canon that is a bit harder. This site favours Canon and Canon has been the dominant player in astro DSLR work. The Nikon would be sharper. The D5300 has no antialiasing filter and is 24mp from memory. Its a Sony sensor. Canon has no sensor that can match Sony. Sony is the big player in the sensor market and is ahead of every one else but Canon is strong in the overall package. 600D from what I have seen I would regard as a noisy high ISO camera. D5300 probably is not. Neither could match Sony A7 by a long ways.

If you want Canon or Nikon and I know its a higher price tag but its really the Canon 6D or Nikon D610 that are the 2 hot cameras in the DSLR world at that price range Nikon D800E is remarkable camera. 5D3 is great. The new Nikon DF has the Nikon D4 sensor and is the current low light high ISO king of all cameras. Canon 1DX would be hot but now we are talking big money.

Greg.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 27-12-2013, 11:41 AM
mithrandir's Avatar
mithrandir (Andrew)
Registered User

mithrandir is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Glenhaven
Posts: 4,161
What Greg said.
The main drawback with Sony for astrophotography is the lack of computer control compared to Canon.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 27-12-2013, 12:56 PM
Regulus's Avatar
Regulus (Trevor)
Regulus - Couer de Leon

Regulus is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Devonport, Tasmania
Posts: 2,349
Graeme, Mohammad has advertised a 4mth old Canon 600D body in the for sale section. Worth a pm to him for a price perhaps.
Trevor
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 27-12-2013, 02:48 PM
John W (John Wilkinson)
Registered User

John W is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
Posts: 708
Canon or Nikon Advice please

Hi, I use a Canon 550d and find it fine for astro work as well as daylight work. It has 18 MP and I would not go above that. I take RAW images and the files are already large when processing on computer. For a first timer I'd also recommend the Canon 1100d. I'd get used to using one of these before spending too much. The trick to getting good astro shots is in the processing of images. Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 27-12-2013, 03:41 PM
Saturn%5's Avatar
Saturn%5 (Graeme)
Registered User

Saturn%5 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Launceston
Posts: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
I would get Sony A7 rather than either of those. Currently the technological marvel of the camera world. You get full frame and excellent high ISO low noise performance and enter the world of any lens works on it with the cheap and plentiful adapters (except a few wide angle rangefinder style lenses). The overall package will be cheaper. Autofocus is good but the DSLRs will have better autofocus for fast moving subjects.

Wide angle "legacy" lenses are:

Olympus 20 and 21mm
Canon FD 20mm F2.8
Minolta Rokkor 20mm F2.8
Leica Elmarit R 28mm F2.8 V2
Zeiss Contax Yashica 28mm F2.8 or 21mm.
Canon nFD 20mm.

You can get beautiful older lenses that are fast, metal construction and aperture ring for peanuts compared to Canikon new prices and the look they give I find generally more appealling than the current crop of digital lenses that tend to only emphasis sharpness as the main criteria of performance.

A7 has tilt screen, smartphone remote, wifi, the best EVF, the best LCD, apps you can download including lens compensation, time lapse. All in a small lightweight package that will not overload the Polarie.

I imagine a lot may be prejudiced against Sony as being a bit of a clumsy camera maker but they kicked a goal with these models.

The new Zeiss lenses coming out for them (only 3 available now) are superb lenses. The FE35 2.8 has been described as the best in its class.
Bokeh may not be best but sharpness, colour, rendering is superb.

I also am finding the colour out of these Sony's is the best I have gotten except perhaps my Fuji XE1. Auto white balance works really well for nightscapes as well which is handy (not that important but handy).

Canon do not have a hot wide angle lens at this time. Nikon has the 14-24 but its huge and heavy. They have the 18-35 which is much cheaper, smaller, takes filters and apparently very sharp. The only complaint I have read about that lens is a dullness to the images but that could easily have been the photographer's ineptitude.

Samyang 24mm F1.4 is still one of the better wide angle lenses around. There is also the Samyang 14mm. There is a Samyang 14mm cinema version which may be better (not sure). But there are plenty of 24mm lenses as above that are quite cheap (under $300 most of them and some under $150). The Rokkor 24mm F2.8 is quite good enough and I think would produce some nice nightscapes. I think I paid $162 for it or less. I''ll test it and post.

As far as between Nikon and Canon that is a bit harder. This site favours Canon and Canon has been the dominant player in astro DSLR work. The Nikon would be sharper. The D5300 has no antialiasing filter and is 24mp from memory. Its a Sony sensor. Canon has no sensor that can match Sony. Sony is the big player in the sensor market and is ahead of every one else but Canon is strong in the overall package. 600D from what I have seen I would regard as a noisy high ISO camera. D5300 probably is not. Neither could match Sony A7 by a long ways.

If you want Canon or Nikon and I know its a higher price tag but its really the Canon 6D or Nikon D610 that are the 2 hot cameras in the DSLR world at that price range Nikon D800E is remarkable camera. 5D3 is great. The new Nikon DF has the Nikon D4 sensor and is the current low light high ISO king of all cameras. Canon 1DX would be hot but now we are talking big money.

Greg.
Thankyou for your reply Greg, I will have a look at the Sony tbh i havn't given them a thought at all time to do some reading
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 27-12-2013, 03:43 PM
Saturn%5's Avatar
Saturn%5 (Graeme)
Registered User

Saturn%5 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Launceston
Posts: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrandir View Post
What Greg said.
The main drawback with Sony for astrophotography is the lack of computer control compared to Canon.
Andrew thanks yeah i was leaning more toward canon for the computer control as i have ever done any astro work.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 27-12-2013, 03:44 PM
Saturn%5's Avatar
Saturn%5 (Graeme)
Registered User

Saturn%5 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Launceston
Posts: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by John W View Post
Hi, I use a Canon 550d and find it fine for astro work as well as daylight work. It has 18 MP and I would not go above that. I take RAW images and the files are already large when processing on computer. For a first timer I'd also recommend the Canon 1100d. I'd get used to using one of these before spending too much. The trick to getting good astro shots is in the processing of images. Good luck.

Thanks John a few good points you have about cost but not to worried it, Just need to look at the Sony as well.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 27-12-2013, 03:45 PM
Saturn%5's Avatar
Saturn%5 (Graeme)
Registered User

Saturn%5 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Launceston
Posts: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus View Post
Graeme, Mohammad has advertised a 4mth old Canon 600D body in the for sale section. Worth a pm to him for a price perhaps.
Trevor
Thanks Trevor will have a look.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 27-12-2013, 09:37 PM
acropolite's Avatar
acropolite (Phil)
Registered User

acropolite is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Launceston Tasmania
Posts: 9,000
Graeme if you're not too worried about cost, consider the 6D ($1549 after $200 cashback from Georges), it's full frame and is has excellent low light capabilities. It's a much better camera, weather sealing, semi pro, shutter rated for longer life etc.
Ask anyone who has one you'll get good feedback, As a nightscape camera they're arguably the best you can get.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time is now 11:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 | Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement
NexDome Observatories
Advertisement
Limpet Controller
Advertisement
Bintel
Advertisement
Testar
Advertisement
Astronomy and Electronics Centre
Advertisement