Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 21-03-2013, 09:25 AM
martyn01 (Lane)

Scopes from USA

Hi all I have been looking at getting a scope from USA as its about $1000 cheaper if anyone else is looking at doing the same maybe we can order it at the same time and see if we can get a better deal on it I'm looking for a nexstar 8se found it shipped to me for $1159 and shipping $240 but I think if we try and order a few at the same time maybe they will cut us a better deal plz let me know if anyone would be interested in this
Old 21-03-2013, 11:14 AM
Rod771 (Rod)
Turn the lights off!

Just make sure the shipping quote is confirmed by an actual person from the vendor. Don't rely on the automated quotes from the websites, they can be off the mark a bit.

Also don't forget you'll have to pay GST on the total amount including shipping.
Even so, it can still be a lot cheaper to import form the states.

Good luck with the purchase.

Last edited by Rod771; 22-03-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old 21-03-2013, 01:20 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Are you absolutely certain they will ship ouside the US? Celestron do not allow their dealers to sell outside their areas so I would check carefully.

Malcolm
Old 21-03-2013, 02:34 PM
martyn01 (Lane)

Q

If it comes to that my no lives in USA free shipping to her place she can send it to me and then I can have it sent as 2nd hand good under $1000 no gst
Old 21-03-2013, 10:28 PM
scarecrow2012 (Gary)

I might be interested in importing, same model. Where did you find this?
Old 22-03-2013, 12:18 AM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

Just a word of advice...be careful not to name the potential US based retailer in the open forum. It is likely a violation of their distribution agreement to knowingly sell outside of their territory and penalties to them would likely apply.

While I am not a prude, I also urge careful consideration about playing games with declared values on importation...if there was damage your insurance claim would be compromised as well as the fact that declaring an incorrect value and getting caught can lead to other potential difficulties and expense.

While it might not seem legitimate, there are a number of reasons why pricing in Australia may be different...not just local profiteering...
Old 22-03-2013, 06:05 AM
Barrykgerdes

You would need to be mad to buy from the USA at that price when you can get one in Australia for $1450 delivered. from an advertiser on IIS "Telescopes direct".

I supect that the item is being cleared to make way for a new line.

Barry
Old 22-03-2013, 07:56 AM
bindibadgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrykgerdes View Post
You would need to be mad to buy from the USA at that price when you can get one in Australia for $1450 delivered. from an advertiser on IIS "Telescopes direct".

I supect that the item is being cleared to make way for a new line.

Barry
I think you must be mixing it up with a different scope. The 8se is $2,399 from Telescopes Direct, not $1,450.

I really want an 8se, and I am genuinely outraged that the MSRP is $1,199 in the USA and $5,199 in Australia. Somebody ought to be imprisoned over this. We have a free trade agreement, so I'm not sure how Celestron can get away with their policy of not allowing retailers to ship outside of their area.

We are being blatantly ripped off here folks, don't try to soften it up. I'm not saying that it is necessarily anybody in Australia who is at fault; I'm sure the stores here are only passing on the ridiculously high prices that they are charged by the manufacterer, but Celestron should be hanged.
Old 22-03-2013, 08:43 AM
Rod771 (Rod)
Turn the lights off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadgi View Post
We are being blatantly ripped off here folks, don't try to soften it up. I'm not saying that it is necessarily anybody in Australia who is at fault; I'm sure the stores here are only passing on the ridiculously high prices that they are charged by the manufacterer, but Celestron should be hanged.

Not so much Celestron, but definitely their Australian distributor Sheldon and Hammond
Old 22-03-2013, 09:05 AM
Barrykgerdes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadgi View Post
I think you must be mixing it up with a different scope. The 8se is $2,399 from Telescopes Direct, not $1,450.

I really want an 8se, and I am genuinely outraged that the MSRP is $1,199 in the USA and $5,199 in Australia. Somebody ought to be imprisoned over this. We have a free trade agreement, so I'm not sure how Celestron can get away with their policy of not allowing retailers to ship outside of their area.

Interesting Sorry about that
I just googled celestron 8se and came up with that price. However closer inspection of the add showed it as 6se. However the price of the 8se at $2400 still looks pretty good considering the Australian marketing costs.

However there may be some overpricing of goods in Australia. You would need to be an importer and retailer to know the expenses of retailing in Australia. The Australian retailer has to provide for expenses in selling that are unheard of in the rest of the world and don't forget everything you buy anywhere overseas is bought on credit that will need to be paid for some day.

Barry
Old 22-03-2013, 09:37 AM
Russ59

Lane, this topic gets brought up with monotonous regularity in the atronomy community for as long as i can recall. Nothing changes, never have and never will.

I has read countless threads across several forums over the years complaining about it.

I know other members previously in this thread have raised some questions for you but I'll ask them again for your consideration...

1. When you acquired your overseas price, was it via the vendor's automatic website? Did you confirm from an actual human being that the will definitely ship to Australia? If you simply calculated the price via the vendor's checkout, then wait until a human being intervenes in the warehouse. I have personally had orders cancelled after it wa discovered I was not in the US.

2. If your 8SE is faulty you will have no warranty support anywhere he in Australia.

3. Have you factored in 10% import GST?

4. As mentioned, if you mention the vendor there is a good chance Celestron will be advised and the vendor will be penalised (and you won't get your order).

5. As Barry said, $2400 is a pretty good price for an Australian Retailer.

6. Whilst I understand you are "outraged" over the $5199 MSRP, realistically they are being sold for $2400, so no need to get upset over a possible marketing ploy by a local retailer.

7. As a side note, this range does not have a clutch, so you cannot disengage the drive and operate the scope by hand. Are you aware of this? I only point this out because it is something that is often pointed out with the SE range. I know because I've been a part of a number of threads in forums in the US and UK which have raised this topic.
Old 22-03-2013, 10:11 AM
martyn01 (Lane)

I have been looking a lot online for the nexstar 8se and found a few sites that will ship it for $256 that's not to bad
Old 22-03-2013, 10:21 AM
Russ59

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn01 View Post
I have been looking a lot online for the nexstar 8se and found a few sites that will ship it for $256 that's not to bad
Are they Australian sellers, Lane?

Cheers,
Russ
Old 22-03-2013, 10:39 AM
martyn01 (Lane)

No from USA just trying to save a few 100$ on the scope
Old 22-03-2013, 12:37 PM
Barrykgerdes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ59 View Post
7. As a side note, this range does not have a clutch, so you cannot disengage the drive and operate the scope by hand. Are you aware of this? I only point this out because it is something that is often pointed out with the SE range. I know because I've been a part of a number of threads in forums in the US and UK which have raised this topic.
This is an interesting point. Over the last three years I have acquired three base assemblies from the SE series scopes. All with damaged Altitude/declination drive sections. Whether they wore out or broke from abuse I don't know. They were not repairable so they would have needed to be replaced under warrantee. (necessary in Australia). This warrantee would no doubt have been carried by the vendor, another selling cost in Australia.

Barry
Old 22-03-2013, 12:56 PM
allan gould

Just checked AndrewsCom and the Celestron 8SE is $1999 with free shipping. I wouldnt bother going else where. Considering the guarantee
Old 22-03-2013, 04:05 PM
martyn01 (Lane)

I will never shop at Andrews again after my last scope, got a 10" don when I got it it was the wrong scope that was on line hr gave me an old style scope and said it was new, all parts not in the box and he got upset that I wanted to take it back, he was very nasty when I took it back in to his shop so never again with Andrews
Old 22-03-2013, 05:56 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Thats strange Lane ? I have found andrews very good .
Even when I ordered a 150mm f5 SW frak and they sent a 150mm f5 SW Newt instead they payed for the reverse shipping back from all the way up here from Darwin as well as sending the refractor the same day I contacted them , even before I recieved the instructions on how to sent the Newtonion back .
Brian .
Old 22-03-2013, 06:29 PM
allan gould

Never had a problem with Andrewscom even when a WO refractor purchased by me had astigmatism and some other errors. Replaced without a murmur. That's why I recommended them.
Allan
Old 22-03-2013, 06:58 PM
martyn01 (Lane)

Same that's why I went there as most people on here said it was a good place to go maybe just a bad day or something not sure but all good just want to get a nice new scope at least 8" and goto but all the talk abut nexstar and some of the problems now I need to think again o well just save up a bit