Old 06-07-2021, 09:29 PM
Gummick (John)

Eyepieces for young children

Hi all. I'm hoping someone could provide recommendations for eyepieces suitable for young children (4-6 years old). The telescope is an 8 inch dobsonian.

They've had a go with the stock 25mm plossl but they both have trouble getting their eye in the right spot.

I'm not sure if there are easier options? Given the audience budget options are preferred.
Old 07-07-2021, 05:55 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Hello,

Maybe try eye guards on top of the plossl if you can? Ebay has lots for microscopes and such. Sounds like the kids need somewhere to rest, rather than a new eyepiece.

Maybe cut up a bit of stiffish foam, wet suits/gym mats etc, and wrap that around the ep, give it a little give so its adjustable.

Otherwise, the standard suggestion of BST/Star Guider, under $80 and has the adjustable twist top for eye placement. That's about the cheapest adjustable twist top ep I can think of that seems to rate very well in the entry level market.

Steve
Ps. the Star guider are $75 I think, best 3(of 6) for $215 from memory, 60degree FOV and ED coatings. Plenty of reviews for them on CN etc.

Last edited by mura_gadi; 07-07-2021 at 10:21 AM. Reason: added Ps
Old 07-07-2021, 12:51 PM
Gummick (John)

Thanks for the reply. As luck would have it I've already ordered the 15mm and 8mm Stsrguiders, they should arrive in a day or two. Will see how the kids go with those.
Old 07-07-2021, 12:59 PM
Graman (GR)

I think you will enjoy them. The 15mm Starguider is a real gem. Excellent value for money...I own one and have kept it even though I have other EPs that cost a lot more.

More in-depth reviews on the Starguider EPs below:
https://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/...ferrerid=32130