Old 12-08-2021, 06:59 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

NASA Artemis Program

Hello,

I am trying to look for any information on the upcoming Artemis program in regards to radio signals. Will there be anyway to listen in? I have been reading a little about LunaNet etc, but I'm having trouble getting a decent answer.

Thanks
Steve

Last edited by mura_gadi; 12-08-2021 at 07:12 AM.
Old 15-08-2021, 03:18 PM
tonybarry (Tony)

Hi Steve,

The comms of the Apollo era was basic to the point of rude. So it was able to be "tapped" by enterprising amateurs with sufficiently large antennae and microwave kit.

Since the ISS, we have had CCSDS standards for data (where voice is considered low bandwidth low latency data).

The current RFC (request for comment) describes a very different pathway, through commercial providers who will not have access to the data they are carrying as it will be encrypted. NASA describe this as the "bent pipe" system :-)

The following link is the RFC. Section 3 describes spectrum allocation, though tapping it is unfeasible except for communications that NASA may permit for express amateur comms.

Regards,
Tony Barry
WSAAG

https://sam.gov/api/prod/opps/v3/opp...rchived&token=