Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 04-07-2022, 05:26 AM
leon

Your PC has ran into a problem and needs to restart

Hi Guys, just asking here if anyone has the fix for "Your PC has run into a problem and needs to restart" please.

I know one can go to "Press Windows and the S key and enter advanced setting, and change something, and save the change, but i am not sure of what change to actually save.

Could someone please help out here.

The PC hasn't done this for a long time, however it is starting to do it occasionally, and it is annoying when one is in the middle of something.

Thanks in advance.

Leon
Old 04-07-2022, 06:51 AM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

All sorts of things can cause this Leon.

You need to work out what's causing it to fix it.

There may be a an error code on the screen. If so, check that on the Microsoft website.

My computer did it for ages. It turned out it was the CPU getting hot (sometimes it would fail without the Blue Screen of Death as well). I fixed it by replacing the finned CPU cooler with a water cooler, but in hind sight probably only needed to replace the thermal paste between the CPU and the cooler. After the event I found out that the thermal paste dries out over time, and it is recommended that it is replaced every 2 years. Who ever heard of that?

No idea if a hot CPU is the problem you have, but if you want to check it, I used Speccy software. CPU should run <50°C higher then that may be a problem.

Al.
Old 04-07-2022, 06:53 AM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

The admin tool Event Viewer is also handy to see what caused the shutdown.

Al.
Old 04-07-2022, 11:26 AM
astro744

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheeny View Post
All sorts of things can cause this Leon.

You need to work out what's causing it to fix it.

There may be a an error code on the screen. If so, check that on the Microsoft website.

My computer did it for ages. It turned out it was the CPU getting hot (sometimes it would fail without the Blue Screen of Death as well). I fixed it by replacing the finned CPU cooler with a water cooler, but in hind sight probably only needed to replace the thermal paste between the CPU and the cooler. After the event I found out that the thermal paste dries out over time, and it is recommended that it is replaced every 2 years. Who ever heard of that?

No idea if a hot CPU is the problem you have, but if you want to check it, I used Speccy software. CPU should run <50°C higher then that may be a problem.

Al.
+1

Mine is doing this lately. I have set an audible alarm in the BIOS for CPU temp limit. The fan on the CPU was spinning very slowly. A bit of a dust clean and a spray of lubricate on the fan bearing and it is fine for another year (same thing happened last year). I know, probably needs new paste too but I risk zapping the CPU. I have taken the side of my case off and run a 30cm floor fan directly onto the case. Alarm goes away and stays away almost immediately.

It is an old 2.4GHz Quad Core from 2008 but still does what I need it to do. Much faster now with SSD as my boot drive and runs Windows 10 pro without a problem with 4GB RAM.

The BSOD QR code and message from Microsoft tells me page fault in a particular file but that is expected if the CPU shuts down. Doesn't really give a clue as to what may be causing it. Setting the temp alarm certainly helped me pinpoint the problem in my case.
Old 04-07-2022, 01:12 PM
leon

Ok, thank you indeed, will check out your suggestions, but must mention that this desktop in particular is a brand new build, with all the very latest bits and pieces.

including the following:

SilverStone Precision PS16 Black Micro ATX Case, No PSU

Blu-ray Writer, 16x BD-WRITE, 16x DVDRW

MSI MPG A850GF 80+ Gold Fully Modular 850W PSU

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 6 Cores 12 Threads up to 4.4 GHz with Radeon Graphics Desktop Processor
Gigabyte B550M DS3H AC AM4 Micro ATX Motherboard

G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB (2x8GB) 3600MHz CL18 DDR4 Desktop RAM

Crucial P2 500GB NVMe M.2 SSD

Crucial P2 CT2000P2SSD8 2TB PCIe M.2 2280SS SSD

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" Internal SSD

ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD 27" 144Hz Free Sync Gaming Monitor and cable

So I expect it should be good, but will check anyway.

Thanks Leon
Old 04-07-2022, 02:50 PM
astro744

Ok, if new then likely other cause. If you get the Blue screen with the Microsoft QR code, scan it and then use another device to see what Microsoft say and follow their advice.

Is this the machine you did a clone to SSD and if so did you get this error with the previous setup? Was it the boot drive that was cloned? The Microsoft support site often recommend sfc /scannow (run cmd as admin and type sfc /scannow at the command prompt) to check system file integrity.
Old 04-07-2022, 03:20 PM
leon

Yes it was this machine and prior to that episode all seemed good, and yes again it was a boot drive that was supposed to have been cloned.

Thank You for your suggestion.

Leon