Old 20-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Paul K

Orion StarShoot Pro V2.0 ?

Hi all, I'm contemplating aquiring an Orion StarShoot Pro V2.0... I'm currently using a Canon 450D unmodified...and I'm getting mixed results...My question is, would I see a marked improvement by using the dedicated camera over the 450D...??..Long exposures on the 450D tend to develop artifacts after...5 ~10 minutes.....(examples posted on this site) and as my main interests are the feint fuzzies... and I need the longer exposures for those....

Any suggestions most welcome

Regards
Paul
Old 20-08-2009, 04:12 PM
gbeal

If it is the same camera as the QHY8, (is it??) then I would suggest it will be an appreciable difference. If it is the same/similar camera, then why not just get the QHY8, you have a great dealer in Oz.
Gary
Old 20-08-2009, 04:16 PM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

It's the same chip and virtually a similar camera.
Old 20-08-2009, 04:27 PM
koputai (Jason)

Doesn't the Orion SSPV2 use the ICX413 which is interlaced, and the QHY-8 uses the ICX453, which is progressive?
This makes them quite different beasts.

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 20-08-2009, 04:59 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

It is a similar chip, but also very different as Jason mentioned. the Orion is Interlaced, where as the QHY8 is progressive scan. the Orion's cooling is somewhat less effective than the QHY8, however its power consumption is much lower too...

I have had both, results wise, the QHY8 images are slightly less noisy.. I never used darks with the QHY8, with the Orion I use between 3 and 5 dark frames. I find the results as far as colour response and signal to be comparable, if not exactly the same...

The Orion is louder, as it uses a smaller fan... Its also quite a bit bigger in physical size too..

All in all, for most intents and purposes, the Orion and the QHY8 are much the same...

Yes I think you would see a marked improvement over DSLR imaging if you bought either the QHY8 or the Orion SS Pro V2

I've run up to 30 minute exposures with both cameras and found neither to exhibit any artefacts or defects as a result...

Best of luck with your decision!

Alex.
Old 20-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Moon (James)
This sentence is false

Let me pose a similar question. I am currently using a Nikon D50 which I believe has a Sony ICX413AQ sensor - the same sensor as the Orion StarShoot Pro V2.0.
Right now my biggest issues are:
1. Amp glow
2. No way to control exposures from the Laptop
3. No live view for focusing

If I did decide to go down this 'upgrade' path, I would be rather disappointed if I was still getting amp glow. Is this a function of the sensor or other elements of the camera design??

A Canon 1000D seems like a cheaper option that could possibly resolve my 3 key issues.
Old 20-08-2009, 05:06 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

the Orion does not suffer from amp glow. Its amp is disabled during exposure, and only powered during data transfer...

The Nikon D50 does use the same sensor as the Orion SS Pro 2, and your 3 problems, whilst addressed by buying a Canon 1000D, would also be addressed by getting either the QHY8 or the Orion..

Other issues you'll run into with the 1000D:
Noise - You will need lots of darks.
No cooling - you will need more darks.
Ha Response - you will need to modify the 1000D to capture Ha wavelengths

All of those are addressed with the Orion or QHY8 too..
Old 20-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Paul K

Thank you gentlemen for all your input, probably leaning towards the QHY8...I'm getting intermittant artifact on my longer exposures....get very frustrating....

Again Thanks
Paul