Old 15-05-2014, 05:59 PM
Asterix2020 (Paul)

Oag ts9oag?

I've started a new thread with a more appropriate heading. After lots of researching I've decided to update the focuser on the RC8 to a Moonlight with the 68mm threaded barrel and motor focusing.

For the OAG, only a TS9OAG will work with both my ED80 with flattener and the RC8. The TS9OAG has a M48 thread on the scope side which will connect to the flattener on teh ED80, and a 68-48 adapter on the RC8/Moonlight.

I did consider the Hutech OAG5 but it seems a lot more expensive, plus I'm not sure what adapters I need, and I don't think it will work with the ED80 with flattener.

So I'm interested in feedback on the TS9OAG, especially with DSLR. Also my CDS-600D is a different form factor to a 600D, I'm concerned where some people have had problems with the guidecamera stalk hitting the camera body. And some people think it's a but flimsy.

If I went with a Hutech OAG5, and had the RC8 and ED80 both on the mount, can teh RC8/Hutech guide with no camera attached? That way I can leave everything setup (when the ROR is finished) and only swap the imaging camera.
Old 15-05-2014, 06:05 PM
Asterix2020 (Paul)

I'm also looking at getting an ASI120MM for the guiding camera to replace my DBK21. I'm wanting it to do double duty on planetary imaging as well. So will the ASI120MM hit the CDS-600D body when attached to the TS9OAG?
Old 16-05-2014, 08:03 AM
Chris85 (Chris)

Hi, I recently purchased a Oag9 and although I haven't used it in action yet, I did find testing it with my Qhy5 that it did foul with my camera. For that reason I'm looking at getting the qhy5l-ii as it's profile is much smaller, and as I understand it uses the same chip the ASI.
Cheers
Old 16-05-2014, 08:25 AM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

I've got this OAG and use it with the DSLR. I have mixed feelings about it. Overall it works, but I find some things irritating.

The only position I can place it is perpendicular to the camera base - otherwise the camera body interferes with getting the guide camera to a suitable position on the stalk. Fortunately, this is actually the best place for it to minimise intrusion into the main camera image.

To take off the 6D, I have to remove the guide camera first. Normally this is only a minor irriitance at the end of the night when I'm packing up, but more of an issue if I want to switch to a barlow/reducer. Getting the right position on the stalk for the guide camera is a bit trial and error, although with practice you'll get quicker at nailing the right position.

I think the idea behind an OAG is great, but I feel it's ripe for innovation to make things easier to use. I'd love to have some form of focuser on these things to avoid the unscrew/slide approach.

Finally, I've been having some issue with light leakage in my system. I thought it was at the 6D, but I think I've eliminated that now. I did notice that the stalk hole had gaps which I've now covered up - but I haven't had a chance to test if this was the problem.
Old 16-05-2014, 10:34 AM
Asterix2020 (Paul)

Well, I think I'll go with the TS-OAG9 since I can use it on the ED80, plus it just seems easier to connect. It has M48 thread on the scope side, which goes into a M68-M48 adapter on the Moonlight focuser, and onto the FF/FR of the ED80. I can't make sense of how to attached the Hutech, if I'm reading it correctly it's about US$800 with all the adapters. Bit more than E150 for the TSOAG9.
Now the QHY5 is 64 diam and 32 deep, the ASI120MM is 62 diam and 28 deep, so it seems it would foul the DSLR body. But if the stalk is in the down position, does it clear the body? If so the width of the guide cam shouldn't matter?

Chris and Chris, these photos (http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=2454) seem to show the stalk clears the body in the down position, so the ASI120MM should fit?
Old 16-05-2014, 11:56 AM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

I can't comment on your camera, but the stalk definitely clears the camera body. You might have issues with the connector that goes on the stalk, depending on how close to the camera body you need to get.

Also, note while the cost of the unit is fine, the shipping costs from Germany can seem a bit expensive.

Btw, the ST-i or the QHY5L-ii work without any obstruction issue for this OAG.
Old 16-05-2014, 11:59 AM
Asterix2020 (Paul)

I guess I liked the ASI120MM has it comes with a filter set for planetary.http://www.zwoptical.com/Eng/Cameras/ASI120/index.asp
Also it has a M42 thread that connects directly to the stalk.

I can't seem to find a similar manual filter wheel for the QHY5L-ii. Also, how does the QHY5L-ii connect to the stalk?
Old 16-05-2014, 12:20 PM
alistairsam

Hi Paul,

I have the TS9OAG and am extremely happy with it.
I've tested it on my 10inchF4, ED80, 8inchF4 with a DSLR and with an SBIG STF8300/SX7positionwheel and a baader coma corrector.

in your case, on the telescope side, it'll connect with an M48 to the flattener, and then the flattener would use the M48toM68 adaptor and screw into the moonlite drawtube?
on the camera side, you might want to get the EOS adaptor for the TS9OAG.
what this does is keeps the distance from the CCD to the OAG plane at 55mm which works for most flatteners and coma correctors.
without this, you'll be adding 10mm for a conventional T2 to EOS adaptor which'll make the distance 65mm.

so you'll need to get the EOS and M48 version of the TS-OAG.

yep, it is not rock solid, but for a 9mm profile, it absolutely works once you get everything tight.
with my 1000D, I kept the guide port at the bottom of the camera so it doesn't interfere.

and for handling weight, I was skeptical on whether it would support my SBIG and 7 position filter wheel, but it does. so no issues there.
you can also get the T2 to C-mount adaptor/extension for the guide camera to fix your guide cam. I'd suggest using a threaded adaptor for the guidecam than the standard one. that way, once focused, you don't have to refocus the guidecam even if it is removed as you just screw it back on without moving the stalk or holder.

pics attached might give you an idea.

Below should suit . you might want to get a spare T2 and M48 camera side adaptor for the OAG. that way you would have three camera interfaces as they are interchangeable.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop...ial-Offer.html

This is the T2-cmount which works with the lodestar and qhy5L2(i think)
https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop...mm-length.html

else this works as it has a T2 thread as well, for the guidecam.
https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop...d---short.html

Cheers
Alistair
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (2013-07-31 21.31.07.jpg)
143.5 KB61 views
Click for full-size image (2013-11-16 09.06.32.jpg)
175.6 KB56 views
Click for full-size image (2013-10-10 01.17.49.jpg)
160.9 KB60 views
Old 16-05-2014, 12:29 PM
Asterix2020 (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairsam View Post
Hi Paul,

I have the TS9OAG and am extremely happy with it.
I've tested it on my 10inchF4, ED80, 8inchF4 with a DSLR and with an SBIG STF8300/SX7positionwheel and a baader coma corrector.

in your case, on the telescope side, it'll connect with an M48 to the flattener, and then the flattener would use the M48toM68 adaptor and screw into the moonlite drawtube?
flattener will then go into the standard skywatcher focuser on the ED80. The Moonlight will be on my RC8, and Moonlight sell a M68 to M48 adapter, no flattener for the RC8)

Quote:

on the camera side, you might want to get the EOS adaptor for the TS9OAG.
what this does is keeps the distance from the CCD to the OAG plane at 55mm which works for most flatteners and coma correctors.
without this, you'll be adding 10mm for a conventional T2 to EOS adaptor which'll make the distance 65mm.
Yep
Quote:
so you'll need to get the EOS and M48 version of the TS-OAG.

yep, it is not rock solid, but for a 9mm profile, it absolutely works once you get everything tight.
with my 1000D, I kept the guide port at the bottom of the camera so it doesn't interfere.
So do you think any guide cam should be ok, as it appears the stalk clears the bottom of the DSLR, so guide cam width (like the ASI120MM) shoudn't be a problem?

Quote:
and for handling weight, I was skeptical on whether it would support my SBIG and 7 position filter wheel, but it does. so no issues there.
you can also get the T2 to C-mount adaptor/extension for the guide camera to fix your guide cam. I'd suggest using a threaded adaptor for the guidecam than the standard one. that way, once focused, you don't have to refocus the guidecam even if it is removed as you just screw it back on without moving the stalk or holder.
The ASI120MM has the T2 thread so would go straight on the stalk, as long as it doesn't hit the DSLR
Quote:

pics attached might give you an idea.

Below should suit . you might want to get a spare T2 and M48 camera side adaptor for the OAG. that way you would have three camera interfaces as they are interchangeable.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop...ial-Offer.html

This is the T2-cmount which works with the lodestar and qhy5L2(i think)
https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop...mm-length.html

else this works as it has a T2 thread as well, for the guidecam.
https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop...d---short.html

Cheers
Alistair
Thanks.
Old 17-05-2014, 01:45 PM
Asterix2020 (Paul)

Ok, I ordered the TSOAG9 (EOS) and the ASI120MM. Plus Moonlight focusers for my ED80 and RC8. I'm pretty confident from all the photos I've seen that the ASI120MM should work with the TSOAG9 and the DSLR in the down position. Now just to wait for it all to arrive
Old 06-06-2014, 08:33 PM
ikoms (Ioannis)

Did you have any progress with the OAG and the ASI?
Old 06-06-2014, 08:47 PM
Asterix2020 (Paul)

The ASI120MM doesn't foul on the CDS-600D body in the down position. It won't fit in the other two positions (like other DSLR cameras). I haven't had a chance to use it yet.