Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Poll: number of cooled DSLR's on the forum
Poll Options
number of cooled DSLR's on the forum
You can only choose 2 options to vote on.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:10 AM
jenchris (Jennifer)

Well it's a good job I asked the question then isn't it!
So, I'm not going to do that - looks like a full extent dark library coming up!!!!
Ok here's another preamble to idiocy and institutionalisation.
The camera adapter can be cooled by the method advanced above - when the mirror opens, the cool air rushes in and stops amp glow because the sensor is not getting warmer, it is getting cooler.
Presuming the adapter can be insulated, it will have enough cool stored for it to be a heat sink.
How's that?
Hopefully, the diagonal star prism won't end up fogged up by condensation - but that's another story - maybe double glazing????
Old 06-12-2010, 07:57 AM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenchris View Post
Well it's a good job I asked the question then isn't it!
So, I'm not going to do that - looks like a full extent dark library coming up!!!!
That's what I'm doing these days - the cooler seems to be more efficient than the specs on the Central DS website suggest. They say it'll cool down -18ºC +/-2º but it dropped from an ambient of 24ºC to -2ºC last night.

As the sensor heats up during use, the cooling only varies by about 1º over a 2 hour session of taking darks ie -2º at start of run, -1º at end.

Doug
Old 19-12-2010, 07:54 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Update - very happy with my Central DS cooled 40D. Very easy to use - suits my widefield lens imaging perfectly. New camera behaves exactly like the old one! Cooling seems more efficient than advertised.Added approx 500g to weight of camera - no problem to HEQ5 Pro mount.
Very happy so far.
Old 26-12-2010, 08:59 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
I just have a cool DSLR. :tonguepoke:

H
I think you do too. And specifically due to you, I think Im going to be a 5d mk2 owner fairly shortly .
Old 18-05-2014, 01:17 PM
nebulosity. (Jo)

I cooled a 350D that I use for most of my imaging. Cooling is regulated and is able to easily sit on 35 degrees below ambient, takes about 5 minutes to drop the first 30 degrees and then about another few to drop the rest. Subs at max ISO are silky smooth

Jo
Old 18-05-2014, 09:26 PM
gb44 (Glenn)

I have a cooling box for my 350d. With my newtonian I get dew on the coma corrector buggering things up. So I modified the box by adding a rheostat to limit the cooling but I havent been able to really try it out.
One night the box froze the camera and it was inoperable but recovered okay.
Old 18-05-2014, 09:29 PM
Astro_Bot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulosity. View Post
I cooled a 350D that I use for most of my imaging. Cooling is regulated and is able to easily sit on 35 degrees below ambient, takes about 5 minutes to drop the first 30 degrees and then about another few to drop the rest. Subs at max ISO are silky smooth
As someone who admires your craftsmanship and attention to detail (what I can see in photos, anyway), I'm very interested in what gear/method you used to cool your DSLR, and how much it cost.
Old 19-05-2014, 06:00 AM
nebulosity. (Jo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro_Bot View Post
As someone who admires your craftsmanship and attention to detail (what I can see in photos, anyway), I'm very interested in what gear/method you used to cool your DSLR, and how much it cost.
Thanks Bot!

Check out this thread for more info on the cooling, all up I think it cost me around $200

Cheers
Jo