Old 07-12-2021, 05:22 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Going ZWO

I have long had a wish/hope to reduce clutter and power at the scope by using a small headless computer at the scope. I messed about with RaspberryPis of various configurations but never made the final leap of faith needed to adopt them as THE solution Astroberry and Stellarmate are both good products but I am not a LINUX buff and always found that the maze of drivers, dependencies etc was over my head.

And then along came ZWO products. I know the ASiair products are based on a RaspberryPi backbone but it is well hidden in the overall product. And I have made the decision to set up a wholly ZWO rig. So I have been slowly gathering the various bits and pieces needed. And I am now ready to give it a test. Trouble is, as you would expect, the weather has gone from bad to worse and shows no sign of improving for quite a while.

In the interim, I have been putting it together.

The scope is just an 8 inch GSO F5 newt. Primary has been recoated and looks great. The primary CCD is an ASi1600MM with a ZWO mini filter wheel and Astrodon 1.25 inch 5 nm NB filters. Focus is with an ASI EAF attached to a Bintel crayford focuser via some DIY adapter work. There is a Baader MPCC (3) in there and finally a ASI120mini guide cam in a SZBONY 60 mm F4 guide scope riding piggyback.

So now I sit and look at it all and wait, and wait, and wait some more.
Old 07-12-2021, 05:51 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

The ASI air software certainly takes some time to get used to and well worth spending some time with during the cloudy nights. You can set-up and execute imaging runs at least - plate solving, auto focussing and tracking are rather improved with stars!

Once you have worked it all out, it's a breeze to leave the rig unattended dusk till dawn. Cheating really!
Old 07-12-2021, 05:58 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Peter,
I’m purely a ZWO user
Almost the same as my rig in my NexDome south coast NSW , although your imaging Mono which is a huge advantage
What mount area you using ?

My rig
8” f5 Bintel GSO newt
Skywatcher EQ6-R pro mount
ZWOASI2600MC
Optolong L Extreme filter
Orion 60mm guide scope with helical focuser
ZWOASI120MM-S USB3 guide camera
ZWO EAF focuser and home made custom arrangement to fit GSO dual speed crayford focuser
Baader MCCP Mk3 coma corrector

I haven’t opened my Dome since the 3rd September

In Sydney, I’ve only had 2 nights ( 2 to 3 hours only ) since mid September, so over 10 weeks since I’ve imaged anything.

Oh and our scopes are not “just an 8” f5 GSO” their bloody great scopes for under $600 bucks.
I’m contemplating a 10” f5 carbon fibre in 2022 , and if the minister for finance approves the budget , thinking about an EQ8-R pro ( they seem to have ironed out all the issues with this mount over the past 12 months )

Good luck with your new ZWO set up and hope the skies clear soon for all of us on the eastern seaboard of Oz

Cheers
Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (25C4670F-77E6-4258-BB34-DFDE52ADA218.jpg)
193.8 KB47 views
Click for full-size image (2717F7DD-D9C3-4555-B188-A6A737CEF073.jpg)
180.9 KB47 views
Click for full-size image (4D4C0816-0ED1-49A2-8AD4-C743732AE51D.jpg)
176.7 KB36 views
Old 07-12-2021, 06:23 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrojunk View Post
… plate solving, auto focussing and tracking are rather improved with stars!
😂😂
Old 07-12-2021, 06:29 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

G’day Martin. Very similar rig to yours - right down to the hose clamp and aluminium DIY attachment.

A question. With the GSO and Bintel crayford focusers, there are 2 screws underneath - one is a lock nut (at the rear) and the other sets the degree of pressure on the axle to prevent slipping. I assume the lock screw becomes unnecessary with the EAF attached but the tensioner screw is still needed. But does the EAF hold the position when when it is not powered on?
Old 07-12-2021, 06:56 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrid View Post
G’day Martin. Very similar rig to yours - right down to the hose clamp and aluminium DIY attachment.

A question. With the GSO and Bintel crayford focusers, there are 2 screws underneath - one is a lock nut (at the rear) and the other sets the degree of pressure on the axle to prevent slipping. I assume the lock screw becomes unnecessary with the EAF attached but the tensioner screw is still needed. But does the EAF hold the position when when it is not powered on?
Peter,
I just treat the focuser the same as if the EAF just replaced my thumb and forefinger to focus
Yes I use the 2 screws as normal and had no issues at all after 6 months, no slippage etc...
Martin
Old 08-12-2021, 06:48 PM
charmec (Manuel)

I have both the Asipro and plus and all ZWO cameras. You are going to really enjoy how easy it is to use and get get great results so good luck and look forward to how it works, my self very happy with they do.
Cheers