Old 15-11-2021, 10:58 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

The stupid question regarding filters

Does it make any difference if a filter is mounted backwards to usual orientation? I have a Tak adapter that presents an m48 filter thread on the rear of the adapter meaning the filter gets screwed on bass-ackwards.

Does it make any difference (it’s going to hold a UV/IR cut filter) or since the light will be going through it anyway won’t make a jot of difference.

If it does I’ll just get a custom one made
Old 15-11-2021, 11:21 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Does it make any difference if a filter is mounted backwards to usual orientation? I have a Tak adapter that presents an m48 filter thread on the rear of the adapter meaning the filter gets screwed on bass-ackwards.

Does it make any difference (it’s going to hold a UV/IR cut filter) or since the light will be going through it anyway won’t make a jot of difference.

Unless there is an anti reflection coating on one side only it shouldn't matter.
Old 15-11-2021, 11:26 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Just been informed there is a filter adapter in the inside end of the draw tube so cool beans
Old 15-11-2021, 11:46 AM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post

Hi Lewis,

It can make a difference as Marc has already said, but if it ever becomes an issue for any filter you'd like to use you can VERY carefully unscrew or unclip the filter retaining ring on the filter assembly itself and invert the filter inside its holder. I have done that for a different reason on some Nikon 39mm threaded filters that I wanted to convert to use 36mm unmounted astro type filters.

I do recall an issue once raised to do with the "directionality" of some early ZWO filters

Best
JA
Old 15-11-2021, 12:24 PM
Stonius (Markus)

The way to tell is to hold something near the filter and observe the reflection in the filter. If one side gives you a double reflection and the other gives you a single reflection, the filter is directional.

Cheers,

Markus