Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories

Old 30-08-2021, 11:55 AM
RugbyRene (Rene)

Any recommended builders?

Hi all,

So I had a builder lined up to build my backyard obs but he declined to do the job as I didn't have a budget in mind. I explained I didn't have a budget but wanted to see how much it would be to build. I gave him all the specs so was confused when he declined to quote me (business must be really good during lockdown).

Any-who, I was wondering if the community could recommend a builder with experience building a RORO obs and would quote me on the work. I live on the lower north shore of Sydney.

Oh and my DIY skills don't extend to building an obs.

Cheers,

Rene
Old 31-08-2021, 06:56 AM
bojan
amateur

I tried many companies/suppliers and local builders.. Disaster.. unless you have unlimited budget.
Old 31-08-2021, 08:13 AM
leon

Unfortunately one would have to do it themselves, many builders today build many houses, sheds etc but the framing is pre made in a factory and is erected when on the job, then the other trades do their bit.

To quote a job that is out of the ordinary and small would prove time consuming, and actually putting it together bit by bit from a plan that you have would also prove to much hassel.

However Rene you might get lucky and find someone to help you out, maybe a retired builder doing stuff to keep active and plenty of time, to do small jobs, good luck mate.

My two cents worth,

Leon
Old 31-08-2021, 08:29 AM
bojan
amateur

Yes, Leon has a good point.
Anything non-standard scares tradies, and then they walk out or provide outrageous quotes, so you give up.

However, even with the retirees helping you, you have to know what you want.. and you will change that very often once you start the realization of the project (talking from my own experience )
Old 31-08-2021, 08:39 AM
Wilso

Hi Rene,
To get a quote you really need some plans drawn up with details and specifications so they know what to quote on.
Then you can send it out to a couple of builders and they’re quoting on the same thing. Devil is in the detail.
Hope this helps
Old 31-08-2021, 01:37 PM
RugbyRene (Rene)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
I tried many companies/suppliers and local builders.. Disaster.. unless you have unlimited budget.
I had a builder that wouldn't quote unless I told him what my budget was. I said I didn't have a budget and getting a quote was to see if it was affordable. He said, I can only quote if I know what your budget is. I said I didn't have a budget........etc, etc, etc. Round and round we went.

Kind of a Catch-22 situation.
Old 31-08-2021, 01:39 PM
RugbyRene (Rene)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilso View Post
Hi Rene,
To get a quote you really need some plans drawn up with details and specifications so they know what to quote on.
Then you can send it out to a couple of builders and they’re quoting on the same thing. Devil is in the detail.
Hope this helps
I understand what you're saying but it's a shed with a clamshell roof. How hard can that be to build?
Old 31-08-2021, 01:41 PM
RugbyRene (Rene)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
Yes, Leon has a good point.
Anything non-standard scares tradies, and then they walk out or provide outrageous quotes, so you give up.

However, even with the retirees helping you, you have to know what you want.. and you will change that very often once you start the realization of the project (talking from my own experience )
Yeah it's all about how quick you can build it and move onto the next job rather than doing a quality build.
Old 09-09-2021, 04:02 PM
appiice (Ed)

Obs

Hello Rene

I am a licensed builder and can tell you that any reputable builder would only quote on presented plans.

Yes it may only be a shed but I can tell you from bitter experience that your idea of a " shed " is different from from the next person who wants a shed.

Having been in front of the old Builders License Board ( yes I'm old ) and having appeared for clients at both NCAT and the Tribunal , the builder will ALWAYS come off second best in a dispute.

Why would a builder put him/herself in that world of pain?

Yes it seems simple and really it is, but, the plans would protect you as much as the contactor.
Old 11-09-2021, 02:31 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Plans are essential so the builder can price and contract what is shown. Even if it changes later, those changes can be quantified. A draughtsman can draw plans for a few thousand dollars and advise if approval is required and an engineer can give concrete and steel designs for a few hundred dollars and may even design the roll off roof support frames.

Why would a builder invest his time and money quoting if you have not invested a some time and money drawing what it he is to price. Without plans his quote might be undermined by another less qualified builder which is a common risk.
Old 12-09-2021, 04:49 PM
gregbradley

Why not buy one of these already made domes. It'll end up being cheaper.

Greg.
Old 14-09-2021, 12:21 PM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Why not buy one of these already made domes. It'll end up being cheaper.

Greg.
Yes, but you still need builder for footing etc. and plans for permit.. not necessarily cheaper - unless you find something second hand for bargain price.
Old 21-09-2021, 06:20 AM
etill (Elliot)

Not to defend any particular builders practices, but depending on state, cost of job, local council, etc the builder is taking on some risk. They have to offer warranties and accept various liability depending on the local rules and regulations. Their insurance isn't cheap and looking at a structure where the roof is supposed to come off is probably confusing for many and looks just like legal trouble when it blows off in the wind.

You could get an engineer to produce a design that would involve them supplying drawings that any builder should be comfortable quoting off, but that would cost a lot probably.

As an example take a look at the details of being an owner-builder in Vic: https://www.vba.vic.gov.au/owner-bui...-owner-builder

There's a lot of rules and regulations and as you can see they depend in many cases on how much you are spending on the work. (not suggesting you should be an owner-builder or that this info is even related, its just an example of regulations that may affect a builder's quote, or willingness to provide one).
Old 22-09-2021, 09:05 AM
RugbyRene (Rene)

Well this all seems like a pain in the backside. No wonder I'm thinking about leaving the hobby.
Old 22-09-2021, 10:02 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyRene View Post
Well this all seems like a pain in the backside. No wonder I'm thinking about leaving the hobby.
How do you eat an elephant?...a little bit at a time.

It is no big deal really and perhaps it is other things that is causing you to be somewhat negative...throw it off..it is as simple as saying.. its no big deal and I will pull it off"
Take some time to recharge perhaps.
Alex
Old 22-09-2021, 04:02 PM
Boozlefoot
SQM 21.98 mag./arc sec2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyRene View Post
No wonder I'm thinking about leaving the hobby.

Then why the obs?