Old 07-05-2005, 10:51 AM
Striker (Tony)
Whats visual Astronomy

Nikon D70S "New"

Is their any real difference between the new D70s and the old D70...I can pick up the new D70S body Only for just over $1400....is that a good price....?

The specs dont mean much to me....can anyone help...

Canon 350D or Nikon D70S...around the same price body only.

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php...roductNr=25218
Old 07-05-2005, 04:45 PM
rumples riot
Who knows

Tony I can't see any real differences between the D70 and the S version. However, I did not really look carefully, but I am sure the "S" is supposed to stand for something. Maybe the 2 " screen, and a few new features. But basically the same camera. That sounds like a good price. But you should also look at the Canon.

Happy choosing.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:31 PM
Striker (Tony)
Whats visual Astronomy

I will thanks Paul.....I just thought for the same price the Nikon may be the better value....I dont think the 8 megapixel Canon comparing to the Nikon 6.1 megapixel will make any difference for Astrophotography.

But I am still Keeping both in mind.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:34 PM
acropolite (Phil)

I believe that the 350D has the same sensor as the 20D which has improved noise performance over the 300D. Given that the 300D has a formidable reputation when it comes to astrophotography the 350D should be even better than the 300D. From what I've seen there are people getting very good (astro) results from both. The screen size hasn't got much relevance any size on an SLR is too small to be of much use. The 350D has an 8Mp sensor (the Nikon is still 6) which all reviewers agree is a bonus even if only giving a larger image to allow for cropping.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:52 PM
rumples riot
Who knows

Still got that problem with the bulb setting on the Canons though. Correct me if I am wrong, but they have to be forced to go beyond 5 minutes with software don't they?

I like the colour they produce but mucking around with the electronics and software is not my idea of fun. Thats why I got the Nikon aside from the fact that I have owned 4 Nikons now.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:35 PM
tornado33

Hi
The 300d can take virtually unlimited time exposures,
http://www.users.on.net/~josiah/temp/1houriso800f9.jpg
This is a full 1 hour individual exposure, using the standard remote switch.
Old 13-05-2005, 05:19 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

lol is that night time? It looks like day!

Would take some manipulation to edit out that sky glow
Old 16-05-2005, 12:06 AM
Jonathan

Re: Nikon D70S "New"

Quote:
Originally posted by Striker
...I can pick up the new D70S body Only for just over $1400....is that a good price....?
I've seen them for sale on ebay new for AUD$1200 + $60 postage for the body only. They are sent from Singapore, I don't know if that means there are extra taxes etc.
Old 16-05-2005, 09:18 AM
Striker (Tony)
Whats visual Astronomy

The price I got was from a local store.....I wouldn't buy a SLR camera on ebay...and yes their is extra duty and taxes importing from overseas...
Old 20-05-2005, 04:20 PM
silvinator
Lady Post-a-holic

I wouldn't buy a camera from ebay if it was being imported from hong kong or singapore etc either. Not only because of the taxes and duties, but also, most of these camera dealers on ebay try to charge high shipping prices, and only give you an international or sellers warranty, which means you'd have to send it back to the dealer to send back to hong kong or wherever to service it.
Tony, have you tried looking at dpreview for info about the D70s? I know you said you weren't fussed about the specs but here is a comparison chart of the D70, D70s and the D50 (another new model it seems) specs anyway: http://.http://www.dpreview.com/news...s.asp#compared And if you don't want to check out the specs, here is the important part of the blurb from the top of that page which basically sums up the differences:
Quote:
This camera has the same CCD sensor and imaging pipeline as the D70 so image quality should be identical. However several changes have been introduced including improved auto focus accuracy, slightly wider flash coverage, a higher capacity battery, a new larger 2.0" LCD monitor and re-designed menus.
So there doesn't seem to be much difference at all between the D70 and D70s.
Old 20-05-2005, 08:09 PM
seeker372011 (Narayan)
6EQUJ5

I wish I had listened to you guys before I bought my Canon off Ebay-from a company in Hong Kong..

touch wood so far its all worked out fine except I never costed into my estimate the processing fee that Australian Customs -bless their kind souls -charge you on top of GST

I still saved money compared to buying locally -though only marginally -and agree the saving isnt worth the aggravation
Old 20-05-2005, 08:23 PM
h0ughy (David)

try

www.centre.net.au

and look under cameras -digital -