Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories

Old 25-07-2021, 10:12 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Hello,

If you shift to lighter materials you should be able to keep it fairly light, not sure how close the loading already is on the mount though.

I'd be thinking about 5kilo hand weights to use as easy guide ropes to keep the box down as more of a worry.(like a weighted kite string holder really)

Also suggest abandoning the box design, easy to build but leaves you with large wind sheer faces and a cook top. Something along the lines of two cones sealed end to end at the bases, and a cutout for the scope. Be a lot friendlier in wind and a smaller top surface area. Make sure there is good gapping for air flow.

If you abandon a rigid design, create your own round/teepee drop cloth with half a dozen or so tent peg loops at the base and a air exchange at the center(top). (Take the hem low and the air vent fairly large and you shouldn't end up with a parachute...)

Steve

Last edited by mura_gadi; 25-07-2021 at 10:33 AM.
Old 25-07-2021, 12:20 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Well I think you are doing very well and I sense your desire to contribute to others enjoyment, which is a wonderful thing.

Carbon fibre!!!! Everyone will want one if it's carbon fibre....and add the word "turbo" in the name...although I am not sure "turbo" carries the same impact as in years gone by...but I guess what I am saying is that I think you have reached the point where the marketing department is called in and perhaps give some thought to colour options....in any event we need many field trips for testing so you had better start planing those.

Alex
Thanks, Carbon Fibre, that will be either my 3rd or 4th iteration. My next one will be poor person fibreglass, or as I put it Clayton's fibreglass.

I may provide options in the 3rd or 4th iteration combined. Work in progress.

As far as humidity, that is also a work in progress. The business I closed in 2015, I used to service Video surveillance systems for the railways and it was a common problem in sealed enclosures. Fortunately, there is no big build-up at the moment due to not enclosing it and preventing the rise in the upward movement of moist air.

In my final year project at Uni, I used a special plug that allows for air to release outward and block air flowing inwards. Another work in progress.
Old 26-07-2021, 04:23 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I am rather skilled with fibre glass but have not used carbon fibre which I gather is the same idea just using different matt. I often use filbre glass to strengthen ply wood and even make items in cardboard or thick paper and paint them with resin to great effect...I made a pier for my little heq5 in plywood and made it steel like with a couple of layers of glass and resin which I colour with black tile grout.
I purchased two little heater fans from some auto shop, not Super cheap but they are in the same shop as Jcar Lismore..but simple things..supposed to be car heaters or demisters and I would run them blowing up under my cover over the scope off an old battery that they would flatten, I know terrible but crook battery to start with , I have them packed away otherwise I would post a photo but one would by worth your investigation for you unit.
Even an exhaust fan (computer fan) with the intake thru something with absorption ability ...rice even...just over some silica gel...and the battery only has to last until Sun rise in effect.
Alex
Old 26-07-2021, 07:54 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
I am rather skilled with fibre glass but have not used carbon fibre which I gather is the same idea just using different matt. I often use filbre glass to strengthen ply wood and even make items in cardboard or thick paper and paint them with resin to great effect...I made a pier for my little heq5 in plywood and made it steel like with a couple of layers of glass and resin which I colour with black tile grout.
I purchased two little heater fans from some auto shop, not Super cheap but they are in the same shop as Jcar Lismore..but simple things..supposed to be car heaters or demisters and I would run them blowing up under my cover over the scope off an old battery that they would flatten, I know terrible but crook battery to start with , I have them packed away otherwise I would post a photo but one would by worth your investigation for you unit.
Even an exhaust fan (computer fan) with the intake thru something with absorption ability ...rice even...just over some silica gel...and the battery only has to last until Sun rise in effect.
Alex
I would like to achieve some skills with Fibreglass, I get the impression Carbon fibre is the same, maybe a different adhesive. But initially, I would rather start with Fake Fibreglass, using nylon fabric with some bitumen-based coating. This is the coating I am using at the moment on the outer shell of a large bag I got for really cheap. This bitumen coating is exactly as it says, waterproof and very good. Fibreglass though will last the longest.
I also have insulation internally as well, later I hope to build a simple temperature humidity monitor to carry out some tests.

Silica Gel is a good idea, it is one of the many things I am already looking at. Although as much as possible I will keep it as simple as possible to reduce costs.

Using a natural environment is definitely the best method, but not the most foolproof.
Old 26-07-2021, 08:26 PM
SB (Chris)

Hi All,
I use two 4WD windscreen reflective covers sewn together on the straight long side and the short sides. They were $4.50 each from K-Mart. The elastic is fastened in place round the scope mount front and back to hold the cover in place. Great when leaving out in the day time in Summer. Is shower proof also.

Chris.
Old 27-07-2021, 02:29 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB View Post
Hi All,
I use two 4WD windscreen reflective covers sewn together on the straight long side and the short sides. They were $4.50 each from K-Mart. The elastic is fastened in place round the scope mount front and back to hold the cover in place. Great when leaving out in the day time in Summer. Is shower proof also.

Chris.
Yes thats the stuff I use but I bought a long roll from Bunnings ...its big advantage as you say is saving gear from the heat.

Alex