Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2022, 07:26 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Lagoon..Something for nothing

I was only interested in getting my new guide scope and camera working but took some luminance and Ha while mucking about. I was interested to see if focus on the RASA was better and although not perfect is miles ahead of last month..even last week.

so 45 minutes exposure all up at 30 second subs and zero gain...yes zero gain.
Anyways did not think much of the subs but having to lay around today stacked them and played in startools and particularly photoshop...why lay around..well at midnight trying to close up the winch motors battery packed it in so I had to get a charger, fill the genny and wait for a while to get enough power to close the roof...I got to bed at 2 am and I cant take late nights these days as I am out of practice.

Dirty terminals so all I have done today was clean it up with new bits and a big clean...Although I got a call from Tabby as my new Asiair Plus had arrived so I can two ways now to sort out guiding. But just too tired to even open the box yet.

But happy as I can see potential with this scope as 45 minutes is not long really.

alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (lagoon.jpg)
217.8 KB68 views
Click for full-size image (lagoon2.jpg)
205.9 KB72 views
Old 07-07-2022, 11:32 PM
glend (Glen)

I like it Alex. Different colour scheme?
Old 08-07-2022, 06:03 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
I like it Alex. Different colour scheme?
I am very pleased that you like it and more so that you took your time to say so.
It is a long story as to how the colour got there particularly as I set out to do an entirely black and white shot but it seems even working in gray scale I can muck up the colours

I was too tired to go out last night unfortunately.

Alex
Old 08-07-2022, 10:02 PM
Dave882 (David)

Great stuff Alex! I’m glad you’re making progress. It sure is good to walk away with at least something from a night of trouble-shooting!

Yes I’d definitely say focus is improved- and gain 0 will help prevent some star bloat too. That’s where I leave it with my Hyperstar, probably will be your go-to gain for the RASA11 I’d say too.
Old 08-07-2022, 11:02 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave882 View Post
Great stuff Alex! I’m glad you’re making progress. It sure is good to walk away with at least something from a night of trouble-shooting!

Yes I’d definitely say focus is improved- and gain 0 will help prevent some star bloat too. That’s where I leave it with my Hyperstar, probably will be your go-to gain for the RASA11 I’d say too.
Thank you very much for your kind words David.
I am out there again tonight and not a thing is going right. Goto isnt working and because I did something with the camera tilt is back but I now know where to problem comes from...another night of photographing something that I dont know what it is or where it is and strangley it is incredibly exciting as there is tiny tiny object that has me intrigued so I am trying to get enough data to work out what it may be...and going for it not withstanding the problems..love it.
Sticking with zero gain.
Alex
Old 08-07-2022, 11:24 PM
Dave882 (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Thank you very much for your kind words David.
I am out there again tonight and not a thing is going right. Goto isnt working and because I did something with the camera tilt is back but I now know where to problem comes from...another night of photographing something that I dont know what it is or where it is and strangley it is incredibly exciting as there is tiny tiny object that has me intrigued so I am trying to get enough data to work out what it may be...and going for it not withstanding the problems..love it.
Sticking with zero gain.
Alex
I had to laugh when I read that - it sounds exactly like a few of my evenings have turned out lately. My last image I posted I think was ngc7090…what I didn’t post was I actually acquired 4hrs extra of pretty good data on a totally random piece of sky because my rig decided to do a random slew after I went to bed and continued on imaging this piece of sky till dawn.
Well, of course I stacked and processed the data!! Seemed like a waste not to
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (1720698D-AFEB-4DD8-9DE1-A6269F3D5352.jpg)
215.5 KB21 views
Old 08-07-2022, 11:52 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave882 View Post
I had to laugh when I read that - it sounds exactly like a few of my evenings have turned out lately. My last image I posted I think was ngc7090…what I didn’t post was I actually acquired 4hrs extra of pretty good data on a totally random piece of sky because my rig decided to do a random slew after I went to bed and continued on imaging this piece of sky till dawn.
Well, of course I stacked and processed the data!! Seemed like a waste not to
On the horizontal a little to the right is something a little fuzzy..that looks interesting..alex
Old 09-07-2022, 12:50 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
On the horizontal a little to the right is something a little fuzzy..that looks interesting..alex
I agree there is a faint fuzzy there that looks like a galaxy, almost buried in the noise. It would help if you guys could publish the co-ordinates that your aiming at. I suppose we could try plate solving that image to find out what that object is. Might be a fun competition.
Old 09-07-2022, 01:11 AM
Dave882 (David)

Lol- I was going to ask my ASAIR where it was pointing but apparently it was off on smoko at the time and the eq8 is playing dumb. I reckon they’re up to something…

Luckily nova.astronomy.net solved it!

Sorry Alex- I’ll stop hijacking your thread now. Hopefully just a bit of mutual encouragement for all those nights that start with such good intentions and end up somewhere else
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (9C5DA42F-37C2-4DC6-8CC7-55B4B48954A2.jpg)
177.9 KB19 views
Old 09-07-2022, 08:10 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

No worries David I dont consider you are hijacking at all...I would like to think we encourage other folk to adopt the happy attitude of enjoying your astro expeiences even if things dont go the way you plan...AND Glen I have no idea where the thing I was taking test shots of was at all ..plate solving to the rescue if the image is acceptable.. but other than that ..almost above at around 11pm ..the scope was oriented to be upright to make filter changes adjustments etc....so maybe I was more interested in checking tilt changes which come in because I have to back off a particular fitting to release the filter..It was great to hold a filter in place but the change in tilt means I will need to remove the offending lip...more angle grinder work and a hair tie for filter security

Looking at what I got however makes me wish that I had made a note as to where as it turned out to be a nice dust cloud that wants to be called " the claw" ... And closing up I find that I have a stuffed wheel and how I will fix it I don't know as I have to Jack up the roof to get at it ... but so lucky that I found it before something major happened.

I will have a serious go at processing that test data ( as I will call it) as what I was shooting looks rather nice.

Alex