Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 23-01-2022, 08:41 PM
bluesilver (Peter)

size comparison iOptron Cem 120 vs Skywatcher AZ/EQ6

Hi, just thought i would show the differance in size comparasion of a iOptron CEM120 to a Skywatcher AZ/EQ6 mount
The iOptron is going to be used the same as the AZ/EQ6 where it is set up and taken down each observing night.
A few reports ,say that they are too heavy for this, but surprisingly it is not so,
Only difference is where on the AZ/EQ6 where i take out the head and tripod as one piece, the Cem120 goes out as the tripod, then the mount.

It arrive much quicker than expected, 1 month from order to delivery.
Below is a size comparison if anyone was interested or thinking about the iOptron Cem120
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (1.jpg)
60.9 KB69 views
Click for full-size image (2.jpg)
61.5 KB63 views
Old 23-01-2022, 09:34 PM
Startrek (Martin)

The iOptron looks like a beast of a mount compared to the AZEQ6, nice solid mount !!
Any reason why you pack it away each night ?
In Sydney my EQ6-R and Newt stays out for months at a time on the paved area near my pool just with a scope cloak ( I just bring the cameras and Lappy in ) I use to strip it down and take it inside each session but it drove me insane ( 2 hour set up ) and 61 years of age it wears you out a bit.
I’m guessing the weather in Tassie during winter is not kind to mounts and scopes or maybe a security reason ???
Cheers
Martin
Old 24-01-2022, 08:16 AM
bluesilver (Peter)

Only reason i pack it away each night is that i haven't really got a dedicated area for it to stay setup that won't be in the way, even though I am country area with plenty of open space here.
Plus yes, in winter, nights are cold, getting to -10 some nights.
I am looking at one of those Nextdome kits to setup at a letter time down the track I think.
I have found the Commander program iOptron uses is much easier to setup than EQMod also, Basically just install, turn on and it dose the rest for you.
Just need to wait for some clear nights to give it a good run now.
Old 24-01-2022, 09:15 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesilver View Post
Only reason i pack it away each night is that i haven't really got a dedicated area for it to stay setup that won't be in the way, even though I am country area with plenty of open space here.
Plus yes, in winter, nights are cold, getting to -10 some nights.
I am looking at one of those Nextdome kits to setup at a letter time down the track I think.
I have found the Commander program iOptron uses is much easier to setup than EQMod also, Basically just install, turn on and it dose the rest for you.
Just need to wait for some clear nights to give it a good run now.
The NexDome is a great Obs
Folk told me to put it on a slab , glad I didn’t, mines on a deck 400mm off the ground with 4 piers underneath ( 3 for tripod , one for future pier mount ) Well ventilated , no dew or moisture issues and cool in summer. Surprisingly very few spiders and bugs etc..The deck was great for running services underneath, I have no cables on the floor area and can add and remove cables as necessary with my underfloor conduit system
There are a few tricks to know when building these, in particular the wall set outs , that’s the most critical part of the build.
Hope you get to buy one , you’ll never look back
Cheers
Martin
Old 24-01-2022, 09:44 AM
AdamJL

Looks great. What's the tri-pier like? Very interested in that, personally.
Old 24-01-2022, 09:49 AM
AdamJL

p.s. as for packing away each night, have you ever thought about building a dolly for it? That could save you a lot of time. Plenty of threads about the process over on Cloudy Nights.
Old 24-01-2022, 02:03 PM
bluesilver (Peter)

The tri-pier is very rock solid and not all that heavy, but not light either.
The AZ/EQ6 is a great mount, but i am running a Esprit150 on it and it was just a little too much for it as the length of the scope.
I could build a dolly for it easy enough, i build one for my 16" Dobsonian.
It just takes up too much space if i leave the CEM120 full setup and storing it in the garage.