Old 09-05-2021, 11:06 AM
garymck (Gary)

Skywatcher AZGTI + Esprit 80mm?

Hi,

wondering if anyone has any experience of the Skywatcher AZGTI in equatorial mode with an Esprit 80mm or similar with a camera? The Esprit is a bit weighty, but since the equatorial mode has a counterweight for dec, and thus things can be balanced well, seems like it might work?

Opinions/experiences please...
TIA
Gary
Old 09-05-2021, 09:50 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Gary,

Waaaayyy too heavy. It’s not just about the balance but the pressure on the gear train. It just wasn’t designed for the tracking precision for imaging with that sort of payload...

Most I’ve used is a WO Z61 + Canon and it does OK.

If you fancy stripping it down and giving a re-lube and a bit of tuning, you may have some luck. An Esprit 80 is still not a small scope though.
Old 10-05-2021, 07:43 AM
garymck (Gary)

Thanks Dunk, will give it a miss...any ideas for a super lightweight mount for the Esprit 80?
cheers
Gary
Old 10-05-2021, 09:28 AM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

For imaging or visual? If just visual, the Az-Gti easily swings around an Astro-Tech 80ED (ca. 3-4kg). The tripod is the weakest link, it’s wobbly. It is easily replaced, though, since the mount uses a standard 3/8” photo thread bolt.
Old 10-05-2021, 09:37 AM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

I have a 100 on an AZ-EQ5 as my travel scope. It's a little larger than I would have hoped for but is a fine mount.

You may be able to get away with the smaller EQM35 provided you don't expect too much from it. Its about as light weight as they get to carry 5kg with some rigidity.

I also considered iOptrons CEM 26 which looks great, but ultimately I chose a mount that could be used in alt-az mode for daytime birding/whale watching etc etc.
Old 10-05-2021, 10:24 AM
garymck (Gary)

Thanks...will have a look at the eq35m pro, rated at 10kg, so might be ok with an imaging load of 6kg...

Gary
Old 10-05-2021, 10:45 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

There's a bit of a gap in the market IMO. I'd go with Jonathan and the AZ-EQ5... be a pretty versatile mount, but not small and light.

Fwiw I find my Esprit to be very sharp, and like to push the resolution limits (challenging in SE QLD!), but as a result it demands a mount that tracks well.