Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events

Old 21-01-2010, 10:11 PM
Newbie79 (Matt)

Good Dark sky location in GLadstone QLD???

Hi, Just wondering if anyone knows of a good dark sky location in the GLadstone QLD area.

Thanks to the street light right outside and all the industry in the area it is constant 'daylight' in my backyard.

Thanks

Matt
Old 30-12-2018, 11:45 PM
Omnius (Tye)

Hiya there, I have just moved here. While I haven't yet checked out the area my guess is Lady Larcom would be the best bet.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:19 AM
ngcles
The Observologist

Hi Newbie 79 & All,

I've only been to Gladstone once in my life for two nights and the light pollution, for just a good-sized town, is beyond belief! They have gone nuts in the port and the smelter with a gazillion low-pressure sodium light. In the centre of town the sky is bright orange. You have my pity. I'd be heading 30-40km W or better SW and put that awful light-dome as far as you can in the NE sky.

Not a great place to be in the middle of Gladsone for a beginner!

You can use the light pollution map here to find a better site:

https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#...rs=B0FFTFFFFFT

Best,

L.
Old 30-06-2021, 04:15 PM
Gregted (Greg Tedford)

Dark sky sites in Gladstone

Hi Matt and Tye and others.

I'm aware this is an old post but I've just got back into photography and built a bard-door tracker for my Nikon D3400 and found an app to control long timed shots.

I've been to Pikes Crossing on the Awoonga Dam road and it is pretty good for dark skies.

Also behind the Crematorium at Boyne Island is not as creepy as it sounds and pretty dark for some light painting and milky way shots.

I've even got some reasonable shots of the milky way from my backyard at Tannum and we've got a street light out the front.

If anyone wants the details of the tracker, drop me a line. Works perfectly for 120 seconds shots with no star trails. Slight trails at 180 seconds so I've got to tweak the speed a little for longer shots but 120 seconds work out well.
Old 06-04-2023, 01:29 PM
Omnius (Tye)

Hi Greg,

I moved to Boyne Island. I usually go to the No. 1 look out at the Dam. I was thinking the wall at Kroombit Tops would also be a good spot.
I will try behing the memorial park.