Old 11-04-2006, 07:26 PM
Snibs
Mick at Coffs Harbour

DSLR's and Ebay.

Hi all.
I see ebay has a ton of 350D's ranging from just over $1000 and up shipped, I have had many dealings on ebay and never had any trouble yet BUT I have never bought a camera from ebay so my question is, is there something I'm missing as to version etc. They all seem to be what you can buy here but the best price I have found is $1550 but that is with the 2 lense kit.
Many thank you's again from Mick.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:53 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Mick,
I wouldn't buy a camera from ebay because if you have a problem with warranty it may be difficult or even impossible to rectify if the dealer is OS. For example from Teds, a reputable Australian dealer (with a shopfront) you can get the 350D twin lens kit for $1599. Add the freight for the Ebay item and you'll probably be over the $1599 Teds are asking anyway. http://www.teds.com.au/www/6/1001102..._1005803_.html It would be well worth checking other Oz dealers.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:03 PM
Snibs
Mick at Coffs Harbour

Yes I had thought of that but a few are from Sydney and say shipped from Sydney so I don't know there. The second lense would be nice but at this stage I would rather save $350 - $400 and just have the 18 - 55. The 2 lense job for $1550 was here in Coffs but it's a big jump from $899 for a so so Pentax to a 350D price wise but most I have read so far favours the 350D. Thanks again.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:05 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Do you want to use it for astro, or normal terrestrial work?
Old 11-04-2006, 08:22 PM
cjmarsh81

I don't think I would buy something as expensive as a dslr on Ebay. Too risky, but then again you may like gambling.

A couple things to consider about warranty. One for the reason already listed that getting warranties honoured from an Ebay auction is not always possible.
The other is these cameras are very possibly ordered direct from overseas to cut down on price. I know some companies that will not honour warranties if you did not purchase the item from an authorised dealer. Some won't even service it after the warranty expires because it is what they call a 'grey import'. Could make it difficult down the track.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:10 PM
Snibs
Mick at Coffs Harbour

For both Mike.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:03 AM
Jonathan

The biggest concern is the warranty as was said above. You want it to come with an international warranty so Canon will look after it if there's a problem. You don't want a dealer or sellers warranty.
Another thing to watch out for is the standard accessories that it should come with. It may not come with things such as battery, charger (240volt?)and manuals. There's some really bad camera shops and sellers on ebay so be very careful. For my money I'd be hunting down the best deal in Australia.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:15 AM
Jonathan

Here's a few links to Australian online shops that I've used in the past without any problems.

http://www.dirtcheapcameras.com.au/s...?idProduct=373
http://www.cameraaction.com.au/produ...60969&dept=18#
http://www.digitalcity.net.au/store/...idProduct=1936
Old 12-04-2006, 01:44 PM
Snibs
Mick at Coffs Harbour

Canon say they will look after any camera sold in Australia but not if bought from overseas.....think I will stick with camera house just to be safe.