Old 28-08-2009, 04:59 PM
TheDecepticon

LPS-P2 filter

Hello,
I'm getting some bits together for my QHY8 purchase. I still haven't heard back from Gama regarding where the UV/IR filter sits as I want to get Peter Tan's QHY8 to MPCC adapter and if I don't need an extra filter it would be good if I didn't have to buy one. Also, is the IDAS LPS-P2 filter the right one for light pollution for imaging, as he has these at a good price also.
Thanks,
Graham.
Old 28-08-2009, 06:16 PM
Tandum (Robin)

Yep the IDAS is the right one and the nosepiece on the qhy8 has the i/r filter built in. The nosepiece is like a normal T-thread to 2" nose but there is a chamber arrangment built into it which has the i/r filter, glued in I guess. They then screw a 48->42 adapter ring onto the end of the nosepiece so it presents a T-thread. That 48->42 ring was constantly coming away from the camera here as I unscrewed various adapters. I'm on the virge of running some silicon around it's thread to keep it in.
Old 28-08-2009, 11:24 PM
TheDecepticon

Thanks, Ive ordered both. If the adapter is wrong in relation to length and fit, I'll just have it machined it down.
Cheers
Old 28-08-2009, 11:32 PM
Tandum (Robin)

You'll be right, the cameras are all the same. Mine smoked when I first turned it on. Chinese crap, but you get what ya pay for
Old 28-08-2009, 11:35 PM
TheDecepticon

What smoked?
Old 28-08-2009, 11:39 PM
Tandum (Robin)

The white box. I took a set of bias shots to find my gain/offset settings. Got that and set it doing a 5 minute dark and that killed it. They replaced it pretty quick but it just shows the quality control. And all the cables that come with it are crap as well. I bet you thought this was a quality product

[edit]
gain/offset settings :- http://www.lightstorm.at/pdfs/QHY8_settings.pdf

I find gain zero for bright objects and gain 50 for dim objects works for me. I use maxim.
Old 28-08-2009, 11:49 PM
TheDecepticon

Hmmmm, yes and no! I thought the camera might be good but some of the other stuff may be a bit sub standard. Nothing in this hobby is built really well. It seems if you buy a scope, the focuser is weak or it has coma, cameras need cables, filters need threads cleaned, etc.
I had already planned to replace the cables because of length issues, and I can get gear like that cheap, so that is ok, just didn't expect to here about the white box problem.
Any one else have any problems, I wonder. I didn't know you had one till now, but the others I have checked with haven't got any poor reports. Most of it seems quite positive.

I will probably use Maxim also as I have it already. Or maybe thinking of Nebulosity 2. Any images I could look at from your imaging sessions
Old 28-08-2009, 11:58 PM
Tandum (Robin)

It takes nice pics, I have a couple up on my gallery, not many, I've spent far too much time getting this little mono camera working, and loving it. 1.4mega pixel heaven Wait till I get the starlight plugged into the 10" newt that arrived in the mail today
Old 29-08-2009, 04:17 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Newt?
10 inch Newt?
What's goin' on there Robin!?
Old 29-08-2009, 04:33 PM
Tandum (Robin)

Aperture fever Got one of those basic cheap GSO dobs from Andrews, rings from Les and a focuser from moonlight. Should have it together for barambah
Old 29-08-2009, 09:10 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Cool!
You should be able to do some serious damage with that and dark skies! Not sure I can do Barambah this time around. Have fun though!
(pardon me nagging in your thread Graham....)
Old 29-08-2009, 09:42 PM
TheDecepticon

I don't mind, just mention the word filter occasionally and I'll be happy! Oh, and aperture always gets me excited as well!!