Old 26-08-2009, 09:43 PM
Harpspitfire

Guidemaster

is there a basic set-up for Guidemaster? i cant find start up info from the website- i tried it the other day and the screen said 'guiding' but it really wasnt, so i turned on PHD instead, i think i missing some info how to get Guidemaster actually set-up- john ( i use the ASGT mount)
Old 27-08-2009, 08:48 AM
Terry B
Country living & viewing

What guide camera are you using?
Old 27-08-2009, 09:34 AM
Harpspitfire

nexiamge webcam/ 80mm ST-- its works fine with PHD, but PHD is slow calibrating- i get a bright guidestar in guidemaster, but dont really know the start-up procedure and all those 'settings'
Old 27-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Terry B
Country living & viewing

Guidemaster has a configurtion tab. You need to enter in it the type of camera, focal length of the scope, how the guiding occurs ie in camara like my QHY5 or serial/ parallel etc.
Other choices are correcting both RA and Dec. Backlast compensation.
I don't bother with backlash compensation as I find I guide better with it of.
I will write a "how too" when I'm at home as the software is great when you have it set up.
Old 27-08-2009, 11:57 PM
Harpspitfire

thx
Old 28-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Terry B
Country living & viewing

OK
I finally have some time to do this.
Steps:
General tab, setup, telescope.
Choose your interface for guideing.
I use 5000ms in each box with 1 cycle but disable dec backlash.

Tab "Guiding Scope"
Enter the focal length. The other settings I have as :
Max error 0
Delay 50
Max slew 1000
alarm 0
enable adaptive filtering
Start guiding immediately

Tab "DSLR"
disable

Tab "Guiding Imager"
I think you use the video for windows tab and then enter the no modified. You will have to experiment with this as I don't have that sort of camera.

The program likes you to turn it off and restart it after you have changed the settings so do this.
Hopefully there will be an image on the screen. If not click on the camera tab and start the camera.
Enter 2000 in the little box inside the compas and push a button. Hopefully you will see the stars move. Orient the camera so that camera moves up when you push the N button. Then push the W button. The star should move to the left (in the oposite direction to the direction the W button is pointing). If it moves the other way then you need to change the direction by opening the "telescope" tab and clicking on "Invert RA".
This is all the set up needed. For my scope on an equatorial mount I have to unclick the Invert RA button if I am pointing east and click it for pointing west. This is the only time I change these settings.

The next step is to start the guiding. I use 0.5 sec exposures and then click on the dark button. You need to then click on the focus button or it won't let you proceed to the calibration.
Click on calibration. It will ask if you want it to auto search. I always say no as it sometimes will find a hot pixel rather than a star. You then click on the star you want after each move. It will move all 4 directions then ask if you wan't to keep the settings. Say "Yes".
Then click on a guide star and let it go.
You can play with the sliders etc when it is giuding to find what is the best for your set up.

Hopefully this is helpful.
cheer
Old 28-08-2009, 09:50 PM
Harpspitfire

yea thx!- i printed it out and will give it a go--- if these clouds ever find another home