Seems a good price, and local too.
Old 14-11-2005, 01:09 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Or is this one better?
Old 14-11-2005, 01:17 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Nah, you need a StarMate Mike and get Robby to modify if for you platform Full remote operation then

Looks like a good price, though I use the cable release (from the EOS500) if I'm using one at all and velcro it to the mount and find that it works fine. Are you thinking at this stage of piggybacking to your platformed Dob? If so then the full remote control would probably be the way. Less likelihood of vibration even with the mirror lock.
Old 14-11-2005, 01:20 PM
TidaLpHasE
Gone fish'n

The first one seems like it would be perfect, no wires, leads, and definately no camera shake using a wireless remote

Only thing is replacing the batteries, maybe not even an issue?

I got the RS-60E3 remote lead for $29, works well and no need to replace any batteries

You must be happy with the new toy, i know i was when i got my 350, and still am very happy.

Gee that was an effort to post, a long wait for any connection
Old 14-11-2005, 01:30 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Going by the Blurb Mike the second one (RC-1) is better than the first (RC-5). Doesn't specify why though. The first one certainly looks a lot bigger.
Old 14-11-2005, 01:33 PM
xstream (John)
Grey Nomad

Mike, Mine came with the RC-1 remote which is excellent allows you to operate from up to 5 m away with a 2 sec delay or immediate shutter release. So far I have found it excellent. I think it would be a similar cost to your first choice.
Old 14-11-2005, 02:04 PM
Robby

Be very careful of those IR wireless remotes for the 300D/350D...
If you are coupling to a scope you will have problems. Reason being the IR receiver for the camera is in the front, so will "out of sight" for the remote...... This was the main reason I went Canon over Nikon. At least with Canon you have the option of wiring in the remote. Go for the wired remote (RS60-E3) Mike & save yourself a lot of grief... I'm assuming you want to do long "Bulb" exposures with it..???
Star-mate is of course the best option, and when you get your AN you can use it as a remote control for that as well...
Old 14-11-2005, 02:13 PM
cventer

Also depends what you will be using it for. You can buy cheap ones on ebay as you have seen or if you want the most functionality possible, then get a TC-80N3. Its designed for the 20D and 20Da but is trivial to modify to work with the 300/350D. Just requires the N3 plug to be cut off and a 2.5mm Male Stereo plug put in its place.

You can find them on ebay for arounf $160 au. Short of using a serial remote bulb cable and a laptop it will provide more remote control and shot sequencing functionality than you need. You can program sequeces of exposures inlcuding delays between them.

Regards
Chris Venter
Old 14-11-2005, 02:18 PM
Robby

Quote:
Originally Posted by cventer
it will provide more remote control and shot sequencing functionality than you need. You can program sequeces of exposures inlcuding delays between them.
Just like a star-mate mate
Old 14-11-2005, 03:24 PM
fringe_dweller
on the highway to Hell

Thanks Guys I am in the market for a remote myself.. I previously had great success with tripod wide field shots just pressing the button gently with my finger!! I have never had a camera that could do that!!