Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15-06-2021, 02:12 PM
RugbyRene (Rene)

Is astrophotography the worst "Cost-per-Use" hobby ever?

As I stare out of my window in Sydney and contemplate another lost night of imaging due to clouds, it got me wondering whether astrophotography is the worst "cost-per-use" hobby ever. Given how much we spend on equipment and how many times a year we actually use it, the ROI is pretty damn low.

Thoughts?

Rene
Old 15-06-2021, 02:23 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

the equipment lasts forever
Old 15-06-2021, 02:26 PM
RugbyRene (Rene)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
the equipment lasts forever
Yeah but we don't and neither does my patience.

And might I add it's hard to get proficient at a hobby when you practice it so infrequently. With the bad weather in Sydney I've imaged maybe 6 times all year.
Old 15-06-2021, 02:37 PM
Alchemy (Clive)
Quietly watching

Initial outlay hurts a bit, but the long term approach isn’t bad.
It’s also one of those you can do for a reasonable amount, or you can sink a fortune into it. Modest mount, smallish refractor and a colour camera, can get great results. You don’t need to have the very best.
Old 15-06-2021, 02:50 PM
sunslayr (David)

I think the problem is you're not investing enough. If you had 2 telescopes set up, you could get twice as much out of every clear night . Just wait for the next full moon, thats usually the only time I get a clear night.
Old 15-06-2021, 03:13 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunslayr View Post
I think the problem is you're not investing enough. If you had 2 telescopes set up, you could get twice as much out of every clear night . Just wait for the next full moon, thats usually the only time I get a clear night.
this ^^^^^^
Old 15-06-2021, 03:20 PM
Imme (Jon)

Definitely not - 1/10 scale Nitro onroad remote control car racing is!

You can only race on specific tracks, many of which are closed the majority of the time and race meets occur more often than not on a monthly basis.

I was in to it in a big way for a while before i had a realisation that the money i was spending didn't equate to the enjoyment i was getting.

.......I must say though, my 'realisation' came a few minutes after my car lost connection with my controller causing it to run head on into a wall at around 90km/h at the end of the straight.....new front end and CF chassis required at a cost of a little over $1k.......this was a follow up to a crash the month prior where i spent $600 replacing the RHS front/rearwheel mounting hardware following another crash! Both the above 'drives' lasted under a minute from memory........so lets call it $13 a second for the 'fun' I was having.

Many would say it was lack of skill........but i was one of the better drivers!
Old 15-06-2021, 03:34 PM
glend (Glen)

Owning a boat is far far worse, and the bigger the boat the higher the cost per use. There is good reason boats are called, " a hole in the water that you pour money into" .
Old 15-06-2021, 03:59 PM
toc (Tim)

And now matter how good you think you are getting there is always someone better than you.

Think I'm finally over deluding myself that better more expensive gear will suddenly make my images not suck
Old 15-06-2021, 04:28 PM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Hello,

Hear hear to this one a boat is " a hole in the water that you pour money into"...

Fishing ain't bad, I know one individual with over $60K's of artificial baits/lures... From tiny flies to massive game fishing lures. And he doesn't always catch a fish...

At least with astrophotography the pictures will last a lifetime, and the shot can always be returned to for more data.

Steve
Old 15-06-2021, 05:06 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Rene,
Tonight looks like clearing by 9.30pm - 10.00pm and Thursday night looks clear all night
Just remember January and June are traditionally Sydney’s wettest months , July , August and September will provide more clear nights for us all !!
Be patient !!
When you get some clear nights you will forget about all the cloudy days and nights waiting
It’s part of the hobby dealing with Mother Nature
Hope you get your Obs underway soon
Martin
Old 15-06-2021, 05:51 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Owning a boat is far far worse, and the bigger the boat the higher the cost per use. There is good reason boats are called, " a hole in the water that you pour money into" .
So true Glen, mine was $200 a month for the mooring, each year it would cost $5k to $7k for slipping, anti foul and repairs, $4k when it sunk at the mooring plus the following slip fees...and every trip to Bunnings $200 went in stuff...so the last time it was due to be slipped I gave it away..folk thought I was generous but the way I saw it I saved $7k slip etc and stopped the other outgoing.

I gave up motocross when younger cause each race was costing a front and rear sprocket and chain and more often than not a new rear tyre... and you had to have a new bike at start of each new season...therefore I think Astronomy can be relatively inexpensive.
Drag racing is the expensive one..fuel $100 a second
Alex
Old 15-06-2021, 07:46 PM
AdamJL

Such a funny thread I was thinking this very same thing on the weekend past.
I recently purchased a setup to use a Canon 100mm Macro. All up about $800. To support one lens. For really only massive targets visible for 3 months of the year. At weekends. When the weather is good...
what was I thinking?!
Old 15-06-2021, 08:20 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyRene View Post
As I stare out of my window in Sydney and contemplate another lost night of imaging due to clouds, it got me wondering whether astrophotography is the worst "cost-per-use" hobby ever. Given how much we spend on equipment and how many times a year we actually use it, the ROI is pretty damn low.
Ever considered you live in the wrong part of the country
Old 15-06-2021, 08:48 PM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
Ever considered you live in the wrong part of the country
I’d build a cottage on the far side of the Moon, but the residential zoning there is such a bureaucratic quagmire…
Old 15-06-2021, 08:53 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffen View Post
I’d build a cottage on the far side of the Moon, but the residential zoning there is such a bureaucratic quagmire…
Sounds great! But I hear the daytime Sun is even brighter than QLD
Old 15-06-2021, 08:58 PM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
Sounds great! But I hear the daytime Sun is even brighter than QLD
Yep, but if you angle the scope away somewhat you can still view faint galaxies at noon.
Old 15-06-2021, 09:44 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyRene View Post
......... it got me wondering whether astrophotography is the worst "cost-per-use" hobby ever. .

Thoughts?

Rene
Only if you purchase all the gear an never use it .. Guilty.
Old 16-06-2021, 09:22 AM
RugbyRene (Rene)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Tucker View Post
Only if you purchase all the gear an never use it .. Guilty.
Well that's the problem. I can barely use it because the weather is crap so it makes me wonder what's the point of owning thousands of dollars worth of equipment and never being able to take it out. Today for example looks beautiful in Sydney. Blue sky and sunshine. But it's forecast to rain tonight, so another night list. Makes me want to give it all up and take up a hobby where I can actually use my equipment. I knew this hobby was weather dependent but I'm barely able to take it out and use it.
Old 16-06-2021, 09:56 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Hello,

Maybe a darksky astroholiday is what you need.

You can spend a lot of money on astro gear, $600-1k a year to get 5-10 days at a darksite is a worthy investment...

Steve
ps. You can get out of town for the night for as little as $6 a night at national parks. Plenty of good sites that have few if any visitors if you avoid the well known parks.

Pps. If you use state forests/parks make sure they do NOT allow shooting would be my recommendation.

Last edited by mura_gadi; 16-06-2021 at 12:41 PM. Reason: pps